My Google.com traffic is on the RISE....

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (89 posts)
  1. profile image0
    ryankettposted 13 years ago

A couple of days ago I began the process of tidying up my Hubpages, in the past 24 hours I have seen a rise in Google.com traffic of 14% on the 24 hour prior. I also saw a rise in that 24 hour period too. This is despite having deleted 15 hubs recently, a couple which were OK traffic winners.

Whilst it is too early to get excited, I will keep people updated if the trend continues, as I work through my portfolio. If I can sustain this improvement I will analyse it in a little more depth.

If I can identify specific patterns of growth on a hub by hub basis, and can directly relate this to specific changes, I will let you know. There is a possibility that these hubs are simply benefitting in the short term from the 'ping' that they are getting when edited, but like I said - I will see if this is sustained.

I have been a little more ruthless than some are advocating with my changes. Plus I have another 20-25 hubs to delete, if I can still achieve gains despite that deletion then I probably have something worthwhile to share.

I realise that as I have a wide and very diverse portfolio there may be something that I can offer others. Will keep you updated.

1. Hubman007 profile image60
      Hubman007posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Same here Ryan, and i have quite a diverse collection like yourself so this is positive.

Like you said, its too early to get excited but it was nice to wake up and see a rise in traffic for a change!

Do note, I havent edited any of my hubs yet so this could be a domain wide rise.

2. CMHypno profile image82
    CMHypnoposted 13 years ago

Thanks for the update Ryan. My traffic has also been on the rise after a lot of tweaking, but Adsense and Amazon still seems to be on the floor. But of course it is hard to know what it would have been like without the slap, and other factors could be in play.

1. profile image0
      ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have no idea what has happened to AdSense. The CTR is non-existant, the earnings per click are miniscule. That may be Google pricing the site differently, effectively smartpricing it, or it could be to do with the new ad layout. Perhaps the best ads will begin to be displayed again soon. I'm sure that Hubpages will know the answer.

If your Google.com traffic rises to your sales pages and you sustain that rise then your Amazon sales will rise with it, that one is simple smile

And, my Amazon sales are (slowly) rising again. That has happened in correlation with rising Google.com traffic.

1. CMHypno profile image82
        CMHypnoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Ryan. It is the information hubs that are improving the most strongly, and so are the most affected by the Adsense dip.

I suspect that the Amazon downturn from the sales hubs is just one of those things. Sales in Feb were very strong until the slap, but there are a lot of things going on in the world at the moment that will be distracting people (quite rightly) away from shopping.

It will come about, and if all the pain produces a better HP product for all of us in the end, it will be worth it smile

3. Huntter Karu profile image61
    Huntter Karuposted 13 years ago

Thanks ryankett, that will help all of us smile

4. Ultimate Hubber profile image71
    Ultimate Hubberposted 13 years ago

That's good Ryan. Are you deleting Ebay/Amazon hubs or what?

1. profile image0

I am currently deleting primarily hubs which are exceedingly low quality, copied (from myself), or just haven't ever worked on Hubpages no matter what I have tried.

I suspect to see a portfolio of around 680, I have some more which - admittedly - probably shouldn't be on the site. Unless you are talking about capsules?

With capsules I am dragging hubs in compliance with the new rules. I am also experimenting with the complete removal of capsules and partial removal of capsules on non-sales pages.

1. Ultimate Hubber profile image71
        Ultimate Hubberposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Okay, thanks a lot! smile

5. profile image0

I am also altering the way that I link, but more on that if I succeed.

1. rorymullen profile image59
      rorymullenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Looks like you know what you are doing. I am cleaning house to also, but I will be checking back in to see how things are going.

6. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 13 years ago

Ryan, we'll all be watching with bated breath!

I haven't done anything with my Hubs yet (apart from fixing a couple of Amazon Hubs that got flagged) - it seems to me there's no point until I have a clearer idea what I NEED to do.

1. lrohner profile image68
      lrohnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ditto. I've tweaked those that were flagged for too many products, but that's it until I know more.

