Can someone explain CPM for me

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (12 posts)
  1. Seth Winter profile image69
    Seth Winterposted 12 years ago

I recently signed up for hubpages Ive written a few articles and so far I have about 500 views and my CPM shows about 7.50. I assumed the 7.50 was how much money ive made on people visiting ads on my page but a friend said otherwise...I know read something about CPM being you hubs per thousand impressions...does that mean that 7.50 isnt mine til i get 1k views?

1. TIC Publishing profile image40
      TIC Publishingposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hello Seth.

CPM is just a ratio showing you the rate at which you're getting paid for impressions, not actual earnings... and it changes over time - you need a lot of data over some time for that information to be very helpful.

In your Hubpages Ad Program screen, in the Earnings report from your account screen, there are 3 items shown: Impressions, CPM, and Dollars.

Impressions is the actual number of times Hubpages has displayed an ad on one of your pages that you're getting credit (paid) for.  This number is always lower than the number you see in your main account screen of how many visitors you've had, because search engine crawlers, and people who leave your page before it finishes loading are not shown, and so not counted, towards your ad impressions.

Dollars is the actual amount of money you have earned through this program.

The CPM is the rate at which you're getting paid for a particular time - it is simply the number of impressions you are getting credit for divided by how much you made.

For e.g., if you see:

Last Seven Days:
          99 Impressions
          $3.86 CPM
          $0.38 Dollars

That means Readers were exposed to Hubpage ads 99 times in the past 7 days, and you earned 38 cents.  The $3.86 CPM is just showing you the rate at which you made that money.

I'm pretty new here myself, so I'm not too familiar with Hubpages' program, but if it's like Adsense, and many other online advertising programs, the amount you get paid per impression depends on the keywords on your Hub that the ad is intended for.  I can tell you that with Google AdSense, the amount they pay you depends on how popular your keywords are with advertisers, how pages on the Internet have those keywords specific to a given ad, and how much the advertiser wants to pay for the ad (Google allows advertisers to spend extra money for preferencial placement).  I imagine Hubpage's ad program calculates how much you make per impression in a similar fashion.

Your $7.50 CPM seems rather high, and is probably due to insufficient samples to base a reliable average on (for example, on one of my first days I had only 1 impression, but the ad displayed must have been a high value one because my CPM for that 1 impression was about 3 times higher than my average day).

Again, I'm not very familiar with HubPages ad program, but I would suspect in the long run for CPM rates to average between $2 - $4, though the amount will depend on your article and your keywords, as discussed above.

1. TIC Publishing profile image40
        TIC Publishingposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oh, by the way, you may find it clearer if you select 'All Pages' under Date Range in your Hubpages Ad Program Earnings screen.  This will show you the number of impressions and the number of $$'s you're getting paid for each day since you signed up for the program.

2. Seth Winter profile image69
      Seth Winterposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks all I think I have finally grasped the concept of what CPM means.  Its the average estimate amount I will make if I get 1k views.

2. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 12 years ago

That is not an actual amount earned, but an estimate:

"Essentially, effective CPM represents your estimated earnings for every 1000 impressions you receive." (Source: AdSense)

3. Sally's Trove profile image79
    Sally's Troveposted 12 years ago

This is a good question.

CPM means cost per thousand.

But cost and earnings are two different things. Cost means what you pay for something, while earnings means what you get paid for something.

So, it would stand to figure that an acronym like EPM (earnings per thousand) would make more sense when looking at our earnings on HP (or anywhere else).

WE...maybe you can explain this better.

4. profile image0

Sally's Trove, I think that is a very good explanation and point you are making. Somehow, I don't think it is a coincidence that AdSense "confuses" the two concepts in the explanation I quoted above.

The CPM is what the AdWords advertiser is expected to pay, and that is the same for the AdWords keyword suggestion tool. Many people think it shows what they can expect to earn, but it is incorrect.

1. Sally's Trove profile image79
      Sally's Troveposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't think it's a coincidence, either. For the most part, Google does a good job of communications, within the corporate concept, when it comes to something like TOS or Help, but I did get the suspicion that this was meant to confuse, deliberately, and so that makes me wonder whether that CPM amount REALLY means cost, and not earnings to you (obviously, Google wouldn't pay out the same amount that it took in). More insight on this? Just a matter of semantics, or something else?

I don't keep track of earnings in a methodical way, and I don't track earnings against cost...maybe some have, maybe you have. So, I have to wonder if the CPM published on earnings really is the CPM, and not the EPM.

(Bear with me, I can beat things to death.)

5. profile image0

Since CPM is used for the AdWords keyword selection tool, which advertisers use to plan their AdWords campaigns, I think it safe to conclude that it means estimated costs, not earnings.

Well, your answer does leave open the question of what that CPM means when it shows up in a stat that's supposed to represent earnings.

So, are we, as earners, seeing the cost an advertiser pays, or the potential earnings we can expect?

6. profile image0

Excellent point again, Sally's Trove.

I'm thinking I need to move to CA and get a job at Google, but under cover.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)