Why Do The Adsense Stats Look So Different From Hubpages

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (24 posts)
  1. andyoz profile image88
    andyozposted 12 years ago

This has been something i have wondered about before and it has always puzzzle me.  However, yesterday there was an even bigger gap in my stats, my Hubpages stats showed just over 5000 views.  However, my Adsense views show just under 1000.  Why is there such a massive difference?  Anyone have any idea?

1. Jason Menayan profile image61
      Jason Menayanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Could you share exactly where you're seeing these statistics?

andyozposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi Jason, I see the 5000 views in my Hubpages stats, the total views in the past 24 hours are just over 5000.  Then I log in to my adsense account, the stats for the previous day tell me I have had just below 1000 impressions.

2. Urt og Dyr profile image61
    Urt og Dyrposted 12 years ago

Consider the following factors:

1. google stats are on a calendar day, while HP stats are on a rolling 24 hour basis
    2. adsense only shows 60% of impressions (HP's 40% is not included)
    3. your Hub visitors might be running ad-blocking software

1. David 470 profile image81
      David 470posted 12 years agoin reply to this

But wait, my HubPages stats say about 5000 views, but in my account settings ut's almost 10,000. Is that because the HubPages stats at the top do not count adsense impressions and only HP ad program ones?

1. Randy Godwin profile image59
        Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Time share and traffic share are two different things.  If HP places their code on your pages during the peak internet viewing hours, and allow yours during the less active hours, this will certainly make a difference in the traffic to your hubs. 

We don't necessarily receive a 60/40 split of traffic or revenue, just time.  If I am mistaken it is because I can only check my own hubs to see when my codes are in effect.  smile

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
          paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Not true Randy. Let me see if I can find the relevant post...smile

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
            paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Here it is:

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/6003#post63320

Edit: the subsequent “while back” link really spells it out. smile

So it is only coincidence my highest trafficked hubs have HP's code on them for longer times during the peak internet viewing hours?  Okay.  smile

I suppose HP has no programs indicating which hours of the day are the best for making sales or garnering ad clicks for our hubs, either?  Or do you have this information also?  smile

2. Jason Menayan profile image61

That's not true.

We do a 60/40 split all the time, irrespective of time of day.

If you have data suggesting otherwise, I'd love for you to share that publicly, here, so we can all have a look.

You can easily dispel my assertion by emailing me how much HP made on my hubs in the last 3 months, Jason.  This includes both Amazon and Adsense earnings.  When I get your confirmation I am wrong by comparing HP's earnings against mine, I will be more than glad to retract my statement and apologize to you personally.

I'll be eagerly awaiting your email.smile

I don't have that data. I know how the system works and I know that we've made approximately 50% of your earnings, because we split impressions with you. We might have made 51% as much, or 49% as much, since either is as statistically likely.

Why don't you read Paul's 2 posts in full that paradigmsearch (thank you!) provided.

I did read the post, Jason.  But if it is as you assume it to be, shouldn't HP be earning more than 50% more than I get?  I do know there are times when HP codes are on my hubs for long lengths of time interspersed with shorter times for me.  I've checked this more than once. 

Why not simply give the first 24 minutes of each hour to HP and the last 36 to the writer, or vice verso?  Then we really could know how the system works without having to check every few minutes in hopes of getting some idea of the time share.

I didn't think you had the data and didn't really expect to get a chance to see it.  My offer still stands, though.  Merely because you know how the system works doesn't mean it's being used without manipulation of any kind.  Or does it?

No, it doesn't. As I said before, we run the 60/40 split all the time.

And, as Paul said, if you think we're screwing you over, why not check out the many other sites out there where you can write online?

Very reassuring.  I have checked out and wrote on other sites, Jason. I just see no reason for such secrecy between "partners" in a business situation if everything is above board.  You can look at my earnings on my work but I cannot see if HP is truly being honest with me on theirs. 

If you cannot see the difference then we are both wasting our time here.  So why do you think HP wouldn't like for me to know what they earn on my hubs?  Just your opinion will suffice in this instance.

2. jcmayer777 profile image64
                  jcmayer777posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Maybe I'm not understanding what you're saying....

A 60/40 split simply means that over the course of time, your ads will display 60% of the time your articles are viewed.  It's random, not always 6 times of 10.  It would be possible to see hubpages ads 50 times in a row and still meet the 60/40 split.

3. David 470 profile image81
    David 470posted 12 years ago

I am confused sad I just do not understand why my account settings say close to 10,000 views in 24 hours, but my hub stats at the top of my profile page say 5000 or so..

Could you share where exactly you're seeing the 5000 impressions (i.e. "the top of your profile page")?

1. David 470 profile image81
        David 470posted 12 years agoin reply to this

On my "traffic history to my hubs" it says 4500 views on graph (I was incorrect, almost 5000 though), but this is not the same number that is located "in my account" where the 24 hour statistics are, which say over 10,000 impressions.

Ah, got it. Thanks for the explanation. I believe there is a bit of a delay in that graph. It's a bit hard to see in my own case, because my account (livelonger) has been here for 4 years so it's a bit of compressed graph with 9 months between each tick at the bottom.

4. andyoz profile image88
    andyozposted 12 years ago

Still not got any kind of answer on my original question.  In the past 24 hours the 'my account' page here on Hubpages shows my total page views at nearly 5500.  Great stuff I think.  But then on my Adsense account my impressions for yesterday was below 900.  Why are the numbers so far apart?

I may have solved the problem.  My latest hub is attracting 3500 views per day.  This is a iphone game review with solutions on it, when I view it on my actual iphone, there are no adds displayed.  So I assume that when people view the page, adsense will not generate any impressions. 

That seems a shame then as my 3500 views per day, which is pretty amazing considering I only published this article a few days back, but the views are worthless!  Shame

Got it. Sorry about the late reply; I was pretty much offline yesterday.

Ads should be showing on iPhone impressions, but to a much lower degree. They're not worthless, but probably lower in value than the full-screen version.

We are working on this, since mobile traffic comprises an increasing share of traffic to Hubs.

Thanks for the reply Jason, good to know your trying to solve the iPhone adds issue.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)