1. profile image0

That's why I'm not going into details just yet, I know that I am taking a few risks. I am effectively using my entire portfolio as a guinea pig, with the hope that some good will come out of it.

I wouldn't want to encourage people to copy me, I wouldn't want to be held responsible for anything which goes wrong. Just yet anyway.

All of my decisions have been informed and well considered though, so I hope that some good can come out of it smile

7. lakeerieartists profile image63
    lakeerieartistsposted 13 years ago

I am working to bring my sales capsules into line, but as of yet have seen no real change in traffic. My Amazon has not changed significantly before and after the Panda change, but my Adsense which went way down is now climbing back to much closer to where it was.

Ebay on the other hand, is not doing so well at the moment.

My own personal take is that RSS feeds when appropriate should be fine but I think it all comes back to how much original solid content is on each hub.

News feeds are the same.  I think raping and pillaging all of your hard work is a little premature, and instead it makes more sense to improve your older hubs from when you didn't write as well, and delete or replace hubs that do not follow the rules as they should be followed.

If you have been writing good, solid original content, then there are other answers that should be looked for, which I am confident Team Hubpages is pushing extremely hard to discover.

This is a site wide issue, not just each one of us, and the entire site needs to be remedied.  As I have mentioned in another thread, none of my other sites which are extremely similar in writing style, and presentation to my hubs are suffering in the slightest due to this Google algorithm change.

1. profile image0

"raping and pillaging all of your hard work"

Removing a few capsules and removing summaries from links doesn't take anything from my hard work wink

I see news feed as traffic leaks, and 'latest hubs' RSS feeds as irrelevant content which doesn't move much traffic.

I expect to see more traffic through monetized areas as a result. And that is before considering duplicate content.

If it fails, and it turns out that RSS feeds really do benefit as a result of 'freshness' then I will go back and re-add them.

If you use highly relevant RSS feeds, using your tags, then go for it. But I prefer to use link capsules instead, with no summary text.

I am also reducing the number of internal links on each page. I am making these more relevant. I am also pointing them to important high value hubs in many cases, and removing low value hubs.

The more internal links in a hubpage the less authority is passed to each, if I reduce to 5 important hubs, then those 5 important hubs are getting a stronger internal link. Some of my hubs had 10-20 internal links including RSS feeds, many to hubs which will never be important or have no realistic chance of a decent SERPS ranking.

And whilst I am still just experimenting, I have a strong conviction that my changes will make a difference to my important hubs.

Please note that I am in no way advocating that people copy me, I just wanted to share my experimentation. Each of the steps that I have taken is based upon SEO theory that I have read extensively.

Maybe it will work, maybe it won't, but I am happy to try. I also believe that these changes are making my hubs more search engine friendly and more reader friendly, irrespective of whether I see profit growth.

8. Misha profile image64
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

Correlation does not imply causation. Usually, search engines do not work THAT fast.

1. profile image0

Misha, I know, and to be honest I think it has more to do with the 'ping'. Although, I have seen a few pages improve slightly in the SERPS already, whether that is related or not I do not know.

But, I still believe that these changes are going to enhance the aesthetics and CTR on my Hubpages.

So even if I don't make them stronger in the eyes of Google, and my traffic doesn't improve, I will still be happier with my portfolio.

All I know is that I am seeing a fair few red arrows, more than I have seen at any stage since the bump. One page view per Hubpage from me isn't causing that either (if the edit views even count).

9. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years ago

I agree with Misha that Search Engines Results and traffic don't usually respond within two or three days to changes - Unless a manual penalty is being reversed.

1. frogdropping profile image77
      frogdroppingposted 13 years agoin reply to this

We can but dream smile

1. Mark Knowles profile image57
        Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am fairly certain this is not a manual penalty. sad We are labeled "content farm," and until such times as the 500,000 pages of spam and quack medical advice are removed - we are going to remain labeled content farm, no many how many RSS feeds Ryan removes. lol

1. lakeerieartists profile image63
          lakeerieartistsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What, you DON'T think Ryan was the problem?! tongue

big_smile

Nope. The 7,000 pages with "mesothelioma" on them might be though. wink Not that I am advocating a witch hunt.

