Please help, I received this comment

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (38 posts)
  1. saleheensblog profile image60
    saleheensblogposted 13 years ago

I got this comment, "I found a great poet today (YOU)!!!! I'm looking for great artistic real troubled thoughts for my book like this one. I'm asking you please please donate this great poem to my TROUBLED THOUGHTS BOOK OR ANY OF YOUR GREAT POEMS THEY WOULD BE A GREAT ADDITION TO IT. I INVITE YOU TO JOIN MY WORLD PLEASE GET BACK TO ME AS SOON AS POSSIBLE THANKS AGAIN LOVE HOW YOU SPEAK FROM YOUR SOUL. IT WAS VERY INTERESTING TO READ THAT YOU ALSO DREAM WITH CONNECTION OF THE SPIRIT REALM. I BELIEVE WHEN WE DREAM ITS WHERE WE HAVE A CHANCE TO GO BEYOND OUR OWN MIND..."

I received this comment 2 months ago in one of my poem. I was also mailed. The fellow hubber requested me to donate few or at least one poem for her book. I never answered because I was not sure what to do. Now I want to respond to that hubber.

What should be my response? I want to help her but I want the credit of my work. Would I ask for money? Wouldn't that be rude? Would I tell her to use my poems and mention my name as a author or what?

Please suggest. Here is the poem where the comment is up <snipped link> .

1. profile image0
      ssaulposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am surprise the person pick up this thread to defend them self. I honestly don't trust people asking for contents for their work, just politely turn the hubber down. smile

2. Richieb799 profile image77
    Richieb799posted 13 years ago

Yes Saleheen I would ask for a minimum amount you feel satisfied with and get a copywrite on the poem, there are methods of copywrite that allow people to reproduced but state that credit must be included on the pages of your name or perhaps you could request your web address be printed alongside it?

saleheensblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

thank you for the reply, it makes sense. Lets see what others have to say, then I will take a decision.

3. Paul Wingert profile image60
    Paul Wingertposted 13 years ago

If she' going to make money off her book, you should charge her something to include your poem(s).

1. lorlie6 profile image73
      lorlie6posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree with Paul, SB.  You mentioned the person is another hubber, I'd be interested in their hubtivity.  I may be paranoid, but I'd want to know more before getting further involved.

her profile name is generalbrat

4. KCC Big Country profile image84
    KCC Big Countryposted 13 years ago

From the little I've read in her hubs, she seems only interested in donated poems.  It appears that she is willing to give you the credit for writing it, but it doesn't appear that she is wanting to pay for the poems.  Again, I got that only from reading a couple of her hubs that talk about it.

hmm I think it too. So, better not respond?

1. KCC Big Country profile image84
        KCC Big Countryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm not sure why you feel the need to respond now when you said you received this comment 2 months ago.  You're not obligated to respond.  It all depends on how you feel about having your work published by someone else (with or without credit to you) and how you feel about donating it if they do or do not get paid for the book.

Personally, if I had inclination of EVER publishing my own work I'd save it for myself.

5. Richieb799 profile image77
    Richieb799posted 13 years ago

Now I come to think about it I might have received an email like this before, not directly on Hubpages but via email since I have a few poems also. Don't think I replied. KCC is probably right.
    However there is no harm in replying if you are interested, ask her how much she will be charging for her book and try and calculate how much you think would be fair.

hmmm, the hubber is generalbrat. She is not going to pay me as her profile suggested. She is willing to help children by the turnover of the book and the book will be a tribute to her lost son. I can donate my life for children but the question is how will know if she is speaking the truth or not.

I think I need to contact with some fellow poets? Saddle Ridder must have been mailed already for sure.

1. Tammy L profile image67
        Tammy Lposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Another poetry writing hubber you might want to ask is Suburban Poet.  Ask him if he's been contacted as well.

2. Hokey profile image61
        Hokeyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I write poetry, songs and music. My stuff is copyrighted so I am protected. Steal it and FEEL MY WRATH!!!!!(thunder lightning)

Protect yourself. There are alot of lyrical thieves. Plus I dont trust anyone who says they are doing it for children without a little reasearch.

