Amazon -Good Traffic - No Income

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (17 posts)
  1. Barbara Kay profile image73
    Barbara Kayposted 13 years ago

Does anyone else have this problem? I get lots of visitors to Amazon, but never earn income.

1. ThomasE profile image67
      ThomasEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I’m new here, so I don’t have a lot of experience, but I don’t think it’s a case of just attracting visitors, with Amazon you need to attract visitors in a buying mood. I’ve had a look at your hubs and they are all great and informative. However, they are mainly how-to articles and interesting info type articles.

I think you are attracting people who want to learn something interesting, and you are delivering on that promise.

You can get the occasional purchaser from that crowd, but more often than not they aren’t interested in buying at that moment... that are still researching...   

From what I can see, if you want to attract more money via amazon, you either need to write a lot of hubs, and play the numbers game, or you need to aim to specifically attract buyers. And that means sales hubs and product hubs.

But your articles will attract lots of visitors because they are interesting and well written, so I think if you do what you are doing you will still make good money via adsense.

1. Susana S profile image90
        Susana Sposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If it was possible to rate up a post, I'd rate this one smile

You're absolutely right Thomas. To sell stuff on amazon you want people on your pages that already have their debit card out and are ready to buy.

2. warchild75 profile image64
      warchild75posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I used to have loads of traffic and the odd sale here and there,then every hub i did in the last moth i have added amazon too and done some specific sales type hubs and hey presto sold 12 items in November!!smile Keep at it you will get there.

3. sarovai profile image74
      sarovaiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I too.

2. Urbane Chaos profile image90
    Urbane Chaosposted 13 years ago

Don't feel like you're the only one.. I struggle with this myself.  Hopefully someone can add a few good pointers that'll help us Amazon-less hubbers out.

3. Eleanor's Words profile image94
    Eleanor's Wordsposted 13 years ago

Hi Barbara,

I had a quick look at your profile, though didn't read your hubs - from just seeing the titles I can tell that your hubs are probably not really optimised for Amazon. I believe it is quite hard to make money on Amazon unless you have written quite specific, product-based hubs, otherwise you are not attracting a buying crowd.

Actually this is my second account - I have another which started out as my main account. I do not have any product based hubs on there and made no money eith amazon. On this account I'm doing really well with amazon in quite a short base of time (although of course it is christmas).

4. profile image0
    Toby Hansenposted 13 years ago

In my short time here on HP, I have learned one very important lesson:
    Write it and write it well, amazon/adsense it, promote it (within TOS), and sit back and wait for it to mature.
    If you post it, they will come!

Barbara Kayposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for all the help.

5. wilderness profile image93
    wildernessposted 13 years ago

I have to agree with ThomasE.  I also mainly write "how to" hubs, and started out putting Amazon capsules in them.  I got some Amazon traffic, but earned about $16 in 5 months while Adsense produced over $100.

Later, I began to write sales hubs, dedicated to selling a product or products.  November alone has seen over $80 in Amazon income - my best ever by a huge factor.  I understand the Xmas season is here, but an increase of 1000% still says something.  I had never reached the 7 sales needed to increase the commission rate; Nov. saw 43 sales.

I also note that very nearly all my Amazon sales comes from "sales" type hubs rather than "how to" hubs.  I don't particularly enjoy writing sales hubs, and I do enjoy writing how to hubs, but for that kind of income increase I will do it.  Plus the surprise factor is always fun; in Nov. I sold 8 charlie brown DVD's and a huge pack of baby diapers.  Neither of which even remotely comes from my hubs!

Barbara Kayposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for commenting. I guess I'll need to start writing sales hubs, but it sounds terrible to me. I enjoy writing what I want to at the moment, not a profitable way to go.

1. wilderness profile image93
        wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

On the plus side, Barbara, I find that sales hubs for Amazon are quick and easy to write when compared to my preferred "how to" hub.  They only take 1/4 of the time and effort or less.

On the down side, they won't be evergreen.  Even if the product line sticks around for years, the Amazon ads you use in the capsules probably won't.  I try to use the "keyword" function rather than "specific products" but it often isn't possible and even that will deteriorate into nonsense in enough time.

But...you can make money at it, so I write them.  Most of my effort, out of necessity, goes into making money here, not just having fun.

2. Susana S profile image90
        Susana Sposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If you prefer writing how to and infomational articles that's fine. You can still earn money from them it's just that the majority of the money will come from adsense rather than amazon.

3. Brie Hoffman profile image60
        Brie Hoffmanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I also prefer other kinds of hubs...rather than sales hubs but one thing that has helped me is finding products that I really like.  Look around and write a hub about a product you are excited about already.

6. barryrutherford profile image74
    barryrutherfordposted 13 years ago

Barbara Kay

If it is any consulation I have yet to earn a cent from Amazon

7. gracenotes profile image90
    gracenotesposted 13 years ago

Barbara Kay,

Wilderness is correct.  Amazon product review hubs take a lot more "bird-dogging."  It's inevitable that some of your products are just going to fall out of favor, as they become less trendy.  And as he said, if you enter specific ASIN's, sometimes those will disappear over time, and you'll be left with a blank spot on your capsule where a product should be.  I can't imagine what it would be like to have to watch and update 200 Amazon hubs.

If you feel that you can't honestly recommend a product because you don't own it or you've never seen it demonstrated, you can always review something that looks good, but has no moving parts and nothing to break down or require a software update.  You may not make a lot on commissions though.  Oh well.  I'm really torn about the whole Amazon thing.  I kind of enjoy writing a sales hub if I relate to the product personally.  I actually sold a couple of books the other day, which stunned me.  smile

8. CodyPhrenism profile image56
    CodyPhrenismposted 13 years ago

In order to do well with affiliate sales, it certainly works best to attract visitors who pretty much have their wallets out and are ready to purchase your item. Targeting certain keywords and creating hubs, such as "buy xy and z online" or "x y and z reviews" will convert fantastically. Over time you will find out what works and what doesn't. Keep on it!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)