1. White Teeth profile image60
              White Teethposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Someone the other day was insisting that FOREX was the real spam problem...

2. frogdropping profile image77
          frogdroppingposted 13 years agoin reply to this

sad

Ryan - I've edited, not all, some. Probably half. 

I haven't time to analyse what's what etc but for the record my traffic has increased ever so slightly, nothing else has increased alongside it. US traffic remains largely banished.

The one hub that I'd bothered to backlink in and among ages ago has shot up, both in views, earnings and the serps. I think that's a sign.

3. profile image0

I'm not removing RSS feeds for the advantage of the wider site. You and Sunforged have already suggested that Hubpages internal links may have been devalued.

If that is the case then I don't want my Hubpages to link to 15 hubs, I want them to pass what little authority they have left to a very select group of Hubpages. If hubpages are now standing on their own merits, then that is the game that I am playing.

I especially don't want them to link to my 3 completely irrelevant 'latest hubs', when that backlink is only going to be a temporary one anyway.

You can laugh at that if you want, but that sounds like general logic to me. I am optimising my internal linking, that is standard SEO theory. I am also reducing page links, that is basic ad optimisation.

You should listen to Misha instead Ryan. wink

1. profile image0

I have listed to Misha. He said that he has nothing against what I am doing and that my upsurge in traffic is unlikely to have anything to do with my changes. Fine, taken on board.

You, Misha and Sunforged have effectively said that backlinks need to be built, as pages are more likely to be standing up on their own merits. Probably because internal links have been devalued. My best linked, mature, Hubpages have held up better than my entirely non-linked hubpages. As a result, I also subscribe to this theory.

If that is the theory that you subscribe to, that we need to prop up hubs with new backlinks, then I want my Internal linking patterns to best make use of my external incoming backlinks.

That is 100% relevant to the theory that you subscribe to. Both you and Misha have advocated building up backlinks. If I am going to go and grab PR5 backlinks to my hubpages then I don't want them being passed on entirely diluted to 20 hubpages, half of which are irrelevant.

That is not illogical. Don't assume that I have extensively analysed my own portfolio, I have spent 3 weeks considering my move, and now I am making it. It may come off, it may flop, but I feel that I am making the move having extensively reflected and considered my options.

No. What is illogical is to think 1) that you can promote 700 odd pages. I have picked the 10 pages I want to promote - they were already well optimized in any case and 2) whether you accept it or not - all of your pages have at least 60 dofollow outgoing links on them which you have absolutely no control over (more depending how many tags you have) - so dropping 2 or 3 here or there is highly unlikely to make any difference at all. wink

But I guess it is better than praying. lol

1. profile image0

I don't want to promote 700 hubpages, which is why I am reducing the numbers of internal links, to point them to the ones that I do wish to promote. Of course, 200 of my hubs are entirely unaffected, so don't need to be promoted at all. I will also finish with less than 700 hubpages, seeing as I will be deleting a fair few hubs. Those which have never, ever, won traffic and aren't worth promoting. 

Some of those other DoFollow backlinks can be yours if you play it right, I have hubs which show all five related hubs as mine. Another reason to manipulate internal linking, seeing as tags are adopted by your linked hubs.

If I can effectively drive more traffic to high paying niches through internal links and through the related hubs box, at the expense of my completely useless low value hubs then I will.

There are other factors too, I want my articles to finish my my keywords, not with some irrelevant news headline or with the summary text of a completely unrelated 'latest hub'.

Maybe reducing my tags is a distinct possibility, on those hubs which do not currently benefit from large amounts of Internal traffic. If I am not seeing traffic coming through related hubs then maybe I only need one or two tags - those which will anchor my hubs to my own hubs in the related section.

Whichever way it is looked at, my CTR is going to improve, my page leaks are going to be reduced. And that alone makes it worth it.

And yes, it is better than praying, but then so is most things lol

Anyway, Coffee break, I have a new coffee machine and haven't used it enough wink

1. profile image0

Of course, you only have to look at your own hubs.