6. KCC Big Country profile image84
    KCC Big Countryposted 13 years ago

I lost a son as well, so I understand and appreciate her desire to pay tribute to him.  Her intentions can be as golden as the day is long.  What she appears to be doing is nothing different than the "Chicken Soup for Soul" series.  That's all Jack Canfield and Mark Victor Hansen did.  They compiled and edited other people's stories.  They've made millions.

7. saleheensblog profile image60
    saleheensblogposted 13 years ago

thanks KCC, i am going to keep it for myself. I suddenly came across the mail when reading and deleting some old mails and though to discuss it with you.

8. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 13 years ago

It is clearly a non-paying offer.  But even when donating work I want to know *exacrly* how it will be published, priced and distributed--and if it will earn any profit, what will be done with that money.

9. simeonvisser profile image69
    simeonvisserposted 13 years ago

This is all way too vague indeed. Things should be made more clear when two people want to to business together. In particular when someone approaches you and asks for poems while writing in ALL CAPS. Sorry, no business deal.

1. generalbrat profile image66
      generalbratposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi I'm going to comment on why I typed it in CAP'S it was to show the poet what I read was well written. I enjoyed it very much it was for no other reason. I don't intend to offend anyone.

10. generalbrat profile image66
    generalbratposted 13 years ago

Let me comment on this book I'm trying to create this is for a good cause I want to donate future earnings to Valley Childrens Hospital of Madera Ca when it's done and if I ever sell any future published books, those who want to validate anything I'm saying to be true, regarding any of what I'm doing, your more than welcome to do your investigation! I also want to make very clear that any poem that is donated I will ask that you provide your name so that I can give credit for the poem to the author or authors. I will never take credit nor will I falsely claim a poem as mine, not only is that wrong morally but illegal.That poem will become a part of my book of course, whatever they'd like to add is up to them, I'm not trying to replace the writer I am going to make sure their names are in the book with there work which is why I encourage everyone that is willing to donate a poem to please include your full name or any A.K.A. that you are known by. Again, the choice I hope I made very clear to everyone is yours and yours alone to take part and be willing to help me with "Troubled Thoughts" a book that has been inspired by the loss of my son. Finally, I would like to add that everyone whether they are aware of it or not, has already helped me a great deal with all of your questions,comments and replies. Thank you and God Bless you!!

11. profile image0
    EmpressFelicityposted 13 years ago

I know what my response would have been - "thanks but no thanks"!  (Or to put it more politely "Thank you for your interest but I don't want to take part.")

I know this sounds cynical but this person wants to make money out of other people's work and on the face of it, it doesn't sound as though you will get anything in return (except possibly a name check/link but it looks as though contributors are having to ask even for that!) 

She does say that 30% of the proceeds will go to charity (a hospital) but you have no way of verifying that, short of writing to the hospital and hoping for a reply.

I'd steer clear, personally.  You're under no obligation even to respond.

12. Jeff Berndt profile image73
    Jeff Berndtposted 13 years ago

If someone wants the right to use your poem in their book, typically that right is paid for, either in a one-time fee, or by a percentage of sales, or some combination thereof.

And you retain copyright.

Would you do your day job for free?

13. camlo profile image83
    camloposted 13 years ago

I'd willingly donate my work, but only under certain conditions: If 30% of the proceeds were to go to charity, then I'd want a legally binding contract drawn up that secures this, and secures my fair share of the other 70%.
    No matter how the royalties are to be divided, it must be agreed in a contract.

14. Darrke Thoughts profile image60
    Darrke Thoughtsposted 13 years ago

Do you get a free copy of the book if one of your poems is in it?

I saw something a few years back where people would do a poetry or short story collection, and then sell the books ... mainly to the authors who contributed so they could see their work "published", and oh, you might want to order a few more copies for family or friends. 

Interesting way to make money publishing poetry. 

