Is there a such thing as too many pairs of shoes???

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 80 discussions (157 posts)
  1. H.C Porter profile image80
    H.C Porterposted 14 years ago

My husband complains about my obsession with shoes- he says that there is no rational reason that I should have; at last count 162 pairs; of fabulous-expressive-conversation starter- shoes...I have boots of different styles/shades and heights-I have heals with straps some without- I have sneakers for running- I have flats for outside play and for when my back is aching- I have slippers for comfort some for style...I love shoes... My foot hasn’t grown in the past 15 years-and I take care of what I have-so in my collection I still have my pink and black All Star Converse's-as well as my classic black Doc Martins-
    I have some that sure I could probably get rid of because the heal is worn-but I hold on-because one day-I figure it can be replaced...Through pregnancies and jobs and celebrations my collection has grown---Should I cut back...Or is my collection worth holding onto.
    How many shoes do most women have in their collection? Is this a girl thing or do boys appreciate selection and choices? How do you feel about shoes and how many is too many?

1. ediggity profile image60
      ediggityposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well as long as they are, "fabulous-expressive-conversation starter- shoes" 162 is reasonable LOL.  Give some of them to Good Will.  Maybe someone else can enjoy them as much as you have.

PS. you are never going to wear the DOCs again.

H.C Porterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I know-I know-the docs should probably go...But which pair-the knee highs-mary janes- electric blue-purple velvet or traditional ones??? Those damn shoes last forever  big_smile

2. Bibowen profile image88
      Bibowenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Imelda Marcos would probably label you an "underachiever."

Probably so---Guess I should go shopping... big_smile

3. profile image0
      Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have 4 pairs of shoes. Sneakers, sandals, winter boots and "goign out" shoes. I would have 300 million if I could...I see shoes all the time I want..I dont think anyone but you can say how many you should have...
      There may not be a "rational" reason to have all those shoes, but I sure do understand why you have them!!
      while I can see continuing this might get expensive, you already HAVE them, what would be the point of getting rid of them?

4. Chris_S profile image60
      Chris_Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well speaking as a guy who wears womens clothing and shoes exclusively, I don't believe you can have enough shoes. It's no wonder so many women enjoy their shoes! Look at what you have to choose from, it's awesome! I enjoy shoes too and I shop for them frequently. Guys shoes are booooring!

5. confusedgee profile image59
      confusedgeeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

As long as there is 360 something days in a year how can 162 be too much. You can wear something different every day. I wish I had so many pairs of shoes. Unforunately I don't. who can complain about such a thing. He is really unethical....as long as you can afford it, splurge, you only live one time.

6. caderade2 profile image58
      caderade2posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes there is such a thing as having too many shoes.

7. heels2bags profile image61
      heels2bagsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No there is no such thing as too many shoes - I am exactly the same. I am 27 years old and currently own 187 pairs of shoes of different styles of shoes. When i go shopping i don't buy lots of other things unless i really need them but i can not come home without at least one pair of shoes - normally its more like 3.
      Shoes make me feel good when i am sad and depending on what shoes i wear changes how i feel. For example a smart black pair of stilletto court shoes make me feel confident and professional.

I set up my own business selling shoes about 2 years ago because i love them so much and because i get to be around so many fabulous shoes everyday my urge to purchase so many has reduced. I do treat myself when i stock something i simply can't resist.

8. profile image49
      Karringtonsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

To me there is never a such thing as to many pairs of shoe. Im 15 years old in i own about atleat 50 pairs.

9. chloclucks profile image61
      chloclucksposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I LOVE shoes. they complete your outfit smile, read my hub on them xx

10. ashleylauren05 profile image60
      ashleylauren05posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Don't EVER get rid of the Doc's! They are timeless (trust me you can always rock them) And there is no way that you can ever have too many shoes. Thats like telling a guy they have too many sports jersey's!

11. profile image0
      CollBposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You could say, 'what if that skirt or dress doesn't go with that pair?'  I think you should keep your shoes..and def the Doc Martins!!  Timeless and if you have the room for them, yes a definite yes.

12. smcopywrite profile image60
      smcopywriteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

there is no such thing as too many pairs of shoes. many women buy shoes and buy their outfits around shoes. if you can afford them and you can wear them and they are your only vice, keep buying your shoes. however, rotate them. give some of them to the less fortunate and donate. this is a win/win situation, you are helping the less fortunate as well as making room for more.

