Weekly Topic Inspiration: Using Technology to Simplify Your Life

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (76 posts)
  1. Simone Smith profile image87
    Simone Smithposted 12 years ago

Hey everyone!
    We often talk about how technology makes life more complicated- how do you keep things simple, or how to do you use technology (gadgets, software, tools, applications) to make your life even simpler?

Share your answer with us- in Hub form! It's a great topic to go with if you don't know what to write about this week- we all have to interface with technology at some point or another, and we have all developed ways to use it (or cope with it) to our advantage.

If you'd like to join in on this week's topic by writing a Hub, follow these steps:

1)    Click here to visit this week's topic.
    2)    Click the green button "answer this question".
    3)    Click the gray button below the box (leave that empty) that says "make a Hub about it."
    4)    Give your Hub a very specific title, like Easy Summer Gardening Projects for Kids or Challenging Summer Activities for Teens
    5)    Create good quality original content that hasn't been covered before.
    6)    After you publish your Weekly Topic Inspiration Hub, come back to this forum thread and post a link to your Hub with a brief description of what you wrote about and why.

For more information on the Weekly Topic Inspiration program, check out the Learning Center guide.

I look forward to seeing what your tips and tricks are!

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/5063877_f260.jpg

1. FloraBreenRobison profile image60
      FloraBreenRobisonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

this is ironic, because while technology can simplify your life, it can also complicate your life too. It all depends upon how you use it.

Simone Smithposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Precisely!

2. profile image50
      jenniforposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

1. profile image50
        rngnomanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Most people who are serious about simplifying their lifestyle eschew technology. Thoreau wrote “I went out to the country so I could examine the simple things in life.” There is certainly something to be said for retreating to a quiet place, turning off the cell phone, and unplugging from the busyness of modern life. But does technology really have to control us or can we control technology? For instance, I’m not sure I would want to abandon my washing machine so I could wash clothes by hand! (For those who are wondering, I do actually wash clothes by hand on occasion.)

Perhaps in careful measure we can use technology to simplify our lives

http://thinkingmattersacademy.com/

2. profile image50
        diagnoserposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This guide aims to show you how to rip a DVD, convert video and transfer music from ipod to computer with only one tool.
        It includes 3 parts:
        Part 1. How to rip DVD to iPod/iPhone/Sansa/PSP/Zune and other MP4 and MP3 Players
        Part 2. How to convert all video to MP4, AVI, FLV, 3GP, WMV, MOV, MPG, RM, RMVB, MKV, VOB…
        Part 3. How to backup iPod songs and videos on your computer

Believe or not, to do the things above what you need is download Aiseesoft DVD Converter and few clicks.

http://www.aiseesoft.com/images/guide/converter-suite-new/main.jpg

Part 1. How to rip DVD to iPod/iPhone/Sansa/PSP/Zune and other MP4 and MP3 Players.
        Step 1. Click “DVD Ripper” on the main interface to run Aiseesoft DVD Ripper.

http://www.aiseesoft.com/images/guide/converter-suite-new/dvd.jpg

Step 2. Open your DVD Drive and put your DVD in it, then click “Load DVD” and choose “Load DVD” to load your DVD into this best DVD ripper.
        Step 3. Choose your output format from the “profile” drop-down list. This best DVD ripper provides you so many formats that out of your expectation, such as “iPod video MPEG 4 (*.mp4)”, “iPhone 3G MOV 640*480 (*.mov)” and so on. After you choose your output format, you can adjust your output video’s settings, such as “Resolution”, “Frame Rate”, “Bitrate”, “Sample Rate” and so on.
        Click “Start” now to begin your conversion and you will get your video soon.

