jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (7 posts)

Post 9/11 G.I. Bill

1. profile image0
    Travis_S_Musicposted 6 years ago

So, I'm getting to use this G.I. Bill when I start college in the summer. I'm still learning about it and how it works though. My main question is, is it possible to use the BAH from it to pay the first payment on an apartment? I'm moving half way across the state for college and I don't really know anyone up there, so I was wondering if any one knows if it's possible for that, so I can get a place up where I'm moving.

1. Christy Goff profile image58
      Christy Goffposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Yes you can, but remember, you have to pay for tuition and books.  But if moving is where you can get an education, the answer is YES.

1. profile image0
        Travis_S_Musicposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Well the bill gives a $1000 cover for books and all. It pays for tuition, and the classes as well.  I'm just trying to find out if there's a way to get the money from it for the housing allowance to pay for the apartment before I've actually moved there.

1. Christy Goff profile image58
          Christy Goffposted 6 years agoin reply to this

It should, but if not, look into other grants.  My brother had a GI grant as well as others.  He was in college for ten years.

1. profile image0

Yeah, I'll look into some others just in case. (:

2. dutchman1951 profile image60
      dutchman1951posted 6 years agoin reply to this

Travis, make sure they do not require you to turn in a reciept for the tuition payment and books, if not, you can probly use it then.

1. profile image0

The books they do not. The tuition and all others, they pay directly to the school. The housing allowance they give me a check, and its used to pay rent/utilities/whatever else I may need/want. That's why I'm trying to find out if I can possibly get the housing allowance before I do move, so I can use it to pay the first bill in getting the apartment.

working