13. funkyfan profile image58
      funkyfanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think ladies never think it is enough to get the beautiful shoes in the life! The fashion beauty shoes are so important for ladies, so I think your husband don't know the imporatance of shoes.

14. circavconsignment profile image60
      circavconsignmentposted 12 years agoin reply to this

My husband has more shoes than I do! His closet at our last home was the larger closet. I own a consignment store and still have less shoes than he does. I do love shoes, but he beats me any day!!

15. thighhighchick profile image60
      thighhighchickposted 12 years agoin reply to this

According to a male friend of mine when the number of individual shoes is greater than the number of individual dollar bills in saving YES

2. dejajolie profile image60
    dejajolieposted 14 years ago

While I certainly don't own 167, as I tend to change styles through the years I do own about 80 pairs of shoes (no sneakers 1 pair of flats) just sandals, boots, and heels. I also have a bag obsession (30) and jewelry....my Ex built two custom shoe racks in addition to my walk-in just to house me, my shoes and four jewelry boxes. He would have loved if I only had one obsession oppose to three. As far as it being a woman thing, not sure my dad use to have a collection of shoes when I was younger.... and another Ex of mine was like that with watches he had about 20.....every one has their "thing" I just have three.....lol

3. maudine_05 profile image61
    maudine_05posted 14 years ago

For some reason there are no limits to a "girl things" and one of such will be shoes..since I am also guilty of having the same.Though,in contrary,if you have three, mine is only two-aside from shoes but,I don't have as much as you do, I only have 84pairs of shoes, I also have the enthrall to collect bags-of different sizes even if I don't use all of them,still I can't help but to possess them.So, as long as you have the means- I guess, you go for it! after all we only live once..enjoy and collect and collect!!!!

1. profile image49
      letsg00posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think that inside the shoes you will be more like.http:// www.heelsmart.com

4. Anath profile image60
    Anathposted 14 years ago

I have never bothered counting mine.  I don't collect them but I have noticed that my "collection" grows everytime I fall out of love and stops growing whenever I fall in love again smile

Anyway, if you can keep them and that makes you happy, why would you want to get rid of them?

5. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

HC, I think I have you beat! But then I've had more years to shop, judging by your pic. Trust me - you can never have too many shoes!

6. profile image0
    Maximus591posted 14 years ago

Men don't collect shoes.

Men only collect practical things : Watches, tools, computers, books, younger girlfriends.

Female collect impractical things : Shoes, handbags, jewellry, perfume, old men.

The stuff men collect they use, it has a purpose. The stuff females collect are pointless. They are simply adornments to make them feel more feminine. Two pairs of shoes is all any girl needs, the rest are just indulgences.

1. Anath profile image60
      Anathposted 14 years agoin reply to this

CORRECTION  Maximus... Not all women collect old men, I agree with you -old men are impractical- that is why I prefer to collect young ones tongue

1. Ivorwen profile image66
        Ivorwenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Tell me, which two?  The combat boots and the mules or the snow boots and the sandals?  What about the cowboy boots and the trekking boots or the flats?

1. profile image0
          Crazdwriterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

ooooo I'll take the combat boots please! smile

2. H.C Porter profile image80

Well- to the response that men only collect things that are practical, like younger girl friends- Id be careful with that collection or you may end up collecting a variety of STD's to go along with those girls your after.
        My view on the shoes is this-
        Picture a beautiful woman...In a short form fitting red cocktail dress. Her hair is swept back-makeup done to emphasise her stunning baby blue eyes. You start at her face-and slowly look over her...Everything is perfect....Until the shoes. A pair of dirty airwalks...If you are a man-dont tell me you would not wonder what in the heck was she thinking...But replace the airwalks with an open toe/4 inch heal/ and simple black strap shoe that shows her newly pedicured toes...You now have SEXY-PUT TOGETHER-ELEGENT...
        The shoes make it all work-without the shoes to go with the look you tend to look lost and sloppy.
        When you go in for a job interview-you wouldnt wear a black suit/ black shoes and a brown belt... Same basic principle... Women have shoes-because we have a variety of looks.
        But hey-I could be wrong- Ill keep the shoes...You can keep those more realistic collectables like younger girls and STDS

1. profile image0
          Maximus591posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Shoes don't maketh the woman.