They did the same thing when I was in high school with these "who's who" books.  You got to be in them, but then they wanted you to buy a copy for $30-40 so you could prove that you were there to friends and family.

I don't see anything wrong with donating a poem as long as you are getting credit, just beware that sometimes these things end up to be some kind of scam to get you to buy the book after it's published.

15. thisisoli profile image71
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

I would ask for a payment, or you could always ask for the poem to be credited to you, with a link to your Hubpages profile maybe!

Personally though I would go for the cash, make sure there is an official contract though wink The message seems a little shady to be honest!

16. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 13 years ago

It might help to note I also donated a poem to Generalbrat , She contacted me through the means of Email, after reading some of my stuff, I believe she is a genuine and caring person. She has praised my poetry and others. She also was right up front  and told me of her intentions. The way I see it is what have you got to lose , a beautiful poem? We should be so lucky as to be published at all as poets ,as she is too! We have all kinds of options as writers , self publishing etc. Also I think that no matter what if she got something from my poetry ? Then that alone is worth everything. If you read her hubs , I think, its obvious . She cares!

17. profile image0

And besides people , How popular do you think your poetry or any poetry is for that matter. In my oppinion its hard to get published and harder to make money at it. I have even checked into publishing, you can say what you want about my poetry or anyones, If someone appreciates my scattering of thoughts , more power to them. I give her credit for asking, she could just take it and go . Bless her for whats shes intending at least.

1. profile image0
      china manposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Devaluing poetry to free is to devalue the poetry to zero I would say.  But then - I wasn't asked big_smile

18. profile image0

Here's the thing , What is your poem worth if not for the reason that it was written? To convey you're emotion and to share ? If that makes sense.  I actually read someones hub saying; !1000 page views a day is minimum for making anything significant. Ive got about 8000 hub views in seven months on just poetry and short stories. And I've read alot of stuff here, are any of you making so much money you can't give a poem away? Wow!

1. profile image0
      EmpressFelicityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

But why should the OP give something away for nothing, just because someone asks and promises that a percentage is going to be "for charidee"?

Sorry but I've heard so many hard luck stories (both IRL and on the Internet) and read so much bullsh1t, that my default answer to requests of this kind would always be "no".  Which is a shame if this person is genuine, but there you go.

1. profile image0

To shamelesslly promote his hubs of course - katrina however is no self promotion.

19. profile image0

Is that directed at me there China man?

1. profile image0

are you the OP ?   if so yes, if not no.  g'night smile

20. profile image0

China man, I guess I am the OP , I think I gave general brat her first poem for the book she will write, Oh , and yes I shamelessly promote my poetry , For free ! Are your hubs connected to adsence or whatever to earn money , mine are not!Good night to youu too!

1. profile image0

No you are not hte OP - that is saleensblog I think.

My hubs are connected to Adsence and my poetry is under my other name,   alternate poet

21. profile image0

So , Is it a charity donation that upsets you so much or a 'shameless' self promotion of poetry. So what IF , she were to use it for her own interests. Look at her website , the answer seems obvious to me. If she were to make a "profit " from my poem, God bless her ! I haven't . And probably niether have many others here. Man ,sorry people ,  I have got to get a hobby and stay off these ego-centricaly oriented forums. Peace out forum lovers everywhere!

1. profile image0

It does not upset me in any way nor was I implying you or anyone should not give away your poetry for free - I was just pointing out that it is a valueless transaction and so you are vauing your poetry at zero.  It is entirely your business what you do about it.

And the self-promotion was in regard to the OP who put this up, gets attention to his stuff and has not appeared in the thread since.

22. profile image0

But my friend , China man , I can give away my poetry all day long and still value it highly , And I do ,for personal reasons, not for monetary value . That's what I'm trying to clear up ,thats all,  When I'm ready to publish then it takes on a different value ,perhaps. In the end a poem is made up of words , And in effect all she would have to do is change a line or two and it could be hers anyway! At least she asked and she did so kindly and with praise and appreciation. Peace my friend.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)