Hub-Hopping: pet peeves?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (28 posts)
  1. Theresa_Kennedy profile image77
    Theresa_Kennedyposted 12 years ago

Every time I spend time hub-hopping, I come here in hopes of finding a pet peeves topic...so I'm starting one. My pet peeve is in trying to rank or flag hubs with almost-but-not-quite decent use of grammar, spelling and punctuation. I've hopped this type more often than the high quality type hubpages needs.

I'm starting this topic so I can have a place to vent (let me knwo if there's another). But maybe....maybe those with low quality hubs can stop by and see some of the problems in their writing and improve.

1. Greg Sage profile image40
      Greg Sageposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You could do one on Hubbers ranking and flagging other people's hubs based on grammar, spelling, and punctuation rather than concept, style, and overall execution.

smile

Mark Twain, e. e. cummings, and a litany of the greatest writers that ever lived would fail your criteria, btw.

Theresa_Kennedyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oops sorry, Greg. Didn't see your response earlier. I'm not perfect and understand typos or writing too fast. I understand casual writing, and I'm not a perfectionist (much). I always let slide a few errors, but when it's so bad that I can't read it, that's when I want to write about pet peeves.

It's likely that I've flagged hubs that were rife with spelling and grammatical errors- yet had decent concept, style and overall execution. But I didn't mean this topic to be about "when to flag or not to flag" as there is one like that already. This is a pet peeves while hub-hopping topic.

smile

Oh, don't get me wrong.

There's some real garbage on here....

but I don't think I'd flag something else unless it just seemed like purposeful spam or was advocating violence or something along those lines.

I don't really have too many criticisms of other people's work except maybe for those who write in such enormous text blocks that my eyes just can't follow.

A paragraph break here and there could really help a few folks.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image78
        Uninvited Writerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Wrong... Mark Twain deliberately wrote the way he heard people talk...he pointed out in his introduction that he was doing this...his other writing was completely grammatical, e.e. cummings did not like capitals and did not use them in his poems. Believe me, if Mark Twain were on HubPages he would be venting on this forum about some of the writing.

However...those writers knew and understood the rules of grammar. I'm so sick of that old chestnut of an argument. You have to understand the rules in order to break them. You cannot compare them to some of the atrocious writers on HubPages.

Like others have said, we all make mistakes. But most of us recognize that we have made those mistakes and correct our writing. We don't just slap them up, go on with other things and never visit them again.

Those two are obvious examples because their "imperfections" are well known hallmarks of their style.  Mark twain was a good writer because he understood the rules.  He was a great one because he transcended them in a way that showed an expanded yet coherent linguistic paradigm. 

His provincial narrative style is synergistically interwoven with the subject matter to create a coherent whole.  To parrot a literary cliche:  "His narrative style becomes one of the characters."

I never knew the man personally (I'm not quite that old), but I'm fairly sure Mr. Clemens wasn't a 3rd world spammer algorithmically spinning stolen content... nor an incapable and sloppy hack who simply got lucky.

Since you are making my point for me, and have even been so kind as to point out the deliberate intent of the writers I used for examples, I can only assume that you meant "right."

smile

1. Mark Ewbie profile image82
            Mark Ewbieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Can I just say it's Ewbie, not Twain - but apart from that - all that sinergisticated stuff - that's me to a tee.

heffalump

1. Mark Ewbie profile image82
                Mark Ewbieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Coincidentally Greg, and you won't believe this but...

Too late.  I wrote an article about you writing an article about it before you ever even wrote the article.

Publish or perish.

2. profile image0
          Motown2Chitownposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, thank you, and thank you again.

2. Theresa_Kennedy profile image77

Pet peeve: when sentences lack proper use of indefinate article "a" and definite article "the". I just can't read it, sometimes I flag it, and sometimes I just stop hopping out of irritation.

