Improvement In Hub Ranking

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (33 posts)
  1. hassam profile image72
    hassamposted 15 years ago

How should I improve the rankings of my hubs that have slipped down in google rankings?......can any one help?

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
      Mark Knowlesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

This question is rather vague. Can you be more specific? And there are outside factors involved, particularly if you are targeting a competitive keyword or phrase.

2. relache profile image66
    relacheposted 15 years ago

Here are my theories and ideas, How to Improve Your HubScore

1. Ryan Hupfer profile image61
      Ryan Hupferposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Hassan - there's definitely some great advice in that Hub...check it out and let us know what you think. How is your traffic looking for the Hubs?

hassamposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the link relache. Actually I was talking about improvement of google ranking. Recently I saw some of my hubs slip down in google ranking, I don't know what to do. So if any one of the experienced hubbers could help please give some tips.

and Ryan if you read my my profile name a bit carefully then you might have noticed that the name is "hassam" not "hassan" ,anyways thanks for the reply.

Sorry, hassam...don't take it personally, I've got the eyes of a 75 year-old.

Ryam - it is the glasses big_smile

You've got sone sharp 75 year old eyes cool

2. relache profile image66
          relacheposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I've always felt that any improvements in the content of a hub will boost both internal or external rankings, which was why I offered that link.

3. hassam profile image72
    hassamposted 15 years ago

Mark, actually my best hub that has slipped so far is about 'windows xp password retrieval' initially it was on the main page now it has slipped down a bit, it may be getting competion from some place but I don't know how to bring it to the main page.

I actually blogged some of the text of the hub on my blogger blog, could that be a factor?

I don't know much about that subject, but there seems an awful lot of competition for it. When I do a search for that I get this:
      http://www.google.com/search?hl=en& … 0&sa=N

And I do not see your hub.

From my own experience, hubs get a quick boost early on after publication because of hubpages authority, and then it is the law of the jungle after that. i.e. the page with the most high-quality incoming links and traffic wins.

I would say you need more incoming links. You only have 60 inbound links - all of which are from hubpages:

https://siteexplorer.search.yahoo.com/a … amp;bwms=p

Whereas, the first result on google has 6,600 inlinks:

https://siteexplorer.search.yahoo.com/a … xplore+URL

That is the general problem I am facing, some of the hubs just remain on the main page for only a few weeks and then disappear. Misha is right its not just about writing good content you need to do some extra promotion.

Now how do I get some in links, which you mentioned for my hubs????? Do I need to do some bookmarking????

4. Maddie Ruud profile image71
    Maddie Ruudposted 15 years ago

It's okay, Hassam.  If you poke around, you'll see I regularly get called "Maggie" and even "Maude."

5. Misha profile image65
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

Wow Mark! It's an impressive shift from "just write more and better content" stance you used to promote. wink

Dare I think we might see a similar evolution in the other question you seem to be rather stiff about? tongue

lol

No. I will stick by paying good writers good money for what they write smile

But - I am also a realist. If you have 2 well written pages on a similar topic, the one with the most attention gets the better rankings.

As I mentioned to you earlier, I got my first incoming link from wikipedia recently - organically. I wrote good content and it was linked to because it is different to all the other rubbish out there.

But in this case, hassam is writing basically the same thing about 50,000 other people are writing.

So he needs some incoming links. smile

Organically by writing good content or otherwise.

6. Misha profile image65
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

LOL Sure, I was mostly teasing you tongue

Nobody in his right mind would deny importance of the quality content - and its pleasing to see that you came to recognize that backlinks have their role, too smile

Yes they do smile But - if you write good content in the first place, you can get them for free smile

As I do most of the time. But - much as I hate to say it, buying them or generating them helps too sad

Now how about paying more than $1 for 300 words? lol

7. Misha profile image65
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

LOL I never offered such a price, I don't know where Jenny and you found that number. If you are not too lazy, find my original thread on this - I was offering 1 cent a word, which translates into $3 for 300 words tongue

8. Mark Knowles profile image59
    Mark Knowlesposted 15 years ago

Misha is the expert on that smile

To a major extent, I write what I think is good content and the links come naturally, but I am coming around to the idea of helping that process along to speed things up a little.