On your hubpage Best Rated iPhone Bluetooth Headsets You do not have an RSS feed at all.

Why is that Mark? wink

2. profile image0

A new Hubpage has been known to index within an hour or two, can drop off of the face of the earth within 36 hours, and can be back on the front page within 72 hours. At least, they were at one stage in the past.

I see no reason why an edited hub can't be picked up within an hour either. I can guarentee that over the past 48 hours I have seen Hubpages move up the SERPS.

The question is whether they stay there or drop off of the face of the earth again. It may well be the case that search engines don't often act that fast, but they are certainly reacting to something.

I have been giving some of my edited hubs a nice backlink or a little ping too, to encourage the Google crawlers. But, as we have seen before, a ping can give a very temporary boost.

3. Spacey Gracey profile image39
      Spacey Graceyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sigh of relief as yesterday I spent two hours farting about...sorry I mean carefully re-editing ... a ton of hubs, only to see google.com traffic drop yet again.

10. Misha profile image64
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

Absolutely Ryan, I don;t have anything against what you are doing, just was pointing out it is unlikely to be the cause of the rise you are seeing smile

11. lakeerieartists profile image63
    lakeerieartistsposted 13 years ago

No, I am not saying you shouldn't do what is best for your own hubs, but that people in general that have written well planned hubs should not change everything based on your experimentation.  That's all.

When I add links to a hub, through a feed, internally or a link capsule, they are all planned to be there to drive traffic to a related hub of mine to keep people on my hubs longer. Or they can go out through an Amazon or Ebay capsule for more specific searches.

Changing that will not improve Google traffic nor will it improve my sales.  Those have dropped off due to outside factors, not due to the way I wrote or the layout of my hubs.

What I meant by raping and pillaging is that I do not advise everyone to blindly go and make huge changes to hubs that have been successful in the past just because the traffic is lower now.  There may be better solutions if we give the Hubpages team the chance to research them.

But I do think that going back and improving older hubs while this is going on is a good idea.  Certainly we have all learned to be better hubbers the longer that we have been on the site.

1. profile image0

OK cool, well I don't want people going out and copying my experiment either smile

Like I said, I don't want to be responsible for it going wrong. I just wanted to share.

If Hubpages come back and say "you should do this" and I have done the opposite, then I will take their word and go back and fix it.

But, I am happy with the way my hubs are changing (personal taste of course). We all know our own portfolios better than anybody else smile

12. Daniel Carter profile image61
    Daniel Carterposted 13 years ago

I'm rather slow at all this stuff, don't have ebay and amazon capsules in my hubs (except one or two) and haven't modified my hubs much. They didn't get flagged so I didn't worry. The G algo caused a huge nose dive in traffic, but I see as of a day or two ago and this morning that traffic is up again rather significantly in most cases.

Many here would know better than me, but it appears that things are starting to balance out again. I've focused on original content and have never tried a 30 day hub challenge since I do a lot of other things besides write hubs. So I work slower than others. But it seems that being focused on valuable content and good writing does pay off. As I learn more, I'll apply what I learn.

13. Pandoras Box profile image61
    Pandoras Boxposted 13 years ago

Everything Ryan says makes sense to me. As does everything Misha and Mark say.

Having said as much, I just thought I'd comment, that I have done nothing to my hubs since the big g algo change. I was working elsewhere, and figured I may as well remain so until things cooled off here. Plus I was out of town for a few days and my cat died. Your commiseration and sympathies are taken for granted, duly noted and appropriately appreciated. He was a good cat.

Anyways, my traffic started to gain back ground on the 4th, and more significantly so after the 8th. I initially suffered about a 40% loss of traffic, but my amazon sales decreased by only about 20-25%. Most of my HP amazon sales come from a handful of hubs, and it seems that the best of those held up alright. My adsense CTR initially fell, but has returned. The RPM or eCPM --which is really the only one I pay much attention to anymore -- is also rebounding.