Your perception of shoes borders on the fetish. I'm sure you must lick them on a daily basis, hopefully not the soles since I don't know where you've been walking.

To emphasise shoes as the coup de grace to a females overall presentation is rather silly. Obviously you like shoes. Love them even. You may occassionally indulge in an erotic interplay with them. But they are still shoes. Vessels for stinky feet.

Owning 160 pairs is just not right. It's obsessive. How do you deal with your confusion as you stand forlornly in front of your vast shoe rack agonising over which pair to wear? Which pair completes 'the look'. Which pair says 'I'm conservative' and which pair screams 'I'm a slut'? Can't be easy for you, eh? But you have my sympathies.  smile

1. profile image0

Your grammar is wrong, and this is quite funny, but kind of contradictory.
            hows it going max? You still hate me? You never responded, do I need to unfan you?
            I am sorry I have 4 wastefull pairs of shoes, I know my sandals and "goign out" shoes are not needed. What can I say...I am a coward and hide behind my shoes.

2. profile image0

who needs your sympathies?
            I know exactly wich pair of my shoes scream "im a slut" and most men love them.

3. H.C Porter profile image80

it amuses me that you insult something like a collection of shoes (which by the way has been in the making for about 15 years-so average is about 10-11 shoes per year-taking into consideration the availability of styles due to season and trend changes-and lifestyle changes/maturing from adolescence to early adulthood into pregnancy and motherhood-participating in graduations/ weddings/ special events that call for a new pair-and that I was given 30 pairs of vintage boots/and dress shoes from the 1930's to 1970's Id say that, although I do love shoes-I am not overly obsessive) when you so openly speak of collecting such things as watches, which is hypocritical (watches? You really need a variety of choices-they all say the same thing-TIME).
            I do believe that overall appearance which includes clothing attire-accessories-hair as well as attitude/ are what first impressions are made of.
            For example sir- your picture tells me that you are well kept and clean shaven-you probably get your hair cut every other week (which some could say is a little much-that’s what, on average 26 hair cuts a year?)You take pride in the way that you look-and are someone who is a "GO GETTER"-but your attitude and crudeness suggest that you are all about you-you attract women- but once you begin to speak your male ego driven/self indulgent views-most women find that they are disgusted with what is actually there. You date a lot- but because your mouth speaks before a rational justified thought is formed- they go as soon as they (or you) cum... Do you have a lot of mirrors in your home? So you can gawk at your greatness (lack there of)? You neglected to respond to my comment on all those young girls and a collection of STD's so I am lead to believe I may not be too far from the truth... If you love to insult people and don’t have a tolerance for others and their likings-what is the point of participating in a forum such as this one?
            And here is a bit of a tip---if you are going to insult someone in writing---make sure you spell the words that you write correctly. You spelled occasionally incorrectly as well as agonizing and emphasize… 

1. profile image0

hey, theres nothing wrong with your shoes and Im 99 percent sure he messing with us all. Just ...shhhhh maxy....
              lucky you, you get to have a collection. Not all men would "allow" it.  smile

I’m sure he is-- just in the mood for a little bit of written confrontation  smile

1. Lily Rose profile image86
                  Lily Roseposted 14 years agoin reply to this
            2. profile image0

Did i say i collected watches? Did i say I have a penchant for them?  Read again my dear. But even if I did collect watches, it would certainly be a more noble pursuit than collecting shoes. Watches are very useful, then have this uncanny ability of telling the time. Imagine that eh? Then can look very elegant on a mans wrist and equally feminine on a ladies. Timepieces stand the test of... errr, time... more than most collectibles on the market today. Whats more, they tend to remain odour free through prolonged use, unlike shoes. Oh, and you can sell them and recoup some of your investment as the second hand market is suitably buoyant. Unlike the second hand market for shoes. Bunyon encrusted stillettos anyone? Oh, and watches never fade from fashion... unlike, yes you guessed, shoes!

Gosh! How perceptive -  I do frequently admire my irresistibly handsome good looks in front of my many mirrors. My mirrors just coo in silent admiration. Some even blow me kisses. I blow kisses back... jee, what can i say, I'm in love with my mirrors.

