jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

How to use HTML, superscript/subscript in Text Capsule during Edit Mod

1. nick071438 profile image61
    nick071438posted 6 years ago

In simple English, describe Edit HYML source, superscript and subscript and how to use them.  I have never use them.  Thank you.

1. kschang profile image90
      kschangposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Edit HTML? You almost NEVER have to touch it.

I use it to clean up stuff I cut/paste from other sources, and that only. (That "clean html" button sis really handy)

Superscript and subscript is for exponents, subscripts, and so on. Unless you write math and such you don't need them.

1. classicalgeek profile image84
        classicalgeekposted 6 years agoin reply to this

"Superscript and subscript is for exponents, subscripts, and so on. Unless you write math and such you don't need them."

You obviously don't sew. When you sew and you have to make your own patterns, you need that stuff all the time! Figuring out how much fabric you need, or drawing patterns, requires a really good knowledge of and ability to apply mathematical formulae. Putting those formulae in laymen's terms is another topic in itself! (If you think you don't need it, try fitting a tight peplum jacket without a knowledge of conical sections or solid geometry. Calculus actually made my life much easier when I had to make my own clothing.)

1. kschang profile image90
          kschangposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I'm a guy. big_smile  Closest I come to sewing is walking by the emergency kits in the supermarket. big_smile

2. classicalgeek profile image84
    classicalgeekposted 6 years ago

In HTML, it's actually not that easy. Fortunately, there is an easier way, at least for superscripts 1-3. Simply click the character that looks like an omega from the text box, and look on the third row.

For a good explanation of HTML mathematical markup, see this page: http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/html3/mathscripts.html which gives quite a good explanation with examples.

3. IzzyM profile image89
    IzzyMposted 6 years ago

The html button is handy if you want to add some html, from the likes of AmazonUK. (might have a million other uses, but that's the only time I use it ).

I only use subscript and superscript when I want to move a number - for example h2O, or 42.

Actually I have no idea how to use them in the forums, but subscript would make to 2 in H2O dip and the 2 in 42 rise, handy if you are using any mathematical formula.

1. classicalgeek profile image84
      classicalgeekposted 6 years agoin reply to this

It's also used for numbering, such as 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc.

working