So my overall point is that I too noticed improvements lately, over the last week or 10 days, and I have done absolutely nothing to my hubs. My traffic is almost back to 'normal' though obviously ground has been lost, and my earnings appear to be following.

Right now, it looks as though the algo change is going to end up nothing more than a slight dip in my overall line graphs. It's actually looking no worse than my mid-January dip, though it lasted a couple days longer, and while it lasted it put me back to November earning rates, which was something I expected to happen after the holidays anyway.

Of course, my input isn't worth much. I have less than 70 hubs, I'd guess, maybe 80, the vast majority of which never performed anyway. Of course you guys with much bigger portfolios would have different results.

1. profile image0

What Mark fails to acknowledge is that I am only preaching what Mark and Misha already practice.

I am only removing RSS feeds and news feeds, both which are already non-existant on their hubs, and only curtailing irrelevant internal linking and carefully interlinking relevant high value hubs, something which they also already practice.

If you have been linking to irrelevant pages - sure lose those links. I agree they are unnecessary. So are the RSS feeds usually. And no - I don't do that for the reasons you mention. I just don't think it will make a great deal of difference. You must surely be realizing that we have seen a paradigm shift? You were quite happy with the pages before - weren't you?

1. profile image0

Yes, we are f*cked, and none of us have control over that. There are 25 people in San Francisco who may have though, let's see, no rush at this end.

The only reason that I am going through my Hubpages right now is to:

a) reduce page leaks
          b) reduce/change internal links
          c) make sure that my Amazon capsules have something in them

My increase in Google.com traffic was only something that I noticed as a side note.

After my entire portfolio has been done, I am compliant with the Hubpages TOS and I have tidyed up my hubs... that is it.

I am preparing my portfolio to be left alone unattended. I am not hanging around on Hubpages for months waiting for a recovery.

I am preparing for a departure, my portfolio left in an acceptable state, maybe to get traffic again someday. If it weren't for the need to change 200 of my hubs anyway I wouldn't have bothered.

I will be working exclusively on my own sites, until or unless AdSense stats show me that my Hubpages are worth my attention again.

Think of it as making sure that the gas and all plug switches are turned off, and that all the windows are locked, before going away travelling indefinitely. wink If something exciting happens in two months time, I will return from travelling early. If not much changes I might decide that I prefer the warmer weather.

I hope you can understand why I am making this effort now, as it will be the last expended on Hubpages for some time. If things start recovering at any stage then my hubs are sitting there ready to rise again with the site. If it doesn't rise again, at least they are converting what little traffic they do get as well as possible.

Some of my hubs have also been saved as offline files, as I have gone along. There you go, a full awareness of the current environment wink

Believe it or not, I still haven't made that coffee lol

Then why make a hooha over it?

Don't forget to lock the door behind you on your way out. I will miss seeing you around, but I am not giving up just yet. I know what the issue is and I have expended too much effort on some of my portfolio to walk away from it.

1. profile image0

I'm not making a hooha out of it, all I have said is that my Google.com traffic has risen, it may have something to do with changes that I have made. Misha and you rubbished that idea, I accepted that it may not be related, the end.

You misunderstood my analogy I think. I am getting my house in order, to maintain my current portfolio, so that I can concentrate on my own sites and await the rise. I am backlinking, but that is all. I do have to spend much less time here, without doing so I cannot diversify. I am leaving the house unattended for a while, perhaps that sounds a little better?

Sometimes people need a spring clean, I didn't want to leave the washing up to fester. Sorry if this thread has offended you in any way, I just got a little excited about my traffic stats.

If I were giving up on Hubpages I would be deleting my content. The only content that I am deleting is not worthy of publication. Think of it as a career break. Is that better?

I am not offended. Good for you going off and promoting your content - that is the only answer. I am spending less time here as well. I am busy bringing all my hubs in line with the new rules and hoping this does not mess with their conversions even further. I personally do not think this is the problem.

1. profile image0

Well it sounds like we have the same plan smile

I have to organise my time, basically I need to finish a new site, because the only efficient way to diversify and recover on Hubpages is to promote both at the same time. In other words backlinking both in the same places.