Nice attempt at psychoanalysis, but woefully inaccurate I'm afraid. This is actually an area where I'm quite expert, if i were to really lay bare your personality in a public forum, I would have you reduced to a gibbering school girl crying for mummy, in no time at all. But there is no need... I have too much class for that.

Actually, if you had taken a moment (assuming you can spare a precious moment away from your beloved shoe shops) and bothered to check where I'm from (lazy people are just so tedious) you would discover that I spelled both agonising and emphasised quite correctly.

On the misspelling assumptions I stand corrected, I did not take the time or effort to check up on your where about-and compare the differences between the spellings of words that may vary from place to place.
                Being that your statement about my efforts were written with such distaste-I am sure you viewed my profile and am positive you are attempting to be witty as you state assumptions as to what my personality traits are.
                As far as you giving yourself the power to make me cry for mummy-not likely to happen, in all due respect Sir-you are in short, Just a wise ass-throwing insults in a public forum... In reality your words are no more reason to cry for mummy-than the ingredients on a cereal box. I apologize if this comes as a shock to you.
                School girl I will take as a compliment.
                Gibbering...no, not anymore. I quit stuttering and gibberish many years back, and can now articulate just fine.
                Lazy...well that has never been a word that I have heard used to describe me-but I will certainly take it into consideration-the next time I have the opportunity to sleep more than 3 or 4 hours in night.
                I did however enjoy conversing with you- your sarcasm is appealing, even if it is the only appealing characteristic I have noticed.

3. dejajolie profile image60
        dejajolieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And what's the point of NEEDING more than two watches? What's "practical" about that? I think you just have a knack to say opposite of what others say 'just because', maybe you think you will make it interesting....trust me this will still be interesting without your input...let's try it....this is the part where you don't comment.....

4. Lily Rose profile image86
        Lily Roseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Judging from this comment and other comments I've seen from you in the forums, you're not here to make friends, are you?  Does it make you feel good to insult people?  I don't understand why you'd even want to enter this thread to comment!

5. Tori Maltby profile image60
        Tori Maltbyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The things that women collect are far more practical and have loads more longevity than the useless junk that men collect. Watches break, tools lie in the garage and never get used, computers are out of date just as soon as you turn them on and younger girlfriends will just be using you to buy them shoes!

2. rebekahELLE profile image84
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

hmmm, haven't counted my shoes!

shoes are great, but yeah, I think you can have too many.

3. habee profile image92
      habeeposted 14 years ago

Max, do you KNOW many American males??? They're always collecting stuff they'll never use! They may intend to someday use them when they buy the stuff, but most of the time, the stuff just gathers dust. We have garage sales just to get rid of all the stuff my husband has collected, and all his pals are the same way.

And what is it with men and toys? Hubby and his friends have all kinds of video games, model cars, model ships, remote control airplanes and boats. Maybe our shoes take the place of toys??

1. profile image0

Whether they use the stuff they collect is not the point. The fact that it's useable means their purchase has been a sensible one.

160 pairs of shoes and 30 handbags does not represent a sensible purchase.

Perhaps she's one of those females who likes to lick her shoes and sleep with her handbags. Perhaps her shoes/handbags are a 'man replacement devices' in her life.

he he he

1. Anath profile image60

That is what I mean when I say that my shoe collection grows when I fall out of love.  I didn't want to accept that, but it is true.  When I am not in love I become and uncontrolable shopper but being in love cures me... ahhhh  Isn't love great?

1. profile image0

Interesting.

Is there a correlation between shoe volume and man absence?

Females who are not in possession of a man, do they possess more shoes than females who have a man in their lives?

1. Anath profile image60

At least in my case I am prepared to admit that you will find that correlation sad But I would say that more than just having a partner, it is about the level of satisfaction with that person.

2. profile image0

Totally so not true for me Max. I don't collect shoes whether I have a man in my life or not. smile Like I said Tomboy here and don't collect things like shoes, make up and other things other women do big_smile

Like other women do? What other women? Not tomboys? What is your definition of a tomboy? u seem to want to put women into categories based on something as innocent and simple as an enjoyment over shoes-that's not exactly fair???
                Other than shoes I collect-cameras-old handguns-lighters along with a journals-books on random quotes and facts, hats, hand bags... I don’t collect make-up, though--that can get kind of nasty-hanging onto makeup (it has an expiration)
                Why would women not having a man effect the amount of shoes bought-or any item she may enjoy shopping for?