To make your output movie more enjoyable you can do some editings to it through this best DVD ripper. You can choose a part of your movie to convert (trim), remove the black edges of your DVD movie (crop) and also adjust the effect (effect) and select subtitle and audio track.

http://www.aiseesoft.com/images/guide/converter-suite-new/editor.jpg

Part 2. How to convert all video to MP4, AVI, FLV, 3GP, WMV, MOV, MPG, RM, RMVB, MKV, VOB…

Step 1. Click “Total Video Converter” on the main interface to run Aiseesoft Total Video Converter

http://www.aiseesoft.com/images/guide/converter-suite-new/video.jpg

Step 2. Click “Add File” to load the video you want to convert.
        Step 3. Choose output format by clicking “profile” and customize your own output video by
        clicking “settings” to adjust the Resolution, Frame Rate, Bitrate and so on.
        Before you click “Start” to begin your conversion, you can do some editing works, such as pick up a part of your video to convert(trim), choose your own play region(crop) and put two or more files into one.(merge into one file).
        OK, now you can begin your conversion.

Part 3. How to backup iPod songs and videos on your computer.
        Step 1. Click “iPod to Computer Transfer” to run Aiseesoft iPod to Computer Transfer.

http://www.aiseesoft.com/images/guide/converter-suite-new/transfer.jpg

Step 2. Plug your iPod to your computer and the Aiseesoft iPod to Computer Transfer can automatically scan and find your iPod.
        Step 3. Choose the songs and videos you want to backup.
        Step 4. Click “export to PC” button to transfer your songs and videos to your Computer.

3. K9keystrokes profile image84
      K9keystrokesposted 12 years ago

Wow Simone-- This is a tough subject for me. You (and Flora) make a super point when saying that technology can seem to make life easier, and for my generation (and older) it can also be our nemesis of sorts. I like this challenging topic, thanks! It seems I may just learn a few really cool Tech savvy things...
      Look forward to reading all the cool hubs to come here.

Cheers~
      K9

I hope you have fun with it! I figured it'd be fun to have a sort of double-challenge with this week's theme- finding ways to make life simpler AND writing something good! Hehee!

1. K9keystrokes profile image84
          K9keystrokesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

As part of the HubPages community, fun is the only result! wink

2. Denise Handlon profile image86
        Denise Handlonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol

4. melodyts profile image59
      melodytsposted 12 years ago

Yes i definitely agree that technology is very useful to mankind however if it is use inappropriately it will bring great disadvantages.

5. Katya Drake profile image60
      Katya Drakeposted 12 years ago

Technology is so great for so many reasons. I have seen it change so much in my lifetime and I'm not very old. However, I do have friends and family members who are addicted to the internet and video games. It is sad. It is one of those things that is a blessing and a curse.

6. bornblond8dg profile image60
      bornblond8dgposted 12 years ago

Technology is definitely changing with each generation, i can remember when i was a kid there wasn't all the computers and stuff and we actually got out and so called played, whereas kids today are on all the computers and stuff and tend to be lacking in physical exercise as are we adults.

7. Mrs. Menagerie profile image89
      Mrs. Menagerieposted 12 years ago

Great topic and a timely one.  Here's my 2 cents...

http://mrsmenagerie.hubpages.com/hub/Wh … Phone-Apps

A "find my niece" app may well be worth it? I enjoyed your hub plenty. Easy to get to links, and a super good story!  cool

1. Mrs. Menagerie profile image89
          Mrs. Menagerieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Do they make a 'find my niece' app and where can I get one?  Hahahahaha!

lol

Thanks for breaking the ice on the subject, Mrs. M.  I've got my thinking cap on...in case anyone smells something burning. smile

1. Mrs. Menagerie profile image89
          Mrs. Menagerieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Haha!

3. Simone Smith profile image87

Hahaa- this is fantastic!  Those find my phone apps can be quite useful indeed! And LOL@ find my niece apps big_smile

8. K9keystrokes profile image84
      K9keystrokesposted 12 years ago

New Technology can rattle the nerves of an older generation. This is my take on the topic...cool

http://k9keystrokes.hubpages.com/t/28122d

1. Denise Handlon profile image86

Good hub, smile

wink thanks Denise!

2. Simone Smith profile image87

Fabulous Hub- and great title too! I'll have to share this with a bunch of people I know can benefit from your shared process and insights. Thanks for writing this!

Thanks Simone, it was truly from the heart! Hey, and I really appreciate the share!

9. melbel profile image94
      melbelposted 12 years ago

Any ideas for this topic? I love writing about technology, but I'm afraid I'm at a loss in this one.