3. wheelinallover profile image75
    wheelinalloverposted 12 years ago

When I am hub hopping I find all kinds of grammar errors, if they are really bad I just leave, or write an email suggesting that a few changes might be in order, if the content was good. I made the mistake of making this kind of suggestion in a comment box and got my ears boxed for it.
    When I was new here I am sure a few people would have liked to throw me out on my rear. I can't tell you how many of my hubs I have gone back and made changes to. Most of them needed some type of grammar or spelling change, a few needed content added. Too many 20 hour days have taken my work to a point where I no longer publish. Some day when the 20 hour days end I will publish again, I quit because I don't want my work to look like the hubs I felt the need to either comment or send emails to the authors of.

Isn't it better to flag the hub rather than ignoring it? Isn't flagging just a way to bring a low quality hub to the attention of those who can make a qualified decision on it?

I would rather see low quality hubs go back to the author for repair, than a plethora of them on hubpages affecting the reputation of the site as a whole.

4. Uninvited Writer profile image78
    Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago

My pet peeve is seeing a hub that is obviously spun.

1. DIYweddingplanner profile image76
      DIYweddingplannerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Spun and with a hub score higher than mine...what the heck?  Or with a string of comments saying what a great and interesting hub it is... grrrrr.

1. profile image0
        Motown2Chitownposted 12 years agoin reply to this

YES - I find myself flagging hubs that may already have 20 comments because A) It's obviously spun and B) The translation is so poor that I am convinced I'm STILL reading a foreign language.  Aargh.

So.... they're just creating many accounts and commenting on their own stuff?

1. DIYweddingplanner profile image76
            DIYweddingplannerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think so or either there are entire networks of these spinners who are working together.  I've seen them spamming in the forums and reponding to each other.  Could be people working together or multiple accounts by one person.

5. Theresa_Kennedy profile image77

Another pet peeve of mine: those who do not understand the difference between they’re, their and there. Once or twice, maybe it's a typo or they were in a hurry. More than that and the English major in me wants to tap on the lectern.

1. Cardisa profile image87
      Cardisaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi Theresa,

I must say I don't Hub Hop any more for more than one reasons.

The latest and crappiest hubs are what you are likely to see when Hopping.

The next problem I found was that I would lose a Hubber score point whenever I do. I know I should not be watching that score but I can't afford to lose a point every time I read crappy hubs.

What I have been doing is going to the Hubs section and search for interesting hubs to read or look for hubs based on topics.

6. Theresa_Kennedy profile image77

Hi Cardisa! I understand your feelings about that little number. I tend to get too happy when it goes up and too sad when it goes down. I've never understand exactly why it does that, but can't believe hop-hopping would make it go down? I thought hopping was a good thing, as in being helpful?

1. Cardisa profile image87
      Cardisaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm not the only one who experienced this. When it started happening I asked the question if there was anyone who experienced this and the response was yes, yes and yes.

Weird isn't it?

It is weird and sad. But I hope it's not absolute!

7. lorlie6 profile image73
    lorlie6posted 12 years ago

In a nutshell?  They're generally awful.  Truth.

8. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 12 years ago

Absolutely do not believe that Hub Hopping has an adverse affect on score.  One common mistake people make is believing that the score is affected by the current or most recent action.   I am as sure as I can be that it isn't.  It makes it slightly harder to game if you don't know what does what - so it makes sense they would build a delay, maybe more than one type of delay to actions like hub hopping, comments and so on.

HP want you to hub hop.  They give you points / awards for doing it.

Do good things regularly and your score will rise.  But it doesn't happen straight away.

1. IzzyM profile image86
      IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This, absolutely.

We should all hub hop. Help the staff get the crap off Hubpages.

I agree with the OP about spelling and grammatical errors. If allowed to remain, our language will eventually become irrevocably changed as people accept new spellings (misspellings) of words.

If there was nothing to edit, editors would be out of a job and communication would be harder, not easier.

I do agree with this, that we need Hubpages to eliminate or request changes done to the low quality hubs. That is the only way high quality hubs can enjoy a good reputation on the web. If we allow the bad ones to remain, or just ignore them, we become low quality by association.

I don't know how Hubpages can get to them all if the community doesn't help by flagging some of them. Maybe I need to hop more than my fair share since a lot of people are afraid to? If so, I'll be posting a lot more pet peeves LOL!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)