Suggestion to prevent posting of multiple spammy hubs

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (30 posts)
  1. Eric Graudins profile image60
    Eric Graudinsposted 15 years ago

I've noticed that quite often a new user joins hub pages, and adds a great load of spammy hubs in a very short time.

For instance, a user called "plumbingrepair" joined 37 minutes ago, and has already posted 19 spammy hubs.

The new User "plumbingrepairs12"  joined 24 minutes ago, and has already published 23 hubs.

To minimise the impact of this type of activity, why not put a timeout on the publication of hubs?
    Say - for new users, they can publish one hub every 4 hours or something.

More frequent posts could be made when the user has proven themselves - ie when their hub score has gone above - say 80 or 90.

This measure would make it more difficult for spammers to dump their crap here, while still allowing normal usage for "normal" hubbers - (if there is such a thing!)

Regards, Eric G.

Edit: New User "contractor121" has now started publishing spammy plumbing hubs.
    Edit 2: 19 of them in 40 minutes.

2. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

LOL
    I think it makes sense, at least I can't find any drawbacks to this idea from the top of my head smile
    And advantages are obvious.

3. Lissie profile image75
    Lissieposted 15 years ago

I would second the suggestion: I really think it would be greatly reduce the spam clutter

4. Marian Swift profile image60
    Marian Swiftposted 15 years ago

Third.  Save Our Flaggin' Fingers!

5. SweetiePie profile image83
    SweetiePieposted 15 years ago

Great suggestion.

6. crusador profile image74
    crusadorposted 15 years ago

I'll suggest to restrict the number to 1 hub/day. If new or old hubber publish a hub per day, the number of hubs per year would be 365. If you examine this figure, I don't think any established hubber (best hubber) has more than this number in a year.

7. profile image53
    Aradhana08posted 15 years ago

I am fully satisfied with you but there should only a limit for minimum time not maximum. So that the hubber can expand any amount of time when he is going to publish a new hub.

8. premsingh profile image60
    premsinghposted 15 years ago

I agree with aradhana08, There should not be any limit for maximum time. A minimum limit will prevent spammers from loading junk here. No hubber old or new should  be allowed to post more than one hub in a day or two and monthly limit may also be set. Hundred hubs in a year is a good number from even from hubpages' business point of view. Not only this limit will keep spammers under control, it will save lot of moderator's time in deleting irrelevant hubs. There may be some relaxation for hubbers publishing image gallery and a different limit may be set for them.

Eric Graudinsposted 15 years agoin reply to this

What a great idea.
      I reckon one image hub a year should be about right! cool

9. premsingh profile image60
    premsinghposted 15 years ago

Eric, I had only one hub on celebrity since I joined here and recently I removed that too. I am asking this favor for the hubbers who are experts in publishing image hubs and publish more frequently compared to others.  I don't agree with your number (one image hub a year).I am asking  for relaxation but I found some logic in your statement. If image hubs are half or quarter in number to hybrid hubs, these hubs will certainly carry more weight. Since I am not publishing image gallery, I don't think I am the right person to comment.

10. broalexdotinfo profile image56
    broalexdotinfoposted 15 years ago

I am asking my self how did that 'spammy' hubber manage to publish 1 hub/minute?

lol

Alex

Cut and paste.
      Or some sort of automatic posting bot.

11. weblog profile image58
    weblogposted 15 years ago

Good suggestion. Just like Digg won't allow new users to post much for few hrs smile

12. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
    pauldeedsposted 15 years ago

We generally catch this kind of behavior and ban the users within a day or two (before they've gained any benefit from the links, etc.).  If you just flag one or two of the hubs, we'll find the rest.  Unfortunately most any countermeasure we deploy will eventually be worked around by spammers (for instance by posting 1 hub in each account, or by posting from a different ip address each time).  We spend an ungodly amount of time fighting this stuff ...

1. profiler profile image64
      profilerposted 15 years agoin reply to this

even so it would give them a bit more trouble big_smile

I think that 1 hub every 12hours would satisfy both "normal" hubbers and "image" hubbers.

1. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
        pauldeedsposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I suspect the same hubs would still get posted, but they would be harder for us to identify.  Hopefully spammers don't read the forums.

1. profiler profile image64
          profilerposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I thought  better and I see your point. At least using the same name they will show themselves more.

2. Eric Graudins profile image60

I know that you find them eventually, but it doesn't give a good impression of HubPages when the list of latest hubs shows 2 or 3 screens full of entries from the same spammy user.

I understand that it's easier to find them if all the entries are inserted under the same username, and I certainly appreciate the work that HubPages puts into dealing with spammers.

Regards,
      Eric G.

1. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
        pauldeedsposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I can't argue with you there, but we're doing the best we can with the resources that we have while remaining an open publishing platform.

13. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

Paul, yeah, we got you, and you are right as usual smile

I say forget about it. I think Eric will not object now. smile

14. broalexdotinfo profile image56
    broalexdotinfoposted 15 years ago

I can understand how hard it is to fight this stuff. As for checking IP and tracking everything, well I think it does not affect us hubbers and sooner or later these spammers will find their way out of Hubpages, I wanted to point out that there are still hubbers with an enormous number of hubs that I can still call spammers.

Alex

15. Ryan Hupfer profile image61
    Ryan Hupferposted 15 years ago

Paul Deeds lays down the Spammer Hammer!

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/attract/images/ak/AKHAIhammer_hovde.jpg

With a hammer like that, the spammers never stand a chance. smile

But with all seriousness, we take spamming issues very, very seriously and it's our goal to make HubPages the least spam-friendly place to write on the web. We appreciate all of you bringing up your thoughts on the subject and it's great to see that all of you seem to be just as concerned as we are.

One of the best ways that all of us can help the cause is to flag any spammy-looking Hubs as soon as you notice them. That way they show up on our radar and we can take action on our end.

Thanks again for all of your help, Hubbers!

WTF is going on with that link?

It's an image, not clickable, or copyable.
      And I for one am not gunna type THAT thing into my browser.

Is this a new way that links are going to be treated in forums?
      Hope not!

Eric G.

16. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/attract/images/ak/AKHAIhammer_hovde.jpg tongue

17. Eric Graudins profile image60

Don't know what you're trying to say Misha, but the link you put there is not clickable or copyable either !

18. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

I was able to copy it smile

Not really sure why it stays this way, probably Paul or Larry should have a better idea.

However, when I copied the image URL and plugged it into the browser window, it showed me the image in the browser, and now shows the image in the thread, too. And to copy it you just need to open your own post with the link in the edit mode smile

19. Eric Graudins profile image60

My point is that if you want to visit the website, you have to type the URL into your browser.

Not good.

20. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

I think this is the first time I see something like that on Hubpages. My wild guess is the donor site for some reason blocks the image from loading, and then Hubpages code (or firefox) does not handle this correctly. After opening it in the browser image got cached and now opens from the local cache.

Again, you don't have to type, you can copy it if you open the post with the link for editing - either making quote/reply to the original post, or opening your post that quoted it. smile Not that the image itself is worth the effort I should say big_smile

1. weblog profile image58
      weblogposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Yes, it seems the site was blocking the image. Now it is displayed, may be from cache smile

21. laflat7 profile image39
    laflat7posted 15 years ago

yes, this is great idea for prevent spammers activity.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)