Site Update: Content warnings, suggest links, news capsule

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (44 posts)
  1. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
    pauldeedsposted 12 years ago

New Hub Warnings - We now display automated warnings on hubs identified to be in areas where rules violations are common. These are the first step toward implementing some of the rules changes described on the HubPages blog last week.   Please click on the warning to learn more about that particular area.  They are intended, in conjunction with some upcoming Hub Tool changes, to help educate authors about the HubPages rules as early as possible in the publishing process as possible so that violations can be avoided.  The appearance of one of these warnings does not necessarily mean that there is a problem with your Hub.

Tomorrow, we will unveil some additional warnings related to the upcoming changes and begin emailing people a complete list of issues in their hubs.  As before, you will be given a couple of weeks to make the necessary corrections before we begin slowly unpublishing hubs that are still problematic.

News capsule - You can no longer add new News Capsules to your Hubs. They are going to be eliminated completely in a couple of weeks.

Suggested Links Tool - We no longer pre-select phrases for you from your Hub.  You now have to choose your own places to add links, which we think will result in better constructed hubs.

1. Glenn Stok profile image97
      Glenn Stokposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Does that mean that HubKarma is going to be removed? I never liked it anyway. I always found it better to choose my own links and places to put them.

2. Glenn Stok profile image97
      Glenn Stokposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I just got done reading the "Upcoming Policy Changes" and I just want to say I am extremenly pleased that HubPages is taking such a strong initiative to assure that the good writers here are rewarded and not dragged down by poor hubs on the site anymore.

I noticed the stricter rule about links to other sites.  I always rejected any comments that people left in my Hubs that had promotional external links to their own sites. I was always surprised to see high-ranking Hubbers allowing these types of comments in their own Hubs. I am sure they reduced their Google ranking somewhat.

I think it would be helpful if the new automatic fucntions would also reject comments with external links so Hubbers don't need to keep an eye out for that.

Anyway, thanks to all you hardworking HP staff. Your efforts are much appreciated.

3. marshacanada profile image68
      marshacanadaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I dont know how to add a link. I also dont know how to add those little blue phrases that take you somewhere when you click on them. Are those the links?

1. Amanda Severn profile image95
        Amanda Severnposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Go in to edit mode. Highlight the phrase you wish to 'go blue'. Look at the edit tool bar on your text capsule. You will see a linked chain next to a broken chain. Click on the linked chain, and a new little capsule will pop up for you to place your link in.

1. marshacanada profile image68
          marshacanadaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Many Many thanks Amanda Severn -I think I can do that.

1. Jean Bakula profile image93
            Jean Bakulaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Try to link to your own hubs. If you link to other people's hubs, readers will go off of your pages. I still can't decide if the hubkarma thing is good or not.

2. cardelean profile image87
          cardeleanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks so much!  I never knew how to do that and always wondered, very helpful!  smile

4. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
      DzyMsLizzyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Eh--NBD--I never used news capsules, anyway.  Did not see the point.  Half the time, the links would get broken, because the posting sites remove or move the articles to 'archives' and they become unavailable.

5. profile image0
      Multimanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I had two hubs that now after three days are down in 46 and 41 range on score, that got warnings when I first put the title in Body Systems and Health, told me it was a FOREX site, the warning went away, the other was with just the title written telling me I was viiolating anotehr rule about something it too went away later, but both these hubs curiously have gone down instead of up which I have never had happen before, are you sure there is not a glitch in the warning in the system that might be marking these somehow?

6. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

There seems to be a problem.  Iunderstood the warning email would have a complete list of problem Hubs, but yesterday I had a Hub unpublished without warning for a link to a prohibited site. It wasn't on my warning email.

I got the clear impression from the above email that if I acted on the warnings in it, I didn't need to worry any further.  I'm sure you'll agree the wording (bolded) says that, so I'm sure I'm not the only one who would have that impression.

If it's not the case, and further sweeps may result in unpublishing without warning, perhaps another official announcement might be in order to clarify?

2. profile image0
    lynnechandlerposted 12 years ago

Love the hub ad addition to the account page.

Have a question, do we need to manually check our hubs or do they come with an identifier that lets us know there is an issue?

1. Jason Menayan profile image60
      Jason Menayanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You'll get an email with specific instructions if you have any Hubs with issues, in the next day or two.

1. chamilj profile image61
        chamiljposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Then it would be better.

2. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
      pauldeedsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The status of these warnings is fairly time consuming to calculate and can change independently of edits to your hub, so we can not easily provide an indicator on the my account page for each of your hubs.   So, you either have to manually check each hub, or you can wait a few days for the email (which is what I would recommend).

If you don't write about subjects that are either near the edge of our rules (such as gambling, alcohol, weapons, or tobacco), or that are popular with affiliate marketers (like multi-level marketing, acai berry, weight loss, cash gifting, forex, debt consolidation) then you probably don't have much to worry about in regard to the aforementioned warnings.

1. Charles Pryor profile image60
        Charles Pryorposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I wrote a hub about how to stay away from scams and multi-level marketing websites and how to better protect yourself online and am not promoting any affiliated offers and yet I got an automated warning about my hub appearing to be about multi-level marketing.  Is there an appeals process? Is it wrong to write about protecting against such things?

Please read that automated warning carefully. It simply says that it appears the Hub is on multi-level marketing, and because of this, no affiliate links are allowed. If you don't have any affiliate links and your Hub is truly informative, then you have nothing to worry about.

1. Charles Pryor profile image60
            Charles Pryorposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Jason ;-)

3. profile image0

Awesomeness, thanks for the quick reply.

4. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

Thank you Paul and Staff. smile big_smile

5. profile image0

Thanks again, just went and checked think I've stayed away from those topics so not gonna worry over much about it. You guys are simply awesome and I'm working on a strategy for a new direction with my hubs so I'm absorbing all this info.

6. Ladybird33 profile image64
    Ladybird33posted 12 years ago

I had a couple emails and they were clear and I do appreciate it!  Thanks so much

7. AEvans profile image73
    AEvansposted 12 years ago

Thank you! smile

Question. What is the recommended tags per hub?

8. recommend1 profile image60
    recommend1posted 12 years ago

I have been critical of the way the changes have been made and the lack of firm direction -  It is nice to be able to make a favourable comment at last -  this is a better approach in the way it works and the way it is presented and  - well done and nice to see it smile

9. twentyfive profile image79
    twentyfiveposted 12 years ago

Awesome! Thank you HP Team smile

10. viking305 profile image93
    viking305posted 12 years ago

This is a welcome edition to HubPages.  The emails will help me know what has to be changed to meet the new TOS on HB

I also love the HubPages Ad program earnings up there on our Accounts Page

11. Rosie2010 profile image67
    Rosie2010posted 12 years ago

Paul, question here..

"The appearance of one of these warnings does not necessarily mean that there is a problem with your Hub."

I have a diet review that got a warning about diet supplements, but it's not about diet supplements.  I had deleted "supplement" and all wordings associated with the word "supplement."  But the warning does not go away. 

As of this writing, I have not received any email from HP regarding this infraction.  Should I just leave it be, or email HP about it.

Thanks so much for all the new changes.  They are all very helpful.

Rosie

1. Rosie2010 profile image67
      Rosie2010posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I just checked my hub, the warning is gone.  Thanks HP!  That was really quick!

12. lorlie6 profile image74
    lorlie6posted 12 years ago

I just went to one of my hubs and was instructed to remove several of the photos which were pixilated (Sp?).  I fixed that, but was not aware of the problem with news capsules.  Should I delete those on all my hubs?

1. AEvans profile image73
      AEvansposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I would recommend you do it smile

1. Jean Bakula profile image93
        Jean Bakulaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't understand why pictures are so important on a writing site. They may as well not allow us to use pictures. I have used them prudently and cited sources, but the TEAM says try to take your own pics. Why? It's not a photography site, and sometimes it's just easier to find a legal online pic to help illustrate or brighten up your hub.

We're a site that likes to stress completely original content, both writing, pictures and other forms of content that our capsules support.

Original, directly-relevant pictures can enhance an already well-written Hub by giving it visual context. If you don't have any pictures of your own, then finding creative commons pictures and providing the right attribution is a good second choice.

2. Jason Menayan profile image60

No, don't bother. If you do nothing, they will disappear on their own.

From the blog post:

1. lorlie6 profile image74
        lorlie6posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, AE, for responding, and Jason, I will let you guys do it! smile

13. Will Apse profile image87
    Will Apseposted 12 years ago

A couple of days after US Panda, I visited the Squidoo forums. They were pretty happy that nothing really bad had happened. They were so happy that they announced you could now have 20 Amazon ads per page instead of 10.

Dodge a bullet, hit the gas.

This will happen to Hubpages one day soon. Show due contrition. Clean out the cr*p. Start reaping the percentage points later.

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image94
      PaulGoodman67posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I personally hope that they will keep the crap out of here, even things do get better.  The Hubpages concept is a great idea and all the idiots who copy, spam, produce weak content etc tarnish Hubpages.  I am not entirely unsympathetic towards Google.

14. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
    DzyMsLizzyposted 12 years ago

I ended up with an as-yet-unpublished hub with a warning about the subject matter.  I wrote an e-mail to the address provided, and it has already been fixed.  They were very quick--it was just overnight, and it was done, so they are really on the ball with this, and very cooperative.

15. subbuteoz profile image66
    subbuteozposted 12 years ago

I must admit I'm quite happy with the flagging concept after being sceptical initially. You're flagged, you rectify, its re-published quickly.

Best way of cleaning up some of the dross I reckon.

Good on you HP

16. Janet21 profile image81
    Janet21posted 12 years ago

Unfortunately, not always.  I have two hubs which were unpublished and fixed weeks ago and they remain unpublished today.  the good thing is that they are St Patrick's Day hubs so they would not be receiving a ton of traffic anyway....

17. kmartel profile image60
    kmartelposted 12 years ago

Too bad we writers don't have a say about the advertising that appears on our hubs now with no relevant content to the subject we publish, can us the readers have a say in what Hub pages puts as advertising?  I just published a new hub this morning and am pissed that there is a BIG IPAD publicity box next to my hub which has nothing to do with my hub at all!!

1. profile image51
      hubpagesuckballsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

1. profile image0
        EmpressFelicityposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'll bite.  What new rules?

2. Howard S. profile image90
      Howard S.posted 12 years ago

I am very happy to see the change in the Suggested Links Tool. I have been openly critical of the tool in the past because of its misuse by those who didn't understand how the suggestions are selected. They, of course, are the same ones who don't read directions. This is a good move. Thanks!

1. toknowinfo profile image71
        toknowinfoposted 12 years ago

HubPages is constantly a work in progress. I appreciate the changes.

2. pearlmacb profile image70
        pearlmacbposted 12 years ago

Thanks for this hub, change is good....I really hope any additionally changes in the near future, are a win-win situation!!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
      Necessary
      HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
      LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
      Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
      AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
      HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
      HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
      Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
      CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
      Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
      Features
      Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
      Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
      Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
      Marketing
      Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
      Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
      Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
      Statistics
      Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
      ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
      Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
      ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)