Do You Write For Yourself or For Pay Outs?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (19 posts)
  1. nlthomas profile image60
    nlthomasposted 13 years ago

Simple as the title says, why do you write? Currently the hubs I have up are things I like talking about as well as things I wanted to know when I first started out as a writer. I'm very passionate about the writing process as well as various forms of publication.

This isn't to say I'm not hoping for a pay out off of these hubs, but right now I'm trying to brand myself, build up an audience and write to my strengths. I feel as though I should be adding some product reviews but I'm so OCD. I don't like unrelated hubs touching my writing and publication hubs.

I know I can make a second account just for this reason, but I like being true to myself and my readers. What about you?

Edit: What do you think of book reviews? It's kind of related to writing and publishing. Do book reviews do well on Hubpages?

1. LSKing profile image69
      LSKingposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I do both. However, I use keyword searches, and promote each blog so some how they end up having the potential to earn.

I write on a variety of topics and don't mind doing so under one account. Most of my readers will click on what they want to read so it's totally up to you how you go about it.

I love book and movie reviews. I would like to do some in the future. Honestly, anything well written and promoted has the potential to do well on Hubpages. Best Wishes!

2. profile image0
      Jake Gene Barnesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I write for me, and me alone.
      I hope that other people enjoy what I write, but I'm not really "out for profit."
      Hell, if you take a look at my hubs it should become apparent. I only write about things I WANT to write about.

1. profile image0
        Website Examinerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It would seem you are not seeking profit. You do not even use a URL tracker in your sign-up link.

1. profile image0
          Jake Gene Barnesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

True, I don't.

I genuinely want more people to join Hubpages. I think it's a great site and worthy of promotion.

But how were you able to ascertain that I don't use a URL tracker?

1. profile image0
            Website Examinerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nice attitude. A link with a tracker would have an underscore followed by a code after hubpages.com.

http://hubpages.com/forum/post/1200945

3. N.E. Wright profile image72
      N.E. Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I write for me. 

Even when I write interviewed topics they are for me.

Ideas for any type of story need to come from within me.  Or there is an idea that comes from a conversation I may have had with someone and that sparks a story idea. 

Still, in all I write for me.

4. profile image0
      cookingdivaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I would like to say for both. Best part would be to getting paid for doing what you love. I love cooking and I love writing to I am combining both, let's see how it pans out.

2. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

I realize you are new and only want to let you know that HubPages frowns on starting forum threads that are already going.

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/52426
    http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/49363
    http://hubpages.com/forum/post/969737
    http://hubpages.com/forum/post/1181516

Just a thought. smile

nlthomasposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sorry about that Cagsil. Thanks for the links.

3. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 13 years ago

Book reviews can be profitable, as they can be combined with Amazon ads, and some of the best marketers here have openly said that. I see that our interests are overlapping; writing about agencies and the publishing industry is not a bad choice for AdSense since many people are searching for that. If you are serious about your own creative writing, I wouldn't want to extend beyond those areas.

nlthomasposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thank you WB. Aside for internet marketing and branding, publishing and just the publication process in general is a huge passion of mine. I've been exploring various forms of publication for well over 10 years and have soaked up as much as I can.

I'm a sponge  wink

4. Flightkeeper profile image66
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

Whatever you do, don't do what I do.  I write on things that I want to write about, whether it's a product hub or an informational hub and I sometimes look at SEO.  It takes longer to get to payout but then again I don't write about too many things I'm bored about.

5. wearing well profile image75
    wearing wellposted 13 years ago

Hi nlthomas,
    I've found that I am writing about anything that inspires me as and when I find time to do so; but also with a view of adsense revenue potential to earn:)
    I also thought that when I joined HubPages that I would be writing more about my expertise field but I discovered that there was already plenty of advice to be found on that topic.
    I think also too that it's probable a good thing to try to write on various topics;potentially increasing your audience too and not limiting yourself to just one category:)
    The good thing here too,is that you can re-edit hubs to improve them at a later date if you so wish or place or try them in another category which increases your audience too.Your spoilt for choice really!

6. Mikeydoes profile image42
    Mikeydoesposted 13 years ago

Me, the money, and the power!

7. simeonvisser profile image68
    simeonvisserposted 13 years ago

I'm writing for myself but hopefully also for some money. I've written a lot in the past but not with the purpose of attracting people. My main writing style was informing and educating people but now I need to learn a writing style that includes keywords and that might motivate people to buy something (if I ever venture into product hubs that is). So in the process I'm learning myself as well - the web is here to stay and learning how to write for it is a valuable skill. That includes learning how to promote your content.

8. nlthomas profile image60
    nlthomasposted 13 years ago

Thank you all for your replies. There's so much to learn on this site and I still have a lot of questions which I am trying to discover for myself. I guess one reason I asked this is because we're tight on money, so I begin to panic.

I have other paying freelance jobs, but the assignments right now are slim. I would love to make payout within 6 months, but also don't think it will be possible unless I get aggressive.

Least I'm getting my name out there.

1. wearing well profile image75
      wearing wellposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Don't panic!
      If your consistant here you will be successful.
      There is always someone prepared to answer your questions as a newbie here at HubPages.
      Best Wishes and Good Luck smile

9. Lily Rose profile image85
    Lily Roseposted 13 years ago

You're right, there is a lot to learn, but you will learn it as you go.  It's definitely possible to make payout within 6 months, but, yes, you may have to be a little aggressive.  Write quality hubs and do some keyword research (well, the other way around actually!) - that's a good start.  I made payout (AdSense) after month 3, then every other month until month 12 and now well over threshold each month. 

To answer your original question, I write to keep my stay-at-home-mom brain working/sane and mostly for the money.  I do really enjoy providing readers with information that will help them in some way and that is easily done here through hubs, whether it's on topics that I'm passionate about or products that I love...so far so good and it's only getting better!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)