jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (10 posts)

Google says,"This website can harm your computer". What does it mean?

1. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 7 years ago

I was looking for some information in Google, there was some note like,"this website can harm your computer,use it at your own risk", something like that. I never opened it but could not figure out the meaning of this. Any ideas? How could opening a website harm my computer?

2. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 7 years ago

That would be a website that has been known to host malware in the past. So you could get your computer infected by visiting that site. You do not have to download files deliberately to get infected, this can happen simply by your browser interacting with an infected site.

3. Uninvited Writer profile image84
    Uninvited Writerposted 7 years ago

Viruses could be automatically downloaded, too many pop-ups, etc.

1. profile image0
      Home Girlposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, but who wants to... oh, I see, automatically. Well, why Google allows that?

1. Uninvited Writer profile image84
        Uninvited Writerposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Google can't control what shows up on searches.

1. profile image0

I thought they do control for some extent. May be not. I wanted to open that website anyway but something hold me back, I am glad I didn't. My virus protection next to nothing.

1. profile image0
            Website Examinerposted 7 years agoin reply to this

They do have a measure of control, see my post. It has been a pleasure trying to assist you.

2. profile image0

A site may produce a warning even though it is currently clean. The warning pertains to known issues in the past. Webmasters can request to have their sites checked and then removed from the blacklist.

On the other hand, Google does have the power to exclude sites from its searches by de-indexing them, if it so wishes.

1. profile image0

Thanks, WE, good to know.

1. profile image0

You are welcome.

working