Facebook is deleting “likes”

Jump to Last Post 1-24 of 24 discussions (45 posts)
  1. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 13 years ago

Facebook is deleting “likes” all over the place. Goodbye to all those lovely organic links… sad

Doesn’t seem to be any rhyme or reason to it either. Unless the default for all "likes" is now gradually being set to private and friends-only. Which means Google is never going to see them.  That is not good news...

Check your hubs.

1. cpvr profile image60
      cpvrposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's a rumor, its not happening.

1. DjBryle profile image69
        DjBryleposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It happened to all my hubs... sad

2. livewithrichard profile image71
    livewithrichardposted 13 years ago

Where did you hear that?  I did a search, news search, facebook search, and couldn't find anything to substantiate this claim.

paradigmsearchposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Same here. No confirmation anywhere.

Except, if you start checking hubs with known likes, many of them are no more.

As to why this is so, I'm just speculating like everyone else.

Check your hubs.sad

1. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Untrue. Recently someone else posted in the forum that when they went to edit their hubs, some which had lots of likes on FB, after the editing was done, then the "likes" were also gone.

It could be just a glitch in Hubpages. However, I still have my likes on all the hubs that have them.

2. DjBryle profile image69
        DjBryleposted 13 years agoin reply to this

One of my hubs had 130 "likes" and now, they are all gone sad

3. paradigmsearch profile image60

The main reward for quality is getting lots of likes aka links for google to count. That is how google knows it’s a good hub. And thus how success comes about. If quality is no longer able to be recognized by google, then this “game” has just become too damn hard…

Let’s hope to hell all those earned links are still publicly out there, and the disappearing counts on our hubs are for a completely different reason.

1. livewithrichard profile image71
      livewithrichardposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I've just made a cursory check of my hubs known to have likes and they are all still there. Also, I have dozens of hubs that have no likes at all and they are still showing on the first page or near the first page of google for the keywords I'm targeting. So the likes are no where near what it takes to be found by Google.

I think you are placing too much emphasis on the importance of likes for your hubs. They certainly can be a benefit but no more or less than other social bookmarks.

Social bookmarking is only as good as your network. This means you have to have a large network.

2. kephrira profile image59
      kephriraposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I thought facebook links were all nofollow anyway, so they would have a small or non-existent effect on search engine rankings. Was I wrong about that?

All I know is that my multiple-liked hubs got traffic and my other hubs did not. So maybe the links are no-follow, but they most certainly were counted, added up, and given brownie points accordingly.

1. WryLilt profile image89
          WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You're assuming that the likes bought you traffic.

Maybe you've got the cart before the horse.

Maybe you're getting likes BECAUSE of the traffic.

2. livewithrichard profile image71

The links on facebook are nofollow unless they are on a fanpage or group page.  The like and tweet buttons at the top of all our hubs count as votes in favor like diggs and SU's, and from here they are only as valuable as the size of the social network that views it. 

When a person clicks on like or tweet it gets posted on that persons wall or account, if that person has hundreds or thousands of followers then potentially hundreds or thousands of other people will see it, trust the person that liked or tweeted it and then follow to like or tweet as well.  If the person has only a few followers in his/her network then there is not much of a benefit.

Likes and tweets can improve the traffic to your content and the traffic will improve the ranking of your content.

3. thisisoli profile image70
      thisisoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The only part of facebook that Google uses is Fan Pages, Bing uses public data on profiles only.

*edit* noticed a few different viewpoints on this.

In a recent interview with both Google and Bing the two search engine giants discussed social media. WHiel they do not bother with most social media, they both use (Microsoft will be using it a lot more in the future, most of their SM ranking algorithm changes are in the works) Twitter and Facebook to help judge what people are finding interesting. They both use these social media tools in slightly different ways, but they are now both using twitter and facebook as part of the rankign algorithm.

4. Ellarose92 profile image59
    Ellarose92posted 13 years ago

oh wow, i hope this isnt the case

5. paradigmsearch profile image60

Alas, I do not. And there was no editing involved. Plus, I recollect HP responded in that other thread that it wasn't HP's doing.

I'm going and checking more hubs. And not just mine.

6. paradigmsearch profile image60

Some of mine are gone. Some are not. No editing involved. Weird.

I’m done with this for the day.

If others are missing likes, hopefully they will report it here.

Better yet, no one reports anything missing. And both me and the other person’s likes will have reappeared by tomorrow.

7. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

does anyone have official word about this? I noticed sunforged mentioned it yesterday on the hubfeed that FB is deleting likes. I looked on some of my hubs this morning, and the likes are gone or fewer. hmm

8. skyfire profile image80
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

I guess blackhat folks created some sort of bot to produce likes to their articles which got noticed by FB spam team.

9. livewithrichard profile image71
    livewithrichardposted 13 years ago

http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/social.med … book.spam/

I just found this and it looks as if the cuts are aimed at reducing spam likes.

