People are following me...

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (48 posts)
  1. Syrusv37 profile image76
    Syrusv37posted 13 years ago

Ok so four people so far are "following" me and I would like to know what exactly that means. Are they just keeping track if I write new hubs or is it something more? I'm not sure why they are following me either, I just logged in one day and saw them there.

1. saleheensblog profile image60
      saleheensblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol
      they will hack your bank account, rob your home and kill you.mad

Just kidding. They will be notified when you publish new hubs. If they are not spam follower it means they like your hub and want to read more from you.

1. profile image0
        shazwellynposted 13 years agoin reply to this

providing you hit the share button after you have published (I think, that is how it works??) and click 'followers' hmm

thanks for the addition wink you are very helpful smile

2. SmartAndFun profile image96
          SmartAndFunposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Bummer. I thought my followers were automatically notified of my new hubs. I have published several in the last few days. Is it too late to "share" that fact with my followers? Sorry to be asking dumb questions it seems that everyone else knows!

you can share anytime and you can share more than once as well though sharing again and again is not a good idea.

1. profile image0

It is good if you have updated your hub!

yes smile

Also, I would like to share again after getting every 100/200 additional followers.

2. Lisa HW profile image64
                Lisa HWposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I should probably be embarrassed to ask this (because unlike some others here, I'm not the least bit new), but is there one "share" button or another (or do any "share" buttons work)?    I usually hit "share" but then select - like - one of my blogs to "share" with.  Should I have been "sharing" with someone/something else too?   All this time, I've been thinking any time someone a person follows publishes something new, it shows up in the row of profile images that are there when you first get to your profile/account (wherever those latest followees show up). 

(Oh, brother.   I just went and looked, and saw the answer to this.  Never mind.  What a dummy I am! )

2. Ivorwen profile image66
            Ivorwenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Followers are automatically notified, according to their email settings.

1. profile image0
              Donna Ferrierposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's what I thought. I find that most if not all my followers get notified when I write a new hub because suddenly my visits from HP go up. I have a couple of people who make regular comments, too.

Peace,
              Donna

3. Lisa HW profile image64
            Lisa HWposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Everyone else doesn't know (or at least I don't - and I've been here for quite awhile).

Now I'm pretty much confused:

I know if people choose to be notified by e.mail they will get updates if someone they follow writes a new Hub.  I had that for a long time, but it got so I couldn't keep up with the numbers that were showing up in my e.mail; so I disabled it.

Now I get a row of "followees" who have new Hubs when I get to HubPages (my profile or account - or something associated with my name, rather than "general" HubPages).  That's what I rely on for updates of followees.

Here's my question:  If people elect to be notified by e.mail when someone they follow publishes a Hub, there will be all those people (like me) who find being notified about too many Hubs written by too many other Hubber (through e.mail) isn't practical; there's that.  So, we can assume those Hubbers don't want to be notified.

I just discovered the "share with followers" button now.  When and why would someone use that?  The followers who want to be notified are going to be notified automatically, right?  The ones who don't really want to be notified that "diligently" won't get an  e.mail (which is what they want). 

So what does that "share with followers" button do?  Send e.mails?  Make the profile picture show up in the "row"?  And, why use it if people have already opted not to receive e.mails, and e.mails are sent automatically when someone publishes a new Hub?

1. SteveoMc profile image73
              SteveoMcposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You can make your life much simpler by choosing to be notified once a day.   All your favorite hubbers will be together in one email once a day.

1. profile image0

That's the way I have my settings.

2. SteveoMc profile image73
        SteveoMcposted 13 years agoin reply to this

In poor taste, but insanely funny just the same, LOL

2. waynet profile image68
      waynetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Call the cops...that should help against this stalking matter!

I think people like you who have 1000s of follower needs the whole police department to monitor your safety. lollol

1. profile image0

I can see it now...waynet being accompanied by secret police wherever he goes...LOL

3. brakel2 profile image71
      brakel2posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am fairly new, but I found that people who commented on my hubs were the ones I followed first. Their comments were good. Then they followed me. Then I started reading more hubs, and commented and if I liked what they said, I would follow them. It had nothing to do with popularity  but appreciating others, the niches they wrote about, and genuinely wanting to have a follower relationship. The followers often read each others hubs and then you get to know more about them. If you write about a sensitive topic, they often show compassion in their comments, It is wonderful, and you meet many nice people.

1. SmartAndFun profile image96
        SmartAndFunposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree, Brakel2. That is exactly how I found and began following you several months ago. I like your hub topics and how you express yourself, so I clicked the follow button.

2. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 13 years ago
  3. Richieb799 profile image75
    Richieb799posted 13 years ago

Yes, the idea is that people follow you because they like your writing or thats what I always thought. I guess some people also add because they want to network, but I don't see the point in flicking through pages just adding people to try and get attention, it is better to accumulate real 'fans' because they are more likely to read your stuff!

