jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (11 posts)

What if there was no such thing as free will?

1. Stevennix2001 profile image91
    Stevennix2001posted 7 years ago

For those of you who know me, you'll know I just finished writing my compilation of movies set to be released next year.  One of them that I really want to see is "The Adjustment Bureau."  For those that never heard of it, the story essentially goes something like this...a man falls in love with a girl that he was never supposed to fall for.  According to this film's story, the entire world is controled and planned out by the adjustment bureau. They make sure that EVERYTHING goes according to plan.  Meaning nobody in the world has free will at all, as everything you've ever done in your life is planned and carried out for you without your knowledge of it.  My question to you is this.  What if this was you?  If you fell in love with a person, but then some secret bureau that claims to have control over the entire world's fate tells you that it's not part of your planned destiny to be with this person.  They even go as far as to say that if you truly love this person, then you'll never see them again; otherwise neither of you will ever get what you want.  Would you a) walk away and do exactly what this bureau tells you, OR would you b) fight back and decide that no one will tell you how to live your life...even if they control the world secretly.  Anyways, I hope you guys have fun discussing this.

2. profile image0
    sandra rinckposted 7 years ago

Then we would still probably be doing the same thing, it would just cost more! bhahahhhahahaha. big_smile

Stevennix2001posted 7 years agoin reply to this

lollol that's a good one sandra. wink  lol

3. Cagsil profile image60
    Cagsilposted 7 years ago

In the scenario you've chosen- Love would not exist without free will. Free will is part of the consciousness collective.

If there was no free will, then no one would be able to discern real from illusion.

4. Stevennix2001 profile image91
    Stevennix2001posted 7 years ago

Okay...you didn't really answer my question, but oh well.

Anyways, who else has anything to add?

1. Cagsil profile image60
      Cagsilposted 7 years agoin reply to this

How did I not answer your question.

The title- What if there was no such thing as free will? Answered

Wow, I thought you said you shouldn't have to answer me, in one of your previous forums, but you want me to answer YOU in one of my forums?  Talk about double standards there.  Look, it's fairly obvious you didn't understand what I was asking, and that's okay.  It really doesn't matter to me, as you should know by now that these random forums I do are for fun, and nothing more.  However, I do appreciate you taking the time to answer it anyway.  big_smile

1. Cagsil profile image60
          Cagsilposted 7 years agoin reply to this

When you make statements, like you didn't answer my question , when clearly I did answer your question.
          I answered your generalize question, which lacked any knowledge of a conscious mind. DUH!
          Next time, ask a question you can wrap your mind around instead of asking a question, which you clearly cannot grasp to begin with.

Okay, well first of all the question wasn't exactly could love still exist without free will, nor was I asking anything related to consciousness, as I thought I made myself perfectly clear what the question was.  However, I guess according to you that I didn't.  I can't say I'm surprised, but I apologize for not making it clearer for you.  Here, let me repaste the exact question I did ask, so you can read it again:

What if this was YOU?  If YOU fell in love with a person, but then some secret bureau that claims to have control over the entire world's fate tells you that it's not part of your planned destiny to be with this person.  They even go as far as to say that if you truly love this person, then you'll never see them again; otherwise neither of you will ever get what you want.  Would you a) walk away and do exactly what this bureau tells you, OR would you b) fight back and decide that no one will tell you how to live your life...even if they control the world secretly.  Anyways, I hope you guys have fun discussing this.

This was the question I asked originally.  Basically translating into simple terms as what if you fell in love with someone, and some agency claimed that your not supposed to be with them.  Would you a) do exactly what they say?  Or would you refuse?  That's basically what I was asking.  Hence, you didn't answer the original question, but that's okay.  I obviously didn't make it clearer, and I apologize.

As far as you saying that I lack any clear understanding of what a concious mind is and saying that I don't comprehend my own question, then all I can say is wow!  Your ability to read minds again Cagsil really astounds me, you know that.  In fact, it's no wonder why your so popular here, as you sure do know exactly what people can or can't understand, huh? BRILLIANT! 

Leave it to Cagsil to turn what was supposed to a forum I was hoping we could all have fun talking about into a forum full of insults and insinuations.  Wow, bravo Cagsil!

1. fits3x100 profile image57
              fits3x100posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Wow ! Great Question! I for one, have come to believe there is no Love without choice. It's not about the warm and fuzzy feelings(for me), it's about making the choices that you wouldn't make if you didn't Love. So. I hope I'd have the stones to fight!

Well said buddy.  well said. smile

working