jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (9 posts)

Why can't I post this table?

1. TIC Publishing profile image43
    TIC Publishingposted 6 years ago

When I'm editing an article, I'm trying to insert a table, but everytime I hit save it goes back to the article with this pop-up error:

"Oops!

There was an error saving this capsule.  Please click EDIT and then SAVE to try again.  This error will be reported to the HubPages engineering team.  We thank you for your patience and understanding."

I have tried uploading it as a .csv file, and also put it into an HTML table and saved it at the URL below and tried to import it that way.  Both methods give me this same error.

The table is located here:

http://happeninginhalifax.com/test.html

I've tried deleting the blank rows, and playing around with the data a bit... the best I can figure is that there is an illegal character that hubpages doesn't accept, but I can't figure it out.  Any help'd be appreciated on this one.

2. psycheskinner profile image81
    psycheskinnerposted 6 years ago

I suggest you hit the 'html' button and paste it into the screen that pops up, then hit 'clean'.  If it still looks like the table, that's great.  If it doesn't then the table is using html code Hubpages doesn't support.

3. TIC Publishing profile image43

Trouble-shooting-wise, that's a very logical step to try... unfortunately, unless I'm just not seeing it, there does not seem to be a way to add html to a Table capsule - only to text capsules, which don't accept any table tags.

4. earner profile image87
    earnerposted 6 years ago

I'd try one of two things:

1] Type it into the built-in Hubpages table module
    2] Type it into the built-in Hubpages CODE module (intended to be used by computer programmers to display programming code)

HTH

5. FloraBreenRobison profile image59
    FloraBreenRobisonposted 6 years ago

I've put tables into some of my hubs and to do that I've always used the table template hubpages provides.  I used to be able to copy and paste  my information between MS Word and an internet site, but now not only does Firefox not seem to allow this devise anymore=I use Firefox for most sites now, but now the new Internet Explorarer has eliminated this function as well.  So I try to use whatever templates are given to me within a site as I have enough retyping to do anyways without trying out how tro fit in a template from another location

6. psycheskinner profile image81

Exactly.  If you are pasting a a pre-formatted table, use a text or code module.  If you use the table module you need to hand type each cell.

7. TIC Publishing profile image43

Pfffthh!  I went through the tedious procedure of typing each cell in manually and it worked fine. 

Does anyone use tables a lot?  If I can expect this sort of bugginess, I just won't write articles that would need this capsule.

1. FloraBreenRobison profile image59
      FloraBreenRobisonposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I do a lot.  Because of the nature of my hubs, I like to add a table to the mystery fiction hubs I write as I find it more visual pleasing than just using tabbing
      eg:

Sherlock Holmes      The Study in Scarlett      Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
      Herrcule Poirot          Mysterious Affair at         Agatha Christie
                                             Styles

would look better within a table, in my opinion

I don't mind the time it takes to type it in manually.  Perhaps this is because I don't type that fast anyway, so it's not much slower thannormal

8. psycheskinner profile image81

I don't see it as a bug.  The table module is for populating with text.  If you want to paste it in as code, you use a different module. Otherwise it is trying to put one bouquet into two vases at the same time.

working