1. Anath profile image60

Answering your last question, it is because when I am 100% satisfied with my life shopping is the last thing I can think about.  Nothing deeper than that, nothing extraordinary... it is just a matter of time management.  When I am alone, I have more time to look around the shops or internet, but when I am over the moon in a relationship I prefer to spend my time in other things wink

3. sannyasinman profile image61
              sannyasinmanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

. .or perhaps it's females who are in possession of a man with lots of money who possess the most pairs of shoes smile

I say a woman does not need a man to have healthy growth within a collection- if she is a woman that has become financially stable on her own-his financial status does not effect the motivation behind buying something new or having many of something such as shoes. With or without a man-it is about the woman and what she enjoys. I buy shoes because I like to- I like to find something unique-I like to find a good deal- I like putting them on and looking exactly the way I want o look at that moment... A man has nothing to do with it--

1. sannyasinman profile image61
                  sannyasinmanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It is a pity that there isn't a little smiley which says "tongue in cheek". If there was, I would have used it on my previous comment.   sad

4. Tori Maltby profile image60
              Tori Maltbyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Because shoes are far more reliable than men and make you so much happier.

4. profile image0
      Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

I don't have a problem collecting shoes...my issues i buying too many books. MWHAHAHAHA! Yea I'm a tomboy...not interestin clothes or shoes or makeup...just books books books! Bookworm tomboy I am! lol

1. dejajolie profile image60

Oh books....wow yeah that too...lol

1. profile image0

lol I think a lot of ppl have that problem lmao

Good problem to have

1. profile image0

so true except like what I always say...too many good books to read and not enough time to read them all lol

1. profile image0
                Leta Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have the book 'problem' (100's), AND the shoe 'problem.'  Though I probably only own about 25 pairs of shoes.

I buy shoes and books for the same reason.  Because it is fun!  I read Rilke and Shakespeare wearing 4" stilettos, lol.

Luv it, Great visual!

2. H.C Porter profile image80

4" stilettos and Shakespeare?----can we say heaven...?  smile

lol, Yes!

5. earnestshub profile image80
      earnestshubposted 14 years ago

Apparently not. I just had a look at my daughters shoe collection.
      It covers one third of the wall!!! lol

6. Princessa profile image81
      Princessaposted 14 years ago

No, would be my answer.  There is never too many.  Unfortunately I don't have a very big collection; I have moved countries and even continents too often too carry around all my shoes with me.  Still each move is a new opportunity to start buying new shoes wink

7. blbhhdcn profile image60
      blbhhdcnposted 14 years ago

oh my! we have the same talent. I love to shop and I love to shop and collect shoes, high heels, wedges and sexy sandals. I have like 6 tier shoe rack and im going to buy more shoes lol

My husband understand my being shapaholic though. Good thing.

aside from shoes I collect dresses, sexy tops, skirts, belts, makeups, sunglasses, purses and more...

8. jimmythejock profile image83
      jimmythejockposted 14 years ago

Yes yes and yes there can be such a thing  especially when you work in a shoe warehouse like myself and get sick and tired of the sight of them day in day out lol.....jimmy

1. Anath profile image60

Please don't say that... you bring Al Bundy to my mind LOL

9. Ivorwen profile image66
      Ivorwenposted 14 years ago

Yes, it is possible to own too many pairs of shoes. 

Personally, I hate shoes and go barefoot whenever possible.  However, I still manage to own ten pairs of shoes and boots plus a pair of ice skates and all are used on a regular basis.

As to men collecting shoes, my husband certainly does.  He owns many more pairs than I do and keeps all of his old ones until they are completely trashed.

10. Ivorwen profile image66
      Ivorwenposted 14 years ago

Crazdwriter, I have to agree with you.

When I didn't have a guy in my life I owned two pairs of practical working boots (cowboy and combat), and made my wardrobe work around them.  Of course, I lived in an area without much snow back then and both could cross over for dress shoes at any time.

