Difference between Ignorance and Stupid.

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (23 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Sophia Angeliqueposted 13 years ago

I find a lot of people confuse being ignorant with being stupid. They are different.

To be ignorant of something (and one may be ignorant of a few few things, or a great many things) means that one doesn't know about something, and doesn't realize that one doesn't know.

To be stupid means not to have the capacity to work something out.

Quite honestly, research shows that an average I.Q. is more than sufficient to be able to work out most things. In order to receive a doctorate, one only needs 9 points above average.

So my point is that most people aren't really stupid so much as just ignorant about some things.

1. profile image0
      Kerry43posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Stupid is not necessarily not having the capacity to work something out as much as it is not admitting that you don't know and not asking questions to resolve that problem. I see your point though.

Yuck, that was a long and ugly sentence! lol

Kez:)

1. profile image0

Actually, you can be ignorant and know that you are, too. I am ignorant of lots of things I just haven't learned yet.

Moi

2. profile image0

Furthermore.... there are also people who have developmental disabilities and who are unable to work things out in the manner that most people do. Those people are not stupid. I have had students who do not have the ability to string enough words together to form a sentence, yet they can play the piano beautifully for 20 minutes or more without sheet music- something I cannot do.

3. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree.

2. mega1 profile image78
    mega1posted 13 years ago

stupid is knowing how to, where to, when to, and why to and still not doing it!  ignorant is not yet having the answers to any questions, uneducated.  stupid is not having the answers and pretending one does. unintelligent is sometimes not having the ability to be educated.  stupid is having the ability and refusing to be educated.

hmm smile lol ;/

1. profile image0

Yes, what you said mega1 lol. Thanks.

Kez

3. C.V.Rajan profile image58
    C.V.Rajanposted 13 years ago

When my wife doesn't know something, she is ignorant.
    When I don't know something, I am stupid.
    That's the scale!

1. profile image0

LOL. My husband just said the same thing

2. profile image0

LOL. My husband just said the same thing

4. timorous profile image82
    timorousposted 13 years ago

Ignorance can also mean a willful refusal to learn something you didn't already know.  Read Cagsil's hubs on ignorance.

Stupid is doing or saying something you shouldn't have, even though you knew immediately after, you ought to have known better.

1. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Timorous. smile

5. profile image0
    Sophia Angeliqueposted 13 years ago

I think you should all look up the meaning in the dictionary.
    ig·no·rance   /ˈɪgnərəns/  Show Spelled
    [ig-ner-uhns]  Show IPA

–noun

the state or fact of being ignorant; lack of knowledge, learning, information, etc.
    stu·pid   /ˈstupɪd, ˈstyu‐/  Show Spelled
    [stoo-pid, styoo‐]  Show IPA
    adjective, -er, -est,  noun 
    –adjective
    1. lacking ordinary quickness and keenness of mind; dull.
    2. characterized by or proceeding from mental dullness; foolish; senseless: a stupid question.
    3. tediously dull, esp. due to lack of meaning or sense; inane; pointless: a stupid party.
    4. annoying or irritating; troublesome: Turn off that stupid radio.
    5. in a state of stupor; stupefied: stupid from fatigue.
    6. Slang . excellent; terrific.

The word means as I defined it in my first post. Many people use the words incorrectly and interchangeably because they are unaware of the meaning of the words. That's ignorance.

Is it stupidity? No. Stupidly is the ability to do things.

1. profile image0

Hello; with all due respect, using the word stupid as a descriptive such as "that stupid radio" is not the same thing as "stupid from fatigue" etc. So it then depends on what context the word is used in.

I also said in one of my posts that "I am ignorant of lots of things I just haven't learned yet." So, I do claim to be ignorant of many things.

I don't know what you mean by "stupidly is the ability to do things" but either way, you might consider rephrasing your posts in future so you don't come off as being condescending -synonym-patronizing.

P.S. Stupid can also be used in the following manner " It is stupid to copy and paste material from another source and not cite it correctly."

Have a great day.

Kerry

1. profile image0
        Sophia Angeliqueposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Where did I say that stupidity is the ability to do things????

I understand what you are saying about context of the word. I was referring to the many posts here in which some people refer to others as stupid.

My post disagreed with that. I don't think these people have a right to call others stupid.

I merely pointed out that not knowing something was a result of ignorance not stupidity.

1. profile image0

Sophia; the line I referred to is the last line of your own post where you suggested we may all need a dictionary.

You didn't make any written reference to other people being rude in the forums initially, therefore it is not possible to know what you were thinking when you made your first post.

Kerry

1. profile image0

Kerry, when people define words according to what they think they mean, and not according to what they mean, I think it's adviseable that they use a dictionary.

Throughout our schooling, we were advised to check the meaning of words before we responded to them. I still do.

And I didn't have to make any reference to the many people that call other people stupid.

Doesn't it upset you that some call others stupid? It upsets me. Athough I disagree with many things that other people believe, I don't think they are stupid because they believe them, and I don't think that other people have the right to call them stupid.

Yes, they may be ignorant but that's okay. We all are, to some extent.

1. profile image0

Good evening, Sophia;

yes it is disturbing to hear people speak to others so rudely, but it is not healthy to let things get next to you like that.

Kez:)

1. profile image0

smile

6. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

The difference between Ignorance and Stupid?

Ignorance is nothing more than a lack of knowledge.

Stupid isn't related to knowledge, because it's descriptive of someone's actions.

1. profile image0

Thank you, Cagsil.

2. profile image0

For once I agree with you...

7. pylos26 profile image71
    pylos26posted 13 years ago

Cagsil gets it done!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)