1. sarovai profile image77
      sarovaiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Good advice.

4. camlo profile image78
    camloposted 13 years ago

'Followers' used to be called 'Fans', BTW. I think that was a much clearer description, and many others did too. But the powers that be ... 'Followers' sounds, somehow, creepy.

When I first joined Twitter, I thought 'followers' were stalkers, and got rid of all of mine.

1. relache profile image68
      relacheposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"Fans" was changed to followers because the same term is used if you watch a particular topic.  The example given was that it used to say things like "Camlo is a fan of brain cancer" if you chose to follow that topic.

1. camlo profile image78
        camloposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, Relache, I do understand the reasons for the change. I remember, too, the point you mention being brought up on a Forum thread concerning the change at the time it took place.

It doesn't alter the fact, though, that I prefer the term fans.

BTW, both terms (fan and follower) are still used. So it could have been made possible to be fans of other Hubbers, whilst following topics.

5. rotl profile image60
    rotlposted 13 years ago

The whole "follower" thing seems kind of like a popularity contest to me. If you are good at networking and/or you write about popular/fluff topics, you can cultivate a significant following. On the other hand, if you don't network or write about obscure/specialized/technical topics, no matter how good your writing, you won't develop the same following. Doesn't seem like a good measure of anything to me.

1. profile image0
      Website Examinerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This has an element of truth in it. However, much depends upon your ability to interact and communicate; in your writings and otherwise.

1. rotl profile image60
        rotlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, my whole thing is, do you want good writers who write about a variety of topics and focus on the quality of their work, or do you want people who write average quality hubs on limited but "popular" topics and focus on networking. I would think HubPages would prefer the former, but I think I am wrong.

1. profile image0

I am not talking in general, but based upon my personal experience and hard work. My followers seem to appreciate my writings, philosophy, values, and contributions to this site. Maybe you wouldn't understand...

1. rotl profile image60

Okay, well I was making a general point about HubPages, not about your particular situation. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to understand.

1. profile image0

You seem to suggest that having many followers is synonymous with a form of populism. While this may be true in some cases ("spammy followers" and the like), you may eventually come to appreciate that some of the best writers and most interesting Hubbers actually happen to have the greatest amount of followers. This regardless of whether they write creatively or on narrow topics.

Take most of the prolific Hubbers, who are also amongst the best writers on the site. Everyone will tell you that having followers doesn't matter. But then see how many followers they have. See how many comments and how much feedback they receive. I don't believe any of that to be a coincidence; it is the product of talent and hard work.

1. rotl profile image60

I never said that everyone here is aiming for popularity or that popularity is necessarily bad. My point, if there is one, is that HubPages should emphasize quality of writing above all else, and I don't think that is always the case.

Yes, there are a lot of great writers here who are popular because of their writing, no matter the topic. However, there are also plenty of people chasing the popularity angle and many new hubbers are advised to do so.

So I think we agree!  smile

1. profile image0

OK, how can I resist a smiley?

1. rotl profile image60

LOL... no one can.

2. saleheensblog profile image60

I am a new hubber [i still think] and I was never said to chase for followers.

Quality is a very relative word. How can HP emphasis on quality more? What will be the standard?

~There are people who don't have a good writing style but provides with very good information.
                  ~There are people who has less command in English but knows a lot and write good hubs in bad English. [My English is bad and I am not a good writer but I have seen few Asian writer who writes informative hub in bad English]
                  ~There are people who write only thought provoking contents like stories and poems.

Now are they bad writers?

can't agree.

100% true.
                None can get 1000 spam followers. There are no good writer in HP who haven't got at least 100 followers and there is no bad writer who has got 1000 of followers as far I have seen.

6. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago

They love you if they follow you and will give their life to you plus their earnings.

Just kidding,

Most of them just want to follow you because they like what you write. That should be the main reason.

7. Lazur profile image71
    Lazurposted 13 years ago

I'm just stalking tongue

follow me I will follow you lol lol lol Just kidding.

1. lindajot profile image67
        lindajotposted 13 years agoin reply to this

SInce you said that saleheensblog, I was wondering if some people here follow others so they might get a follow back.  Just curious.

1. profile image0

No doubt, that is very common. Some will even follow you, then unfollow you if you don't follow them back within a week or so.

how stupid!!

1. profile image0

There is even a term for it: "House cleaning." I had the same person do that to me three times, once.

lol lol this is ridiculous

2. profile image0

typical twitter trick, that!  I have noticed this a lot on HP lately!

if someone follow me I don't just follow back blindly. I go and check the follower's hub. If the hubber is worth following I follow back.

1. lindajot profile image67
            lindajotposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I was wondering if that was why I lost a follower - I'm  new, so it is easy to see.  I'm like your saleheensblog, I certainly do check out their profile and work, and love to add those I have an interest in, but won't add someone if I have no intention of reading their work.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)