1. profile image0

Can never go wrong with boots. They go with everything lol

11. profile image0
      Kathryn LJposted 14 years ago

When I was a student, I was so hard up that I only had one pair of shoes or more accurately a pair of walking boots.  I wore them with everything including girlie dresses.  Oddly enough, no one ever commented on this, except my father who insisted on dragging me to a shoe shop where to his disgust, I purchased a pair of doc martins.  I spend most of my time in wellingtons now, although I do have a very nice pair of motor bike boots with steel heels.

12. profile image0

Okay H.C. you read into my comment way too much. I was telling Max that his comment isn't always true about women and that he shouldn't judge us... and as my putting women in catagories that isn't true. I say that I am a tomboy because I know I am.

And Anath and Max are the ones bringing up the topic about the man in life thing not me so please don't go jumping down my throat for my comment.

Please don’t take my comment to your posting in the forum too seriously-I was merely trying to get you to write more...Tomboy-Girly Girl?...all the same to me. Everyone has those little quarks and personality traits that make them unique. If you asked me 10 years ago- I would have said I was a "Tomboy" but not so much anymore-but wouldn’t say I was a girly girl either...I have my moments/I have my moods and I have the outfits...But like most women I have many sides to my chaotic/some times psychotic personality. I am not here to judge and/or attack in anyway. I am just here to express myself/and see how others express themselves and react to differences in views- (keep in mind/this is coming from a girl that would get so nervous in front of people she’d either pass out or stutter so badly-she was barely able to get a sentence out-seeing how people react is how I developed my writing skills as well as being able to call and order a pizza). Didn’t mean to offend you in anyway/ nor was I downing your views on women--was honestly just trying to get you to write a little more and express yourself a little more thoroughly... I apologize smile

13. aware profile image67
      awareposted 14 years ago

remember Emelda Marcos

1. blbhhdcn profile image60
        blbhhdcnposted 14 years agoin reply to this

oh you know Imelda Marcos? dang she sure have tons and tons of shoes! is'nt she?

14. europewalker profile image80
      europewalkerposted 14 years ago

You can never have too many pairs of shoes. There are so many to choose from. High heels are my favorites.

15. profile image0
      sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

Whats a fair number? I think my wife has stock in Clarks, Born and Dansko. She likes clunky heels shes afraid she kill herself in Ho shoes.

16. Lily Rose profile image86
      Lily Roseposted 14 years ago

I own somewhere close to 120 pair, although I must admit I only wear maybe 5 pair 99% of the time.  Many no longer fit since my feet grew 1/2 a size when last pregnant, but I'm so attached to them that I refuse to believe my feet won't go back to their pre-pregnancy size!

I have no idea how many purses I own, but it is definitely a large number.

I don't like to wear much jewelry; my shoes and purses are my jewelry!

17. Cagsil profile image71
      Cagsilposted 14 years ago

The only time the number of pairs of shoes it be brought up or discussed is when you no longer have any room to store them.

Until you reach that point....I'd say you don't have a problem and it's just someone else's imagination of what is considered to be too many.

lol  lol  lol

That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

Agreed--but have a question. Is it still okay if you are currently doing an $80,000 addition to your home-and insist that it include a walk in closet big enough to store all the shoes you currently have+ plus the ones you know you are going to obtain in the future. Ran out of room a while back with the current floor plan big_smile

18. profile image0

Well it's official people we have to start going to SA and BA...Shoes Annonymous and Books Annonymous.

I say Saturdays around 5ish? Say at the mall? lol

19. Nell Rose profile image90
      Nell Roseposted 14 years ago

Boots boots boots! I have about three pairs of shoes and thirty pairs of boots, everytime i go into a shoe shop, instead of buying shoes I buy BOOTS!! I think I am addicted! Big ones small ones, no heels, huge heels, loads of buckles, knee length. ankle, mid calf, and so on and so forth....

1. starme77 profile image77
        starme77posted 14 years ago

I have a pair of tennis shoes and a pair of work boots  - not too many - but - all I need

1. profile image49
          Leo845posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I like to ask you that have you use dingo boots or minnetonka moccasins ?i want to use them but before purchase i like to know about that...

2. GoldiString profile image60
        GoldiStringposted 14 years ago

Shoes? ---- yep, Imelda got plenty of it - mega truckload.