Thus, publishing and forum activity will be limited for some time, probably a few months. No flounce, no mass deletion, just pure hard work.

2. profile image0

Feel free to use Excerptz as a platform from which to submit a coherent article or two, I would be happy to recieve thousands of low quality backlinks wink

I will get my Filipinos on it right away. big_smile

2. profile image0

Feel free to let me know what the issue is, and how it can be fixed, because that is more optimistic than you have been recently.

If it involves the mass deletion of certain 'genres' of content, then the same applies, nothing that me or you can do about that.

14. profile image0

For anybody doubting the validity of my claim, here is a custom report for unique US traffic. When that updates to show the 16th it should show a further slight upward curve if traffic for today is maintained.

http://hubpages.com/u/4779126.jpg

1. brandonhart100 profile image76
      brandonhart100posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Your whole experiment is interesting because you are effectively doing what I have been thinking of doing for the last week (especially on the RSS feed).

1. profile image0

I did a whole lot of reading, found lots of conflicting views on all four corners of the web, did a fair bit of reflection... and.... I still didn't know whether to remove RSS feeds.

And then I just figured that they were pointless anyway and made my hubs look ugly. When I was getting circa 27000 views per day, the "latest hubs" thing was perhaps sending 25 views per day to my latest hub.

Thus, completely pointless. Unless I was to write a hubpage on Mesothelioma and leave it for a month.

31 x 25 = 775 page views. Even then it wouldn't convert well. So what did it offer? Maybe the fresh content thing, but there are other things on the page which move about. The facebook widget being a good example, then there is comments, and then there is the question "do you really need an RSS feed to rank?" in my opinion you don't, I was seeing static pages ranking pre-slap and am seeing static pages ranking post-slap.

So, I went ahead and deleted them. The benefits of having them are small, it detracts from the content, and as such I thought I would remove and see. The same with news capsules.

We will see what happens.

1. brandonhart100 profile image76
          brandonhart100posted 13 years agoin reply to this

It also could be seen as self promotion.  I'm not sure whether it's that or the copied material from other hubs that ends up there that's the problem.  Either way, I think what you are doing is going in the right direction. 

People that have similar keyword driven product hubs (that have beaten me) have very much followed the format you are suggesting...

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
          Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have RSS feeds on my Hubs, but they're always either to my own Hubs on the same subject, or to one of my websites on the same subject. 

Is that OK or do you think there's something negative about RSS feeds per se?

And what about all of us who have RSS feeds for contests, HubMob, 60DC etc - if we remove them, then we're breaking the agreement we had with other Hubbers.  If we all agree RSS feeds are a 'bad thing' then maybe we should all agree to do that - what do you think?

1. profile image0

Oh dear, I wanted to avoid this, because I don't want to give bad advice and then be held responsible. And, it's still early days, I think that its best if you await the formal Hubpages position. I am still monitoring hubs over a longer period, I will keep people updated though, if I find that traffic gains are sustained. Because right now it could be a coincidence, I have had bumper Tuesdays and Wednesdays before, they are often busy days online; that could be what I am primarily seeing.

The few SERPS improvements that I have seen could be unrelated too. I guess that only time will tell.

All of my RSS feeds were "latest hubs" feeds, and as such the content was generally entirely irrelevant. Before removing them I could write a hubpage about sprouts, there would very little benefit to having a hub about sprouts appear on my hubs about laptop coolers, ipad sleeves, facebook or google keywords.

As a result I saw them as pointless, and any traffic which they would generate would generally be non-prime traffic which would not convert. I would rather keep them on the page that they sought out via Google, or alternatively drive them to another highly relevant page. It would probably lower the user experience having a hub about sprouts, a hub about keywords and a hub about digital bathroom scales appear at the bottom of a sales page for iPad sleeves. For example.

An Rss feed of purely iPad related stuff wouldn't have that effect on the user, but is it achieving anything that a link capsule can't? I don't write link descriptions, but if you do want those then you can tailor them and thus reduce duplicate content ratios I suppose.

