Content is the king - really?

Jump to Last Post 1-25 of 25 discussions (49 posts)
  1. C.V.Rajan profile image60
    C.V.Rajanposted 14 years ago

Think of this.

People say, content is the king in Hubs (or anywhere where you write articles and aim to get Adsense revenue).

If I write a good article containing rich info on the subject, people will read it, get the info they wanted, appreciate it and go away.

But if I write a "keyword" rich article that can attract search engine ranking but if the article contains very little useful info, then people will look at the google ads adjacent to my article to seek better info, click it and move away, giving me a few pennies in the bargain. That's what we write for. Right?

So, content is not the king! What do you say?!

1. Ultimate Hubber profile image71
      Ultimate Hubberposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Despite writing a keyword rich copy, you will lose your search engine rankings, because more people will press back button than the ones who will click the ads and this can sometimes lead to a site or a page totally vanishing from the SERPs.

2. rebekahELLE profile image86
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I say content is king if you want good referrals, google will keep you at the top.

evergreen content that can always be searched.

1. yoshi97 profile image55
        yoshi97posted 14 years agoin reply to this

As Google measures time on site as well as hits, how you pull people in and hold their attention work strongly into how high you place on Google. If you are on page 153, you won't get any hits ... regardless of how many keywords you have in your document.

You need the keywords to get your initial ranking and you need good content to keep that ranking.

Here's a fine example ...

When I type 'great hook' without the quotes in Google I find my page is number one. Now, I need to tell you that I created no backlinks, I did not keyword research, and I allowed it to place where it wanted to ... number 1 out of 51,000,000 pages.

Does this page make me any money? Not really. Why? Because the topic doesn't sell anything ... except for maybe a book on writing.

The number one mistake writers for adsense make is when they write about topics that can never be identified with a product.

In fact, the best thing an author can do when picking a keyword is check to see what ads will show up for it and decide if they are marketable ... they can even slant the article toward the focus of the ads.

For example, if a keyword phrase on fishing lures presents a lot of ads on fishing in Canada, then one might pepper the article with information on using fishing lures to fish in Canada's lakes and streams.

You silently set the hook that fly fishing in Canada could be fun and hope the reader connects the dots and clicks the Canada fishing ads. That's how you work your content to sell your ads without violating any of Google's rules.

And how does one check for such ads? Glad you asked ... Here's an example for fishing lures:

ttp://www.google.com/sponsoredlinks?&q="fishing+lures"

Now, all you need to do is substitute your keyword phrase for the word fishing lures, being certain to substitute each space with a plus sign(+). Here's an example for ads dealing with canadian fishing:

ttp//www.google.com/sponsoredlinks?&q="canadian+fishing"

And yet another one for cabins in canada:

ttp://www.google.com/sponsoredlinks?&q="fishing+in+canada"

If you get no results, then there are no adsense ads for your keyword phrase, which equates to no money to be had. Also, if there are only a handful of ads, then you can assume the keyword doesn't monetize well. If it did, more advertisers would compete for it. smile

For each example type http instead of ttp at the beginning ... If I type it differently it ruins the example. smile

1. sunforged profile image71
          sunforgedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Just because this is so good, it should be stickied

Much of what you, Darkside, and Relache say on the forums should be stickied ... My stuff is just taking what you guys and gals taught me and advancing it in speakease for the rest of us. smile

1. Laura du Toit profile image75
              Laura du Toitposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree. The forums are very informative and you get a variety of opinions on a subject from successful hubbers. Thanks to those that are so willing to share their knowledge. smile

3. andromida profile image56
      andromidaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You have a very good point and thanks for sharing. But before doing so we need to decide why we write. Some write for fun while some are looking for a sale or a adsense click and targeting the relevant keywords to make money.The key is the intention of the hubs. It is also true that if your contents are poor then it wouldn't do well at all in google ranking,so you may loose organic traffic from google,who are the potential traffic likely to make a click on your hubs.

4. wsp2469 profile image60
      wsp2469posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I say you made a good point.
      I say you have to decide if you want to be a good writer or a good advertiser.
      Finally, i don't sweat this place.  I just have fun.
      the score here have little to do with the quality of your writing.
      I dropped from an 89 in the past month or so simly because some people didn't like what i said here in the forums and turned me in to admin who bulk flagged my hubs/took them off the air because I did not know what kind of pictures you could get away with posting and what you couldn't.
      Bottom line is you are correct.

5. Karina S. profile image59
      Karina S.posted 14 years agoin reply to this

what if you do both: some article for content some for ads?

6. aware profile image68
      awareposted 14 years agoin reply to this

what does it say about anyone in it for the money? the content is a price tag?in it for the money is a after thought i think. i love my trade. but when it became a job . its luster quickly fades.

7. itech profile image65
      itechposted 14 years agoin reply to this

u want money or trust,
      Trust can lead sometimes u to such a place in future where you can earn a minimum of 50$ a day & Money always makes u remain where you were presently or a slow upgrade to trust.

