jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (22 posts)

There is a hole in my Hub

1. Sinea Pies profile image81
    Sinea Piesposted 6 years ago

Just posted a new hub and there is a big white space that I could not eliminate.  It's right in the body of the article.  Any suggestions?  The Hub is http://hubpages.com/hub/M-M

2. Haunty profile image81
    Hauntyposted 6 years ago

Edit the hub and the text capsule in which the big white space is.

Click the HTML button and in the resulting window find the space. It is caused by many of these: <p><br /></p>

Delete them and save.

Sinea Piesposted 6 years agoin reply to this

There doesn't appear to be a text capsule, though. It shows on my screen as a big, wide open space in between text capsules.

1. Haunty profile image81
        Hauntyposted 6 years agoin reply to this

They are in the text capsule that is before the space. M&M's Recipe Ideas

3. Aficionada profile image90
    Aficionadaposted 6 years ago

Excellent.  This answers a question I had about how to create a blank space.  I didn't have all of the html in there correctly.

4. paradigmsearch profile image86
    paradigmsearchposted 6 years ago

Ya know…, I’ve yet to use the new editor… I can hardly wait. big_smile

1. IzzyM profile image86
      IzzyMposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I'm actually not looking forward to use the new editor, as it seems to be less user friendly than the old one. I now need to learn html?

1. paradigmsearch profile image86
        paradigmsearchposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I don’t know if that is required for the new editor, but I doubt it.

Besides, even my dog knows html. big_smile

Can you send your dog over to fix my hub then? smile

lol

Didn't need your dog.  Website Examiner told me what I did wrong.  I had accidentally hit the space bar a zillion times (did I lean on it? Don't think so but whatever.)  So, all that white was in the hub above the next capsule.  All I had to do is highlight after the last words of the upper hub and click Delete and save.  Voila!  No white space.

Seriously, though, where do people even find the html in a hub?

2. Aficionada profile image90
        Aficionadaposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Izzy, I probably know just as much about html as you do.  I have learned a few tags, which I try to use often in forum posts just so that I can stay comfortable with them and then, bit by bit, increase what I know.

For example, the very most basic tags use specific letters enclosed in < > or [ ] at the beginning of a phrase and then the same characters with the addition of / just after the first bracket, at the end of the phrase. If you look above the reply box when you are posting in the forums, you see "quote" enclosed in [ ] and "/" "quote" enclosed in [ ] - those are html tags.  The ones that indicate italics, bolding, and underlining are described below the reply box, if you click on "formatting."  {Note: in trying to post this, I had a devilish time typing it correctly because (1) first, it read the part about "qu*te" and "/"  "qu*te" as being a html command, and it created a block quote; then (2) when I tried to add spaces or whatever to break up the "command," a warning kept telling me I had forgotten some tags at the beginning or end! LOL}

In Hub Edit mode, in the text capsules, usually the only tags I use are meant to retain some spacing that is important to my article.  Sometimes I can figure out how to make it work, and sometimes I can't!  LOL

5. Richieb799 profile image59
    Richieb799posted 6 years ago

None of us like change lol...I'm sure Hubpages haven't done anything drastic, they are pretty good when it comes to maintaining user friendliness within the software..

<p><br /></p> These are simply spacer codes, I don't think Ive used the new interface yet but I did notice some option for including these but this is very basic HTML..I don't think they will expect us to know anything else and I think the use of this was simply an extra option

I just thought I'd post since I'm missing forum, I haven't had much chance to get in forum for the last couple of days, seems only Paradigm, Izzy and a few of the regulars are still posting!

1. Randy Godwin profile image94
      Randy Godwinposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I think there are still a few snakes in the system!  At least one, anyway!  smile

1. IzzyM profile image86

I suppose it is time I did learn some html - I hate being forced into something, but if I have to use it to create a space, I will.
        Learning experience won't go to waste. It'll have to be repeated a few times to sink in, but won't got to waste.

1. Haunty profile image81
          Hauntyposted 6 years agoin reply to this

LOL Don't misunderstand. I was answering the OP's question. The new editor doesn't require knowledge of HTML. The only difference you will notice is that the word count is shown and that you can resize the editor window by dragging the handle in the lower right corner. smile

1. IzzyM profile image86

Well I haven't changed anything so I assume I am still using the old editor except I now have a word count which is nice really, especially on an Amazon hub.

6. Simone Smith profile image88
    Simone Smithposted 6 years ago

Hi Sinea Pies - I see there is still a big white gap in your Hub.  Have you edited the text capsule to remove any extra returns that are still present? Or removed those <p><br /></p>s from the HTML?  And is the white space still sticking around?  I know it looks like the gap is below the text capsule, but could it just be those extra breaks?

7. paradigmsearch profile image86

I checked her page source code. As of this post:

"<p><br /></p><p><br /></p>

<p><br /></p><p><br /></p><p><br /></p><p><br /></p><p><br /></p><p><br /></p><p><br /></p><p><br /></p><p><br /></p><p><br /><br /><br />"

are still there.

Of course, I don't  "speak html" but I don't even know where to FIND it!  Help?

I've just seen your post. Are you still here? smile

Edit: And tell me what browser you are using.

8. paradigmsearch profile image86

Never mind. We will try again tomorrow. smile

working