3. maryjaneboy profile image57
        maryjaneboyposted 14 years ago

No, as a straight guy who has (and wears) over 350 pairs of Mary Jane's, ballet flats & saddle shoes I can assure you there is no such thing as too many pairs of shoes!

Mary Jane Boy

M.J.B---you are on Hub Pages---but have no Hubs-nor any fans... Are you here to observe? Just wondering what and when I can read something from a Straight/Shoe Loving/Ballet Dancer? (Assuming you are a Ballet Dancer, being you have 350 pairs of ballet flats and saddle shoes-and you called them ballet flats/not ballet slippers or shoes...)

4. prettydarkhorse profile image62
        prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

hmmm, I love shoes and there is no such thing as too many pair of shoes..

5. profile image0
        bloodnlatexposted 14 years ago

I've got 3 pairs.  My wife has a shoe store.  They don't get in my way, and they're not taking food out of my mouth so I don't have a problem with it.

1. profile image0

good man....  smile

1. profile image0
            bloodnlatexposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I only have a problem when she asks me to change out the summer ones with the winter ones.  Other than that I could careless.

1. profile image0

?? you change out the clothes?

1. profile image0

I'm up near Milwaukee.  It gets cold up here.

1. profile image0

I mean its goddamn COLD here. I changed out the clothes last month.
                  but YOU do it?

1. profile image0

Well she keeps her shoes in large storage boxes that are kept in the basement.  So twice a year I switch them out for here.  It's really not a big deal and in reality it takes me all of 5 minutes.

1. profile image0

I hope she says thank you. our winter clothes are in about 15 boxes in a teeny crawl space in my bedroom and it takes me about 6 hours...

1. profile image0

I wear shorts and t-shirts all year long.  So I really don't have to change a whole lot out.  She does everything else.  She is great at that.

6. Lisa HW profile image61
        Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

I'm not particularly enjoy buying shoes, but women need to buy shoes to go with certain types of outfits and/or purses, depending on the season (which usually means having more shoes than men have).  If you have a need for very casual, casual, work, and dressy for Winter and Summer that can mean three different heel heights in black, brown, something similar for boots, and then sandals and at least one pair of "very dressies" for Winter and Summer.  Then there's athletic shoes for women who wear them.  So, even the woman who doesn't have "a thing" for shoes needs more shoes than men, just because of the variety in clothing (dresses, skirts, long pants, short pants). 

Owning them "in case you need them" and wearing them are two different things for me, though.  Since I don't go to an office from 9 to 5 each day, I like to have a good mostly-all-purpose pair of shoes and bag to match to rely on day-to-day.  Generally, I don't want to be thinking about which shoes I'll be wearing, or switching bags, unless I have to (and I'm not even a "Tom Boy"   smile  ).

7. Stimp profile image61
        Stimpposted 14 years ago

Absolutely not!!!

8. kirstenblog profile image79
        kirstenblogposted 14 years ago

I don't even need to read this one to know the answer!

NO! No way can you have too many pairs of shoes! Not possible!

9. profile image0

I still say that we should all go to SA (shoe annonymous) and BA (book annonymous) Saturdays around 5pm at the mall big_smile

sounds like a plan

10. Mocha Momma profile image60
        Mocha Mommaposted 14 years ago

H.C,

As long as you aren't ruining your family's finances/budget, going into dept, or taking over all of the living space with your shoe collection, there shouldn't be a problem. 

You're a collector, but unlike regular collectors, your collectibles can be put to use ;-). 

And if your heel is just worn down, you can get a shoe cobbler to replace the heel tip and it will wear good as new.  There are shoe doctors/shoe repair/and cobblers to handle all of your footwear needs.

If you still wear the shoes, I say keep on holding onto them, because you are getting the use out of them. Especially if they are good quality shoes.

11. KKarrington profile image61
        KKarringtonposted 14 years ago

NO. If you can truly afford it, why not???

12. Tori Maltby profile image60
        Tori Maltbyposted 14 years ago

I love that there are so many ladies out there dedicated to defending their ever growing shoe collections! Never let anyone tell you that you don't need that one more pair of shoes!

There are reasons for our little shoe obsessions - see my hub for some answers!

13. TimTurner profile image70
        TimTurnerposted 14 years ago

I didn't read all the posts to this topic but in my Physiological Psychology class, we learned that the part of the brain that controls your sexual organs and your feet overlap.