New technology built into homes
        New technology for parking cars
        New technology managing infant safety
        New technology for eldercare
        New technology of food production
        New technology in home appliances

Hope these help?
        Cheers!
        K9

1. melbel profile image94
          melbelposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Man, you're on that! Thanks!

smile  cool--thanks for the prompts.

lol Yooo-betcha'!

3. WriteAngled profile image74
          WriteAngledposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have this in my car, but despite getting a CD and manual chapter about it, I still after one year do not understand how to use it...

4. FloraBreenRobison profile image60

I've heard about these cars that park themselves. VEry expensive, but you would avoid fender benders and no more parallel parking issues.

The "self-parking" technology for cars is really amazing...now if they could just create one that can follow a grocery list!? wink

10. Simone Smith profile image87

Thanks for sharing those ideas, K9keystrokes!

One could also write about...
      Managing emails
      Managing social media accounts
      Going paperless
      Useful sites for tracking finances, chores, etc...
      Useful smartphone apps
      Keeping in touch with old friends via social networks
      Tech that helps you save energy
      Tech that helps you live a healthier life
      The best gadgets for staying organized
      The best multitasking gadgets (to reduce clutter and simplify one's tools)
      Helpful group project apps, sites, and tools
      How to use group calendars (e.g. Google Calendar)
      How to use tech to plan parties and group events (e.g. using Evite, Facebook events...)

Tech can be used in pretty much any facet of life... both to complicate it (so you could write guides on avoiding that) and to make it simpler (so you could write guides on doing so). smile

1. Denise Handlon profile image86

Good ideas, Simone, smile

2. K9keystrokes profile image84

Wow! Now that's a list Simone!!
        ...and it was my pleasure to share a couple of little ideas.

11. Gordon Hamilton profile image92
      Gordon Hamiltonposted 12 years ago

Can I ask a very quick question, Simone/anyone please? Is a Hubber restricted to only one Hub per week on the topic? I have been pondering two potential ideas for the past couple of days and know that if I don't make a decision soon, I'll end up building neither. Just wondering if I could go with both...???

Thanks!

Oh, definitely not! Write as many Weekly Topic Inspiration Hubs as you please!  I would love to read BOTH Hubs!!

Gordon, the more the better! It is always great to add high quality hubs to the weekly topic, and yours will be VERY welcome! I can't wait to read your stuff my friend.

1. Gordon Hamilton profile image92
          Gordon Hamiltonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, SImone and K9. Unfortunately, I've been offline for a day and a bit due to an ISP fault in my geographical area. Frustrating to say the least but hope to still get at the very least one Hub published on this theme.

Looking forward to it Gordon!

12. Rochelle Frank profile image90
      Rochelle Frankposted 12 years ago

Sorry if we have switched to Chinese while I was out-- I am not much of a gadget person , but really like a computer gadget that seems to help me a lot.
      After searching HubPages, it seems that a couple of hubs have been written about it, and a few more mention it.
      Should I try anyway?

Couldn't hurt to try, eh?  If you're not much of a gadget person, perhaps you might write about which gadgets you *do* use without going gadget-crazy!

13. RedElf profile image91
      RedElfposted 12 years ago

I have only six email accounts to manage right now - think I'll take a shot at that one. big_smilebig_smile

Wow! Six! That's one hefty number! I'm looking forward to this one!

Six!? I feel dizzy....

14. prektjr.dc profile image74
      prektjr.dcposted 12 years ago

Simone,
        Is it okay to post a hub written a couple of weeks ago?  I will have to think of another, but right now am still very enthralled with Skype and I published a hub about that  Would it be okay to post it.  Guess I kind of already did...sorry!  Let me know!

It might give us some inspiration- do share it with us!

1. prektjr.dc profile image74
          prektjr.dcposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Okay!  This is about how Skype has helped us to keep connected with my son who is in the U.S. Marines during his deployments overseas.  He most recently "skyped" us from an internet cafe in Greece.  It takes two seconds to connect and we talk for free......check it out here:

http://prektjr-dc.hubpages.com/hub/Usin … -Our-World 

It has made my life so much easier!!