With news capsules, these are just a page leak full stop. If your RSS feed is leading people to your own highly relevant hubs then I guess that the movement of traffic will be more beneficial than the traffic that I saw via the latest hubs capsule.

But, if the RSS feed is solely leading to your own hubs, then it would perhaps be beneficial for you to instead create a link capsule with custom summaries?

As for leading people to other hubbers hubs, that is up to you. Call me selfish but I don't do that very often, and when I do I use a referral tracker for my 10%. If using an RSS feed you lose out on that 10%.

I couldn't possibly comment on HubMob, 60DC etc, but if you have an agreement then you have an agreement. I still strongly advise that you await the official Hubpages line.

To be honest, I suspect that the biggest benefit will be to my CTR rather than SERPS, so I am just trying to maximise the number of clickthroughs on my own pages.

One thing is for certain though, I am not sending any more free traffic to Rupert Murdoch and Co through Google news capsules, they get enough of it as it is and they aren't sending any our way!

2. sunforged profile image71
            sunforgedposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This is a hubnews feed as a bot would see it:

You will also see that hubs uses the yahoo api

Rss here

RSS as most hubbers use it is probably the least likely to be causing any issues as it is merely duplicating/linking out to a very small part of the net - a single blog or some organization within hubs.

(theory)
            But newsfeeds, and at a smaller scale amazon and ebay feeds are recreating content and phrases that are seen at hundreds if not hundreds of thousands of locations.

If any of the above feeds are counted towards some sort of uniqueness factor .. a 500 word hub of unique text - with a newsfeed with 20 words and 5 links (100ish words) and a few amazon or ebay capsules could quickly become more massively syndicated content than unique!

Just a random observation - as ryan uses rss, i would never have done that - a nice anchored and relevant in topic text link is far more beneficial to the user and for keeping a viewer on your micro-site within hubpages before they leave.. which is precisely why I never suggested the method when we were doing rss related activities in hubpages although some spin offs resulted sad that were a bit half baked.

but as for hubmob/contest or even the 60dc rss, that small function should broadcast words that exists at a much smaller scale and should be absolutely meaningless either way.. on the house of cards that is hubs, that use of rss is no more than a post it note

there was a time when I would commonly see longtails in analytic from newsfeeds, i have to admit its been awhile since one has caught my eye in my personal stats.. i think there usefulness may gone the way of the dinosaur .. disregarding seo values assumed, even teh content is overloaded with marketers using prweb and prblasting softwares, you may actually be linking to spam when you use newsfeeds nowadays

1. profile image0

Your big long post seems to have vanished hmm

1. sunforged profile image71

yes, just like my adsense wink

1. profile image0

hehe, join the club, we can all be skint together.

And how happy I was to see every small content farm slapped today, it makes me feel so optimistic about the future of my new site lol

looks like i will be heating my apartment with incandescent light bulbs and wearing polar bear furs to stay warm, they can either evolve some thumbs or dress up my bedroom - im skint

15. Eaglekiwi profile image76
    Eaglekiwiposted 13 years ago

Ok real quick and no smart arse comments please lol

If linking to other hubs is a waste of time ,whats the use of the Hubkarma initiative?.

Mine is high due to linking to anything that basically walks -haha, but if it takes them off my pages ,its a waste of time -right?

I just got an email this morning for a couple of Hubs that needed tweeking,so Im off to figure out Analytics.
    It is tracking one of my hubs ,but not all? hmm..

1. profile image0

No idea kiwi to be honest hmm sounds strange!

1. Eaglekiwi profile image76
        Eaglekiwiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks anyway.

I obviously posted one code ok, oh well might start again.

Cheers.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86

That's what people like Darkside have been saying, ever since HubKarma was introduced.  Several of the top Hubbers ignore it. 

Basically, it's good to link to other Hubs which add real value to the information you're offering - but if you're linking to "anything that walks" just to get your HubKarma up, you're harming your Hubs.