10. paradigmsearch profile image60

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/4512430_f520.jpg

Well, even more of my likes have disappeared.

If this turns out to be some sort of weird glitch, then consider the above image as humor.

If, however, this turns out to be tied in with all the other recent FB news, then this is definitely not humor.

If anyone can shed some light on this it would be much appreciated.

I can also absolutely and categorically state that none of my likes are/were spam likes. If that is indeed what FB is doing here, then they are screwing up big time and hurting innocent people.

11. rebekahELLE profile image85

they can help in directing the right traffic to hubs. I recently had a quite prominent contact that ended up liking one of my hubs. It's those people that can make that 'like' feature beneficial.

Exactly, its the quality and size of the network of the person that "likes" your content or "tweets" your content. It's the same for all social networks.  The larger your network the further your reach but quality matters because if you are just a random follower or have random followers the quality of those likes and tweets will show no or little benefit.

12. rebekahELLE profile image85

now I just checked that hub and all the likes are gone...
    I don't understand. they were not spam likes.

13. Anamika S profile image67
    Anamika Sposted 13 years ago

That happened to me too!  I had  2 high traffic hubs one which had over 630 likes and another 162 likes the last time i checked it and now i have only 2 likes. I was hoping that some miracle would happen and i would see the same numbers again... But...

14. paradigmsearch profile image60

The next thing to wonder about is if the hubs with the deleted likes are now permanently blacklisted. If no new likes show up in a reasonable amount of time, then the answer is a very probable yes.

well lets test that theory. Give me a hub you know had likes, Ill go like it and see if it appears.

Okay, go check.

Edit:  I see the like show on your page but it did not show up on my wall on FB.

Thanks! The lonely one like is there.smile We will see how long it stays.

The no-show on the FB page does not bode well...

15. rebekahELLE profile image85

hmm, I just checked all of the 10 hot hubs in the Hubs category and hardly any of them are showing likes...

I'm going outside, enough techie talk for me. my FB plug in recommendation is only showing hubs shared and the # of shares, no likes from anyone on anybody's hubs.

I kind of consider your post good news. It would tend to indicate that this is a major technical foul-up, rather than a deliberate act by FB.

Maybe this isn’t an FML moment after all. lol

16. paradigmsearch profile image60

I am 99% certain that these 2 news stories tie in to our missing likes somehow.

http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2011/01/ … likes-ads/

http://technolog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20 … w-paid-ads

17. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

Well...I never got any Facebook 'likes' to notice any difference.
    Used to feel left out (no friends) but now I don't feel so bad.

18. darkside profile image66
    darksideposted 13 years ago

There's very little chance that Google is going to index Likes anyway. Even if your profile is public that doesn't mean the outside world can see it unless they're logged into Facebook.

19. paradigmsearch profile image60

Between the earlier articles posted about spam-likes and these new articles, plus some other research; I have now concluded that those missing likes (and their associated, google counted-up links) are never coming back. And that is that.

It will be interesting to see how long it takes google to discover my radically reduced link count.

Looks like my new profile pic is here to stay; leastwise until some counterbalancing good thing happens (fat chance). smile

Time for me to find a new “career path”.

20. paradigmsearch profile image60

The Likes are coming back.

There, I'm done on this third (?) thread. smile

21. thisisoli profile image70
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

For reference look on Danny Sullivan's blog or

http://www.seomoz.org/blog/google-bing- … luence-seo

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

how does this affect how likes are not showing in the FB plug-in here at HP. The box used to be full of hubbers who shared or liked a hub. now all I see is http://www.facebook.com/plugins/activit … ions=false

1. bgamall profile image68
        bgamallposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I saw  that too. Probably should get it off hubs. How can that police hubs have so many likes in such a short time and the others don't exist?

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
          rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have no idea. No one really seems to have an official answer.. but none of them are 'likes'. they are all hubs shared or # of people who shared the hub.

2. thisisoli profile image70
        thisisoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It was confirming htat while facebook likes do not affect SEO so much, they do have a use in SEO.

22. bgamall profile image68
    bgamallposted 13 years ago

What are you people talking about? I have no clue what you are discussing in this thread.

23. Sally's Trove profile image77
    Sally's Troveposted 13 years ago

I was amazed to find that this Hub, "The Police Wife Life, An Urgent Cry For The Support of Law Enforcement Officers, by Melissa Littleswhich" had nearly 6,000 FB hits, likes, views, whatever you want to call them, a week ago, and then in the last few days went down to something like 10. Now it's showing "4802 people shared this."

There's something screwy with fb.

24. brimancandy profile image79
    brimancandyposted 13 years ago

Yeah. I noticed that several of the groups I belonged to are gone.
    And, I have also picked up a few friends who I have no clue who they are, or how they got on my friend list.

Not liking that one bit.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)