Nice hub. What a great way to keep in touch with your overseas family! New Technology is surely reducing the distance between loved ones. cool

1. prektjr.dc profile image74
              prektjr.dcposted 12 years agoin reply to this

K9,  It really has.  It has been a blessing for us!  Thanks!

This is an awesome Hub- an excellent example of how technology really has made life easier. You present a great argument, comparing communication with family overseas now to Vietnam and WWII.  Keeping in touch really is profoundly easier big_smile

15. FloraBreenRobison profile image60
      FloraBreenRobisonposted 12 years ago

If just published my thoughts on this topic. I've taken a different angle than anyone else so far and have written a poem about how technology makes life simpler:

http://florabreenrobison.hubpages.com/h … ife-Easier

What a fun poem! And you're sinister, eh?  Left-handers ROCK!!

sinister indeed.  I'm glad I live today and wasn't my grandparent's generation

lol This was a "grinner" for sure! Very cute. Thanks for the unique twist to the topic.

glad you enjoyed it

16. Cari Jean profile image88
      Cari Jeanposted 12 years ago

Here is my hub on how assistive technology can help students who have disabilities. Even though some assistive technology is complex, it makes these student's lives much easier.

http://carijean.hubpages.com/hub/How-As … sabilities

Cari, this is a VERY helpful hub. So many cool gadgets for assisting disabled students these days. I think it's cool that you offer some financial options for acquiring assistive devices. Good stuff! lol

I second that! This is great!!!  Assistive technology is fantastic, and a great example of how something VERY complex can make life easier.
        Also, I mentioned an article in my comment- how one kind got a car company to sponsor his prothetic hand- it's pretty cool!
        http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ … James.html

Fantastic story! What a heartwarming (and fun) challenge this kid proposed!  I would love to meet such an intersting young man. Two thumbs-up for the the big car company! cool

17. Cardisa profile image88
      Cardisaposted 12 years ago

Hi all. I decided to do something different. I don't now what to call it but it involves the past, present and the future. Maybe like three ghosts of Christmas?

http://cardisa.hubpages.com/hub/Pursuit … Technology

Awesome Cardisa! So much cool information from past and current times. Couldn't stop reading this hub.

1. Cardisa profile image88
          Cardisaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks K9, I really appreciate your comments. Thanks so much!

Yeah! I love the context and perspective this Hub offers smile

Thanks Simone, I appreciate it!

18. Nell Rose profile image89
      Nell Roseposted 12 years ago

Hi, this is my contribution. as usual I go off on a tangent so to speak! I have asked the question, is our modern mind advanced enough for all the fast moving technology?

http://nell-rose.hubpages.com/_3irgbjxg … Human-Mind

Fascinating Nell. A truly artfully presented hub. I like that you have so much to say about the mix of history and current thinking. You pose some chilling concepts to say the least. Great job! cool

I agree, really fascinating and well written.

2. Nell Rose profile image89
          Nell Roseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks K9, I mixed up my two favourite things, technology and archaeology! lol can't get more different than that, now If I lived back in ancient Egypt with a laptop computer, I would be so happy! lol

It is a very important question to ask, and I think many more folks are asking it!  It's a fabulous Hub you've put together. Technology + archaeology = FUN!!

19. sophia911 profile image60
      sophia911posted 12 years ago

I do not use Apple Iphone Seies , and blackberry . My cell phone just just a phone call anyone , even no message .

20. FloraBreenRobison profile image60
      FloraBreenRobisonposted 12 years ago

A couple of people have written in the question section possible subjects for this week-or another week's-weekly topic inspiration. Not sure when the choice will be made, but I think we are all waiting with baited breath.

I can't wait, I so like the weekly challenges!

I agree, looking forward to the next weekly topic inpiration!

21. Simone Smith profile image87

Well then, here it is! http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/80929#post1744418

This week's new topic is disaster preparedness.  It was suggested by Dave Powell, and it's a great topic to write on! I hope y'all join in on the fun!

22. profile image0
      mtsi1098posted 12 years ago

looks like I missed last one but I will keep the hub anyway :

http://mtsi1098.hubpages.com/hub/adword … Technology

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)