HubKarma was introduced to improve interlinking within HubPages as a whole, but I think they made it too hard to get a good score - it's caused a lot of people to link for the sake of linking, and that's a bad thing.

1. Eaglekiwi profile image76
        Eaglekiwiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Gotcha

Of course I didnt quite link that spasmodically, lol.

Yep in hindsight common sense huh.

Thankyou.

2. profile image0
        BenjaminBposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I see so many new hubbers thinking it will benefit them to link link link away to other peoples hubs. I even went so far as to leave it in a comment on one guys hub who was using his main targeted keyword to link to 15 other hubs in what was only a 400 or so word hub. I felt like saying why waste time writing hubs just go to the pawn shop buy a nice gun and shoot yourself in the foot smile

1. Marisa Wright profile image86

Yes, Benjamin, I agree! The HubPages team have said you're meant to be judicious and only link to Hubs which add value to your own Hub - but it's human nature to want to go for a "good score", and it takes a lot of links to get your HubKarma up, so naturally some people are going to overdo it.

16. Joy56 profile image67
    Joy56posted 13 years ago

I'm loving it..... Go Ryan Go .....

Have you had your coffee yet?????

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/4774836_f248.jpg

17. Tina Kachan profile image61
    Tina Kachanposted 13 years ago

Damn, you all sound so smart... Everytime I come to the forum and read your posts I feel stupid big_smile

1. Misha profile image64
      Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

LOL Tina, don't sweat it, I still feel stupid pretty often, and this is after five years working online. smile

1. profile image0

And I just had two very stupid moments in one thread, didn't I misha lol

1. Tina Kachan profile image61
          Tina Kachanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thank you guys, I feel much better now lol

1. lakeerieartists profile image63
            lakeerieartistsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Can only learn by doing.  No reason to feel stupid.  Just human.  wink

You`re right wink Always tried to learn on the mistakes of other, one of the reasons why I lurk around the forums so much, but every now and then I get an information overload smile

But enough about me, let`s get back to Ryan`s traffic rise big_smile

1. profile image0

*grabs his information shovel and packs a couple more pounds in Tina's ear* smile

Well thank you Benjamin very much, I appreciate that tongue

1. profile image0

Anytime Tina I love to add to peoples stress,it's my specialty lmao tongue

18. profile image0
    BenjaminBposted 13 years ago

My traffic ,which to begin with was meager in comparison to many of you, started to pick back up a tad 2 days ago and today has jumped up to normal levels that I had been getting before the Google changes. Overall I am still down 80% on earnings this month which I had anticipated as being a month where I would see my progress continue before Google Gate took effect.I did some slight tweaking on some of my hubs and removed the news feed off all of the ones I was implementing it on (had read in a few spots here in the forums that this might be having the reverse affect of looking fresh and might get your hub classified as a syndicated news site which would affect your rankings for intended targeted keyword)I'm definitely feeling a little more optimistic than this time last week smile

19. Richieb799 profile image74
    Richieb799posted 13 years ago

My traffic has been the best it has been for a long time, very high but the CTR is like you say, a different story..also the CPM is odd as well, one minute high earning clicks, the next low! lets hope HP has gets a hold of this ad layout thing and has it under control

20. profile image0

Forget all that nonsense Sunforged, you missed my rant on the lightbulb thread! That is my best forum input in at least two weeks!

I had to doublecheck something, i copied some code wrong.

and I just got back from reading the lightbulb post and was intrigued.

subsidized light bulbs of one variety kind of kills the better alternative of led.. too bad. You really think incanlight bulbs are giving off that level of heat? I mean, im sure it adds up and all but its noticeable?

1. profile image0

An average of 2 degrees celcius. If your heating is run by a thermostat, then that is significant smile

1. profile image0

I live in a basement with no heat been on average 40-45 degrees all winter. I need more incandescent bulbs lol.

21. Mikeydoes profile image44
    Mikeydoesposted 13 years ago

Man I really need to tidy up my hubs and improve them dramatically. And maybe make some good ones, lol.

1. profile image0

No Mikey don't believe the hype making good Hubs gets you nowhere lmao tongue

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)