2. SandyMcCollum profile image61
    SandyMcCollumposted 14 years ago

Hi CV,
    I think it's better to  provide good content and hope the reader clicks an ad he likes AFTER reading my articles. If you post keyword-rich useless pieces to make the ad money, you will ruin any reputation as a writer you may have built. And, there are other places to write, so I use my hubs as example pieces, too. Besides, what if they just click the "back" button all the time? I guess it depends on what you're in it for. Just MHO.

3. Dame Scribe profile image58
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

Well, little content means less,limited and less focused ads too hmm don't think everybody will find the info specific to their query or the ads. Content provides room for text ads too not just adsense. big_smile

4. C.V.Rajan profile image60

Sandy,

Honestly I am incapable of writing useless pieces (I mean, useless in MY opinion!) but this is just a thought. Perhaps the content need not be useless, but could be "too less informative".

Sometimes, when I read some articles of others, I really feel that way. Perhaps it was a strategy?!

5. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

That is a strong technique for adsense earnings, i.e. keyword rich, poor content , proper ad placement= clicks

But truly good information and writing leads to more actual people sharing your work with friends, bookmarking, referencing and linking which can lead to stronger traffic base and rankings in the long term.

Personally, i write for the long term and look forward to years of earnings

SO content is king for longevity...but as you have noticed good content has very little to do with adsense earnings

1. profile image0
      BookFlameposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am continually astounded at the amount of crap that passes for content and yet gets high page rankings on Google and, presumably, generates high adsense earnings. These "article writers!"  Most from India, Pakistan, Eastern Europe . . . . who don't know a noun from a verb and get paid $1.00 for 10,000 words!  And people buy it from them and slop that stuff up on websites.  Surely the Apocalypse is near, or at least the apocalypse for the English language.

2. lrohner profile image68
      lrohnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I tend to agree. I'd rather have 1% of 5,000 people clicking my ads than 10% of 50 people! smile

6. C.V.Rajan profile image60

Sunforged,

I take your word.

Ahem!

If my income is any indication, well, I can claim myself (irrespective of my true worth!) that I am a "content-rich" writer smile

1. Hmrjmr1 profile image70
      Hmrjmr1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Not to worry lad you're not alone!

7. profile image0
    bloodnlatexposted 14 years ago

CV, this is the way I've gone about writing on here.  I write what I want and how I want.  That way, what I have in the end is something that I am proud of.  If it is of good quality and is useful, the people will come back to see what else you've done.  If you make a few bucks off of it, great.  Once you have a number of decent articles put together, start submitting bids for freelance writing jobs.  Use the articles you wrote here as your portfoilo.  You will make a lot more money from writing jobs than you will here.  But this is still a great place to continue to grew as a writer, and get feedback on your work.

1. profile image0
      bloodnlatexposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hub Pages is the ultimate writer's workshop/proving gorund.

2. profile image0
      lyricsingrayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I feel the same way Blood, thanks

8. wrenfrost56 profile image55
    wrenfrost56posted 14 years ago

I think content is king, hopefully if you write well and the reader enjoys yours work, they will want to read more of your hubs, maybe share it or bookmark it and return. Clicks are good but good writing is more important to me smile

9. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 14 years ago

I take that advice when starting a hub that says quality original content is a must for a good hub, read it each and every time and am probably being subtly brainwashed (needs a good wash too, way to dirty my brain lol)

I do write to earn and I suppose if I got frustrated I might try some crappy hub filled with keywords and broken sentences with no real interest but when I started getting a tad frustrated I came to these here forums. Folks told me not to even think about earnings until I had at least 100 hubs! Any earnings made with fewer hubs are impressive but often a fluke so just be patient. I took this advice and I figure whenever I get clicks its a compliment to my writing or a fluke, can't wait until I have 100 hubs or more! The thing is the patience has started to show results, older hubs are starting to be organically back linked and their hub scores are starting to crawl up in the numbers. I saw one of my hubs the other day hit 92 for a bit, whoo hoo! To help me keep patient I usually try to research new topics I might like to learn about/write about or reading other hubs to learn from and comment on and of course the ever popular forums wink

I think in the long term valuable content, informative or entertaining content is going to be the better earner and is likely to offer surprising opportunities even.

10. Rebecca E. profile image79
    Rebecca E.posted 14 years ago

I'll say this content is king if you are looking long term,

if you are looking for fast money and little subtance well, shall we say a 15 minute flash of fame?

My content rich hubs seem to be doing well, and the ones that weren't so content rich aren't.

11. rebekahELLE profile image86
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

"Now, all you need to do is substitute your keyword phrase for the word fishing lures, being certain to substitute each space with a plus sign(+). Here's an example for ads dealing with canadian fishing:"

YOSHI, what do you mean by the above, substituting each space with a plus sign?

BTW, your post is very helpful, thanks.

fishing lures should be typed as fishing+lures

I'll edit the three examples to make them more useful. smile

12. darkside profile image64
    darksideposted 14 years ago

I write to give the reader something of value.

When I search for information, I want to find something worth reading.

Content is king.

13. rebekahELLE profile image86
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

yes, so very helpful. sometimes in the forums, I feel like I am in class. so much learning. smile  thanks guys.

