link wheel and social bookmarking questions

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (21 posts)
  1. Greg Sage profile image41
    Greg Sageposted 12 years ago

I'm about to sign up for some social bookmarking sites, and am wondering if it matters if they are all in my name, if it might be easier to use facebook signin for many of them, or if is somehow better to use different names and such if I'm only using them for backlinking purposes,

Also, if you are setting up a link wheel, isn't it a problem that each node has the same adsense account linked to it?  Doesn't that automatically tell google that it's just you at each point, and not lots of independent referring sites?

Greg Sageposted 12 years agoin reply to this

nobody?  I've signed up for over 20 while waiting for answer.

I found a firefox addon that creates and stores all my login info, so I guess it can keep track of all names and such.

Still not sure about the matching adsense account issue, tho.

2. profile image0
      BRIAN SLATERposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi Greg just seen this post, I may be able to offer some advice.

Read this hub-http://hubpages.com/hub/The-Ultimate-Writers-link-wheel-tutorial-earning-from-your-backlinks

Create a new false email account at any place you like, Gmail, Yahoo or others.

Sign up for the 4/5 places mentioned in the hub and create an account using your new e-mail address.

On all accounts it is optional to enter your adsense account- Leave it blank.

Follow the information in the hub, it works and Sunforged is well respected. Forget automated social bookmarking unless you like it, some places are better than others.

At places like e-zines you have to write a unique new article, still use your keywords and tags.
      hope this helps.

Well dammit.  I read that hub, but I missed it if it talked about using a new email addy, and I've already linked the adsense and amazon at most of them.

I didn't read anywhere not to.  It just clicked with me later that I was giving google a roadmap.

Is this a serious issue?

Should I forget those accounts, get a new emal and start over?  Is it important at that point to NOT link adsense?  Can anyone confirm that this blueprint for Google thing is a real problem?  Am I just missing out on revenue from those sites?

For now, not planning on doing any garbage, or any autobookmarking... just want to learn the process and do it by hand.  I can write quickly, so new content is not that much of an issue. 

I'm not sure what sunforged is, but will investigate.

2. Greg Sage profile image41

Somebody must know this.

dang.  I've signed up for like 50 bookmarking sites, and 5 more hubs by hand and still no answer.

Maybe I'm not asking it right.

When you sign up at Squidoo or Triond or something like that, they all ask for your adsense id, right?

Well, the whole idea of creating a link wheel means trying to give the impression of authority by having interlinked sites, correct?

Google doesn't like the idea of you being your own authority and has measures including sandboxing to try and make sure that authority is grown organically among many separate nodes, right?

Well... is it just me, or does Google own Adsense?  In other words, by having an adsense account and using that same account number at each of the links in your wheel, aren't you in fact giving Google a blueprint of exactly what you're doing?  I mean... just handing them the picture on a silver platter.

Now, is this just me being paranoid?  Does it not matter?  Or am I missing something somewhere like people have 7 different adsense accounts or something?

1. kb24 profile image53
      kb24posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am not sure about the adsense part but with social bookmarking. I have the same account for all my bookmarks. have a look at socialmarker.com

Those names being the same would't matter I would guess.  I did them all dfferent for the heck of it.

I registered them all by hand only because I've read so many bad accounts about automated systems.  yes, it would be great to not do by hand, but being shut off would be much worse.

Who's got some real experience with socialmarker?  How long, how many times, that kind of thing.

It was my understanding that the 50 in 15 minutes with them all looking the same thing was kind of the problem.

3. Greg Sage profile image41

So, I'm trying at the moment to sign up for google analytics.

Let me see if I've got this straight... they've got every one of my nodes or hubs or whatever tagged with their adsense program... AND I"m asking them to track it with Google analytics?

Am I misunderstanding something by thinking that the whole idea is for them NOT to know it's all being generated by one person?  Does it not matter?

4. Aficionada profile image80
    Aficionadaposted 12 years ago

No, I don't think that's the idea at all, at least not for everyone.  For many people, apparently, it is a way of spreading out information in different levels and in different locations so that different audiences can read at one level and follow links to other levels; and, ideally, eventually the links will grow organically.  But there probably are some people who do use link wheels in the dishonest way you describe.

People are only allowed to have one Adsense account.  Period.

No, I don't think that's the whole idea at all.

It would probably be a good idea for you to run a search for
    link wheels in the HubPages search box and read what some of the real experts here have said about them.  I'm not an expert at all, and I don't use link wheels.

Well, what you described is some of my goal... that, and SEO.  It's all original content everywhere.  Just trying to maximize traffic to a main site which I don't have up yet.

I just was under the impression that google would sandbox you if they determined your authority was coming from a link wheel you set up.

2. TrafficJunky profile image58
      TrafficJunkyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

When you set up a link wheel, the concept is to use web 2.0 properties that are not linked to your own account. SO, signing in with your FB account is not a good idea. Here is an article that describes how to set up link wheels:http://automarker.net/part-1-creating-a-link-wheel
      Social bookmarking can be extremely effective for backlink building, but only if done the right way. Using socialmarker or even ping.fm is no longer very effective. Google must have recognized the patterns and discounts the importance. If you want to set up a good social bookmarking system, you may want to check out http://socialtrafficmastermind.com. They give away a complete social bookmarking course with 11 training videos that describe in great detail how to set up social bookmarking for maximum impact. Hope this helps.

I'll check it out tomorrow.
        I assumed as much about facebok... and about the automators

I already spent half the day creating dozens of accounts. 

So.... don't use adsense on any of the others like squidoo?

2. Greg Sage profile image41

That site doesn't work at all.  I tried several times yesterday and again today to sign up, and it just takes all my info, then dumps me back on the signup screen.  When I try to us the info I gave it to sign in, it shows no record and dumps me back.