I have about 20 blogs that I use - wordpress.com, wordpress.org, blogger, yahoo 360, stumbleupon etc. Some of these blogs now have their own page rank, but they need maintenance and original content of their own to be of any value. I also exchange links with people.

The other thing to consider is that this hub has been penalized by the search engines. I cannot find it other than the vicarious digg reference. I have a few like that and nothing I have done has helped them. sad

Hubpages says they have no idea why this would happen, and I do not know how to fix this if this is the problem. I have moved on and written those hubs off.

Ok, Mark Thanks a lot for your interest. I am still experimenting a lot of things on the internet and may be some day things would start to work for me, till then it's all upto hubpages.

9. SunSeven profile image59
    SunSevenposted 15 years ago

Good original content + the right amount of promotion in the right places

There are times when content is not king
    and there are times when no amount of promotion can brighten things up.

smile

10. knslms profile image65
    knslmsposted 15 years ago

I'm far from an expert on this subject, but did you try changing the content up a little? Maybe adding some or just changing it a little? I have always heard that google ranks on how often a page is updated.

Thanks for the tip, currently thats what I am trying by not publishing any more hubs instead updating my current hubs. May be that would improve things a bit.

1. profile image0
        shinujohn2008posted 15 years agoin reply to this

That will be a great mistake and foolish thing you can do, if you don't publish anything for long.

Many people here publish hubs and after 1 month they will say that their traffic to those hubs have decreased. Do you expect people to read the same thing every month. Give them newer things,make hubs on popular topics getting examples from google trends and yahoo buzz.

After u make a hub and bookmark them in other websites,leave them to their own. Do not expect them to make huge traffic for Life Time. just concentrate on newer hubs so that your scores won't get affected.

1. Paraglider profile image89
          Paragliderposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I agree with Shinujohn that it's better to keep producing new ones, but something that is worth doing is optimising the title and summary text of your older ones. A newspaper style headline title will grab you readers among hubbers when first published, but you should be thinking about a searchable title that non-hubbers will find, through Google etc. Then, whether or not they open the page will often depend on the summary text.  I've revitalised a few moribund hubs that way.

Great advice, Paraglider - the title is very, very important and should be as search friendly as possible. I usually think about what I would actually type into Google if you wanted to find the content that you wrote about in your Hub.

11. TravelAMP profile image60
    TravelAMPposted 15 years ago

This is really informative. Thanks for the question, I learned a lot from this.

1. profile image0
      shinujohn2008posted 15 years agoin reply to this

Yes we learn new things every day

12. britneydavidson profile image62
    britneydavidsonposted 15 years ago

Yes I agree this is the game of the content and promotion. Good Content makes promotion a lot easier.

13. GoldenThread profile image59
    GoldenThreadposted 15 years ago

It all depending on "timeliness".. social bookmarking/tag pages are almost instantly indexed, but fade quickly. Blog posts, videos and hub-pages are quickly indexed, but last only slightly longer.

So what extends your time at the top of the search engines? Quality, original content with lots of on-topic links from reputable websites.

14. CarpetDiem profile image69
    CarpetDiemposted 15 years ago

There is some valuable information in this thread, for those that read it...
    Mark, I'm kind of surprised that you disclosed on of your promotion secrets. But then again, it sounds like it involves a lot of hard work and patience, so you probably don't have to worry about a competitor copying you. Have you been able to see if your strategy works, and any idea how long it takes to have a measurable effect? Steve

15. CarpetDiem profile image69

Hi Hassam,
    First, just let me say, 255 hubs is a lot of hubs! Wow. I only have 254 to write and I'll catch up with you. I did a search for 'windows xp password retrieval' on google and the competition is tough! My guess is that you're competing with websites and articles that have been around almost as long as XP, which is several years, and probably have lots of links. Your hub looks to be about 3 months old? I'm guessing that you benefited initially from a "freshness/newness" bounce, but now the old established sites are beating you. If your only links are from hubpages, I would think you would need to build links from other (Windows XP) authority sites, which will probably be a lot of work. Steve

16. CarpetDiem profile image69

Hi Hassam,
    Just one more thing. I did a search here on hubpages for 'windows xp password retrieval' and there are three results, but not your hub? Don't know what to make of that...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)