14. Elijah S profile image59
    Elijah Sposted 14 years ago

Writing extra long (and quality) articles also helps. Despite the good content, people get bored, or drift, and click on the ads.

1. profile image0
      R.G. San Ramonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This made me laugh!

15. Clara Ghomes profile image60
    Clara Ghomesposted 14 years ago

Yes, I do believe in the content. it is the real king and rest is illusion. Content must be rich when you do any post. If the content is not real and good the reade's will not find any interest and will simply leave in teh half way. So it indeed is the king!

16. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

I think it always pays (eventually and in different ways) to aim to produce the best unique content you can.  I think we just need to do our own thing, because that's what will get the best results for us (that and paying some attention to SEO and keywords, which I pretty much don't  roll ).  I have a mix of different types of Hubs, with some earners and others that don't particularly earn anything worth mentioning.  The ones people like best are usually the ones I do when I disregard any rules about "what a Hub is supposed to be" or "what makes a good online article", and just include whatever I think will pack a little punch.  It's worth mentioning, I think, that it can take a while for some non-earners to start earning; but after they're online for a while even they sometimes start earning.

17. profile image0
    pgrundyposted 14 years ago

Thanks to all the pros here who post such great advice for free. I learn so much here from other hubbers.

If I write an 'evergreen' content-rich hub it usually does well over time, but not always. Hubs with little content (political hubs, humor?} shouldn't earn as much but sometimes they do.

Predicting what will earn and what won't is nearly impossible for me, because I write about what interests me, for me.

If you want to make money, I think you HAVE to do both: content and marketing. I only do one (sort of) and so I only sort of make money. smile

18. CarpetDiem profile image71
    CarpetDiemposted 14 years ago

It really depends on what your purpose is...

That said, I always like to answer this question by saying, Yes, content is KING, and links are QUEEN, and we all know who really runs most households. smile
    You really need both...

Of course, again, it all depends on what your purpose is in the first place.

big_smile

19. AdsenseStrategies profile image63
    AdsenseStrategiesposted 14 years ago

What does it mean to make something sticky -- I saw a reference to that above...

20. Jason Menayan profile image59
    Jason Menayanposted 14 years ago

Community members:

Thank you for flagging that spam post.

If you don't mind, though, please do not quote the spam message in your reply; it just creates more work for us as we have to "clean up" every reply with the offending spam. (The spammers hope we won't bother with spam embedded in legitimate users' replies.)

Thank you!

21. Neil Ashworth profile image42
    Neil Ashworthposted 14 years ago

Content is king without a doubt and in Google's eyes your long term value will benefit from sunforged's advice on social bookmarking and your content being shared - if you stuff your article with keywords and poor content, yes you will gain in the short term but if you provide value which is read and bookmarked or shared socially, Google will begin to see your pages as authority and they will show more and more in search for related terms, thereby generating long term income from additional exposure.

I have written a set of articles about a particular business model which is heavily searched for by internet marketers and would-be home business owners - people very likely to click on adsense ads. Initially, my earnings from these hubs was relatively low but after a couple of months the set of 13 articles now generates around $50-$75 per month in adsense income - not huge but the income is growing and all these pages are 1,000 plus words, well researched and although correctly targeted with tags and url, not heavily done on keywords

Content is king for sure - its a long road to wealth but the only one with any real value...

(Great question by the way.)

22. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

There's always a current method of scamming google placement. Then google catches up and these sites get trounced. (Google Arbitrage is a good example of a failed method.)

As Google continues to learn to analyze grammar and word usage, poorly written sites with lousy grammer, poor vocabulary choices and artifical syntax will fail - guaranteed.

But then the scammers will move on to something else. It's the way of the web.

1. Neil Ashworth profile image42
      Neil Ashworthposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Very true - a lot of successful internet marketers who have developed their business using various "black hat" tactics are also running long term "white hat" strategies alongside, that way developing and growing a solid, stable business for the rainy day when Google catches up with them. It's a tough question to answer but given the option of massive traffic for a short period of time over long term stability which would you chose? or would you?

23. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

I prefer to give my followers something of value. I try to project a sense of life form of knowledge, that I want to impact them, so as to get them to talk about what they read.

The best form of advertising is word of mouth. That circle hunts year round and is never boring. People talk about things every single day and when they encounter 'content rich' writing, it forces them to step back and introspect. This is the greatest accomplishment a writer can hope for. Making your reader think about what you want them to.

Therefore, I say content is absolutely ruler. It will bring you returns you cannot calculate. Thank you. big_smile

24. bojanglesk8 profile image60
    bojanglesk8posted 14 years ago

You are a very smart man. Kudos.

25. MikeNV profile image66
    MikeNVposted 14 years ago

Search Engines are just software.  And what you are missing is that Google will reward poor content with pennies a click and quality content with DOLLARS PER CLICK.

1. Mike Rogers profile image61
      Mike Rogersposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think that is absolutely correct, MikeNV. Focus on serving the needs of your visitors with quality content and everything else will fall into place.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)