When I sent email to the address listed, it got bounced back to me saying they don't accept outside emails (because my email wasn't on their pre-defined list of addresses to accept mail from).

Now I'm just pissed that I even gave my email address.

5. thisisoli profile image69
    thisisoliposted 12 years ago

Firstly, Google Search does not access any Google Analytics data. 

Secondly, social bookmarking is not much of an SEO technique, they are rarely do-follow, and even more rarely carry any Google Trust.

Finally, it is not hard for Google to spot a link wheel, Remember they have an arsenal of engineers working on the search algorythm who instantly jump on the latest IM trend being glorified.

OK, so what am I to make of all that?  Other that you don't seem to think adsense links matter (although that would seem to be the EASIEST way or their arsenal of engineers to spot it.)

So you're saying link wheels don't work?  I'm pretty new to this, but I've read literally hundreds of pages of info, and most of it disagrees with that stance.  Wiht only a few exceptions, the sites I signed up for are do-follow.

So... are they putting effort into stopping link wheels?  Do they penalize permanently?  What DOES work?

1. thisisoli profile image69
        thisisoliposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Google Analytics data is definitely not used by Google. Search Engine Land also says that Adsense data is not used by Google search.

When it comes to link wheels, imagine, if you were Google and you knew that a technique such as the link wheel existed, what would you do about it? Link Wheels are not valueless, but like reciprocal linking, they don't have as much value.

Likewise in the last few years google has made a much greater effort to head away from page rank and instead look for value from link sources. So you might be able to get some a lot of links from bookmarking services, but what about the quality of those sites that you are getting links from?

What should you be doing? well that's a huge subject right there!

I'm not disagreeing with you, just trying to read between the lines in developing an effective strategy.  Obviously some of this stuff does work as there's unpaid testimonials everywehere.

My plan was to get as many links in wheel as possible, and then focus in on do-follow bookmarking sites starting with highest ranking.

I'm still figuring out what all that means, but that's what I've gleaned thus far.

1. thisisoli profile image69
            thisisoliposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I would recommend searching for high quality one way links, not always easy but it's well worth the effort.

If you are serious about building a link wheel (And the people who see some success with it are) then you need to own several sites that have a decent level of Google Trust, and they need to be on seperate c-class ip ranges.

The problem with both SEO and IM is that there are plenty of people out there who regurgitate old information, or claim to be experts when they really are not. It can be difficult to discern what is good information, what is uninformed information, and what is simply bad information.

Understood.  Just trying to grasp the basics.  For right now, I only own one domain (and it's variants) which is not yet hosted.  I plan to get a few more, but not until my keyword stuff is worked out.

This brings up another question.  The goals are twofold:  Generate some lasting income, and generate a tidal wave of traffic to my music website once I'm ready to release my solo album.

This brings up another question.  I've been kicking around the concept of doing a daily comedy blog... hard to monetize, but possibly good for generating a following.

I've also been kicking around something musical... reviewing new artists, that kind of thing... in order to get more targeted following.  That part's a slam dunk for the music site, but not sure of best way to tie comedy bit in.  The comedy part's easy for me and people seem to like it, so seems like I might as well find a way.

Never heard of c-class ip range.  Time to read-up.

6. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 12 years ago

All you read about Link Wheels is still true.

Of Course, google has very smart people identifying unnatural patterns, if you are creating link wheels solely for seo then you had better try to be random and be as clever as you can be also. On the other hand, there is something to be said about scale ... lots of exposure is usually bad as the easiest way for your competiton to beat your link wheel is to report you to google.

What you will find when reading into seo and promotion techniques is there is a very strong division in practical reality and academic claims.

The practical types may let you know whats working lately but they arent about to show you any examples as "proof"

The academic types often sell SEO services, so they will show you graphs with 200+ factors weighted with pretty colors and reference google webmaster forums and matt cutts posts and seomoz and then offer their "services" - they have lots of proof - if you can speak their language (which they made up)

the practical types dont need to sell their services and work for someone else they use their practical knowledge to actually make money smile - the ones that sell services need to continue a farce that easy techniques like "linkwheels" are long dead.

So long story short - your screwed. The ones that can make money online wont expose current methods and the ones that make money off you will inform you that they are necessary (not sure why they wouldnt just use that knowledge to their own benefit?)

as for link wheels

http://nettadz.com/images/advanced-link-wheel.jpg

Thats about where you would be starting with a pure seo wheel. My little primer is for writers and only illustrates the concept and suggests the use of quality original content. When you read those tutorials on the net they are often using software solutions, outsourced third world content, spinning software and tons of tricks Im unaware of - they do this because it works,but short odd finding an existing one and cutting apart link by link no one is going to give up "proof"

essentially, if you have nothing to hide its way easier! sounds like you have some original concepts that could have legs on their own. no reason to start off trying to learn all the "tricks" before building the site and seeing what happens naturally!

but the c-class issue is a fun one - matt cutts has repeatedly stated that any stories about c-class being relative to rankings is a complete myth - the story comes from an odd translation of an old google patent. But - can cutts be believed? proper use of the IP registry (which is literally running low) would push webmasters to use only one ip - it would be poor form for g to inspire the use of multiple ips when one would suffice,

a link wheel would automatically be using multiple c class , but not using a link wheel for multiple c- classes would involve an expensive hosting bill or lots of correspondence and/or fees in networking and networks

Well, I understood most of that.  Still picking up some of the jargon.

Still wondering about some of the basic original questions, though.  Like the adsense thing.  Maybe I need to get my terminology straight first.  Each writing outlet like hubpages, sqidoo, etc is called a __________.  And they have what sort of ranking?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)