Scientist think that people who buy a lot of shoes, release sexual frustration.

And it also explains why people with foot fetishes "get off" on feet.

So, a big shoe collection might mean you are sexually frustrated smile

I have some male friends with big Nike and Addidas collections.  They call it "collecting" but I know the real reason  haha

14. Southern Belle profile image61
        Southern Belleposted 14 years ago

Nope shoes=good, shoes are a lot less expensive than therapy LOL

15. profile image49
        nicoleenposted 14 years ago

i admire you SO much actually , i wish i had 167 pairs of shoes ..
        you can never have enough in my opinion ! haha ,
        i in general have an OBSESSION with shopping ,
        idk why but i have this thing where no matter what i always feel like i have nothing to wear to school and that i always need new clothes hehe :$
        my friends are always like ,
        wow .. thats only like the second time youve worn that in a MONTH or something like , I WANT YOUR WARDROBE !
        its good and bad cause they always ask to borrow my stuff ..

but you go girl !
        shopshopshop
        and dont worry about the price range either
        i have four pairs of tna pants
        which are only black yoga pants , priced at around 100 dollars per pair .. and three pairs of uggs
        two of them are 220 dollars each ..
        aha , i love that my daddy buys it all for me big_smile

16. cathy50 profile image60
        cathy50posted 14 years ago

I too have an obsession with shoes;however, it is bedroom shoes.  I can never be satisfied with just one pair.  Outside of home I get by with just sneakers but once inside I race for my house slippers.  I think I have a pair in every room in the house.  I like to window shop the latest fashion but always prefer comfort to fashion.

17. profile image54
        SupernaturalSeaposted 14 years ago

A woman can never have too many clothes or shoes!

18. The_Spencer88 profile image60
        The_Spencer88posted 14 years ago

I can safely say that I have at least 410 pairs. I know it's said but I plan of donating them this christmas. ^_^

19. sela_blackwell profile image59
        sela_blackwellposted 14 years ago

I myself own 12 pair of shoes, I am not big on footwear, unless they are for work.  My boyfriend on the other hand has well over 50 pair of shoes, There isn't a corner in our apartment that doesn't have a pair of his shoes in it.

20. yenajeon profile image71
        yenajeonposted 14 years ago

As a fellow shoe addict, there is definitely no such thing as too many shoes! As long as you're able to live you're life, its fine to have something you just love. I'm sure if you ask him to give up something he's obsessed with (video games) he'd refuse to throw them out!
        Keep shoe shopping smile!

21. profile image52
        shoesueposted 14 years ago

You can never have too many shoes. My parter understands my obsession and luckly gets involved (not in that way)He just purchased me a great pair of patents from shoes4women.co.uk its quite a unique little site and the quality is superb for the price he paid.

22. profile image49
        Leo845posted 14 years ago

There are many favorite shoes it's very like and comfortable to wearing you. These are Minnetonka moccasins, Chippewa boots, Dan post boots, Dingo boots, Justin boots, Nocona boots, Tony lama boots etc.

23. classicalgeek profile image82
        classicalgeekposted 14 years ago

I have about 60 pairs of shoes, but that includes pairs that are specific to certain historical period costumes and are never worn otherwise. However I am NOT buying any more shoes, unless it's to replace a pair I have (which will then be donated to charity--all mine are in excellent shape). Occasionally I will wear out a pair and demote them to gardening shoes.

24. Black Lilly profile image59
        Black Lillyposted 14 years ago

There can never be too many pairs of shoes wink

Also you can never have too many evening dresses, make-up, perfumes, lingerie... you can have too many trainers though...I guess smile

1. profile image49
          Leo845posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think that you are right and i hope that there is many options for that ..I like to say that if you wear perfect shoes with perfect dress then you looking more smart.

25. Ann Nonymous profile image61
        Ann Nonymousposted 14 years ago

I'm still expanding my empire of leather...aka SHOES..so I hope there is no limit!!!

26. Dale Nelson profile image40
        Dale Nelsonposted 14 years ago

According to my wife, aparently not.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
      Necessary
      HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
      LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
      Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
      AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
      HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
      HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
      Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
      CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
      Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
      Features
      Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
      Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
      Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
      Marketing
      Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
      Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
      Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
      Statistics
      Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
      ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
      Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
      ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)