I am doomed (CTR low)

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (26 posts)
  1. David 470 profile image81
    David 470posted 13 years ago

I have said this in the past, but my CTR for Google adsense has taken a turn for the worst. It seems to be getting worse and worse. I do not know why this is happening.

Today was a record low for CTR for me. Does anyone else have a low click through ratio rate? (Do not post exact, not allowed)

Surely my income would be about 2x more if the CTR was average....

1. Susana S profile image94
      Susana Sposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I did give you a suggestion before about thinking about doing some tweaks to make sure your getting the best ads for your page, but I don't know if you saw it or not hmm

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/60792#post1348660

Having irrelevant ads will push down your CTR hugely.

To improve the ads I would use google's keyword tool to find related phrases that have high advertiser competition and use them in the capsule subheadings esp. the first & second capsules. Also add more generic tags such as gaming, xbox gaming, pc gaming, ps3 gaming, pc games, xbox games etc.

Also (unfortunately) the CTR for pages on gaming is notoriously low even when you have the right ads. To try and compensate I would put an amazon capsule on each of your black ops hubs with the game guide and push it in the content.

I have tested different ad layouts and the best I've found is this one: http://hubpages.com/hub/best-glider-roc … or-nursery

Edit: wrote high publisher competition by accident, it should be high advertiser competition.

1. Vcize profile image59
        Vcizeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Is it true that CTR for games are generally low?  In my experience, CTR for games is typically pretty good, the problem is that the clicks are worth so little compared to other niches.

2. KCC Big Country profile image86
    KCC Big Countryposted 13 years ago

My ctr sucks...but it can suck all the way to bank.  Don't get hung up on it.  You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him click.  smile

3. KCC Big Country profile image86

Of course our revenue would be higher if the ctr was better....but one important component is knowing what to write about that draws the kind of people who like to click.  You can't always write what you want and EXPECT the clicks to magically happen.  People who read about that topic might not be the type to click on ads.

David 470posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I just feel as if my traffic is going to complete waste essentially. I originally had an average CTR, but it has fallen significantly.

Perhaps I can pray lol? hmm

1. KCC Big Country profile image86
        KCC Big Countryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You can try that......but if it were me, I'd write more hubs instead.

Of course I am writing more hubs, but I always look at the potential of things if you know what I mean ..

4. CodyPhrenism profile image57
    CodyPhrenismposted 13 years ago

Set up your hubs with a picture up top and a text capsule beneath. This will maximize the amount of ads located above the fold and increase ctr accordingly.

An example is here
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Green-And-red-Striped-Socks

Play with it a little bit and you'll figure it out. Best of luck!

I could try that. I originally did it that way, but though it was bad.

2. David 470 profile image81

Does anyone think a picture at the top is better or a picture in the middle is better? I will change it to that, if the CTR can be potentially higher

5. KCC Big Country profile image86

Here's another thing to remember.  Would you really care if you had 10,000 pageviews and NO clicks, if one person who viewed that article offered you a job making XXXXXX?  Many of us, including me, have found opportunities that are worth much more to us that just Adsense money.  Keep writing, stop worrying.

1. Ladybird33 profile image67
      Ladybird33posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you 100 percent!  Writing is the key

6. Tim_511 profile image76
    Tim_511posted 13 years ago

I'm there with you, man.  I would be making a good 3x as much if my CTR was on the low end of normal.  I don't have as much traffic as you, but it is plenty enough to have some regular clicks.

7. jokeapptv profile image60
    jokeapptvposted 13 years ago

i agree have fun and dont give up.

8. Aficionada profile image80
    Aficionadaposted 13 years ago

I'm not sure I understand what Cody is saying.  Everyone else here says that a text capsule should be at the top, because that is prime Adsense space.  If a text capsule is first, then Adsense ads can be placed immediately to the right of it.  Break up all of the text of the Hub into several different text capsules, and that will provide more spots for ads.  Pictures can be sprinkled throughout, some between text capsules if they are worth having in a large size. Some pictures can be on the right side of a text capsule.  But the top spot should be a text capsule, if you have Adsense.

9. KCC Big Country profile image86

I'm not sure, but maybe he'll come back to clarify, but in his mind by putting a skinny photo of the item he's trying to promote at the top he thinks having the small ads that run through the middle close to the ones that run along the top is a good thing.

Many here believe the big ad is better to be just to the right of your first text box with that row of ads through the middle just below it.

You may have to play with it to see what works for you.

1. Aficionada profile image80
      Aficionadaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Good point.  Maybe it also has to do with what kind of Hub it is.  Since the one about socks is clearly promoting a product, the picture at the top helps to advertise the product and is useful in a way that a picture at the top of an informational Hub would not.  Maybe that's an important distinction.... I don't know.

2. Urbane Chaos profile image91
      Urbane Chaosposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There are four adsense sections showing up instead of the regular three on the example Cody gave us..  Sure, it gets more ads above the fold, but I don't know how effective they are.  To me, as a reader of articles, I would simply bypass all of that to get to the actual information that I'm looking for.

I think that by having the standard three the reader is more likely to notice the ads, rather than pass them by. 

I dunno, may have to test that and see how well it works.

10. KCC Big Country profile image86

It all depends on what that big block has.  For instance, I have a hub that I have 5 ads showing.  The two across the top and then the block that is sometimes one big ad, is instead 3 ads.  It all depends on what types of ads they match up with your content.  I'm sure that changes pretty regularly too. So, what appears to result in 5 ads one day, might go back to 3 the next.

11. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years ago

I just went to your latest hub and I really think you need to lose the picture at the top. If you insist on keeping it - make it a quarter in width and force it to the right. Then make your paragraph long enough so that you get a block of adsense ads to the the right under the pic.

That picture was a major distraction. If you want to increase your click rate, then focus on adsense before you focus on anything else.

The entire upper third of the hub, should be written and merchandized to bring the reader's eye to an adsense block - and nothing else.

Yeah, I was simply experimenting, that hub was not originally like that.

Perhaps the majority of people believe a picture first is generally a bad idea.

12. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years ago

My own personal opinion is that anything that isn't clickable or sellable on a sales hub is a waste of space.

13. skyfire profile image80
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

Bad advice. It's better not to put picture up top. First two capsules should be Text Capsules.

14. ns1209 profile image63
    ns1209posted 13 years ago

Also on the COD hubs have an amazon ad!

Yeah, I doubt sales will be made from them lol.

Amazon is not my niche right now...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)