Yahoo Ads on Hubpages - How ?

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (28 posts)
  1. guidebaba profile image57
    guidebabaposted 15 years ago

Hi HP Team:

Today I noticed Yahoo Ads on few of my Hubs. Here is 1 of the snaps:

http://z.hubpages.com/u/578968_f260.jpg

This is against the Policies of Google Adsense since both are Contextual Ads. Ironically, I haven't placed any Yahoo Pub ID here on HP. How and Why do you show Yahoo Ads on my Hubs and where is the income going ????

1. Maddie Ruud profile image71
      Maddie Ruudposted 15 years agoin reply to this

You can see here, that it is not against Google's TOS to run ads from other networks on the same page as AdSense.

Lissie is right that we are running these ads only in our share of the impressions right now, just as we tested Kontera in our share of impressions before opening it up as an option to users in their own share.  We are currently testing several different advertising options, in order to be able to offer users the most effective and profitable revenue sharing possible.  Depending on the results of these tests, we may or may not offer one or more of these as new affiliate programs in the future.

1. profile image0
        terrygposted 15 years agoin reply to this

If you offer a new affiliate program will you also provide those who sign up a bonus or share. I see the Kontera sign up had a $25.00 per referred publisher bonus to the one who signed the new publisher up.

1. Whitney05 profile image83
          Whitney05posted 15 years agoin reply to this

That is up to the affiliate programs to decide not HP. Kontera offers the bonus, not HP. Same with how EPN offers a bonus for affiliates who get ACRUs to ebay.com.

2. guidebaba profile image57
        guidebabaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Dearest Maddie : Thank you so much for all the explanation. Things are very clear to me now. I am very close to getting my first Payment from Kontera. Thanks to HP and we look forward to more Revenue Sources. Also thanks to other people who participated and commented here.

2. Lissie profile image74
    Lissieposted 15 years ago

Well it cant be illegal cause hubpages is doing it and this is their busines LOL. The yahoo ads are only showing in the hubpages page view share and hopefully will only ever be an option because non-US based authors cant sign up for yahoo ads

3. guidebaba profile image57
    guidebabaposted 15 years ago

Thank you Lissie for all the explanation. This makes clear that these Yahoo Ads are been displayed only on HP's 40% and NOT our 60%. Still I think this is against Adsense policies because both are contextual ads and according to Adsense you cannot have any other contextual ad on a page along with adsense.

1. weblog profile image58
      weblogposted 15 years agoin reply to this

You can have them, adsense TOS only says no other AD should look similar to google ad (design, colors and all) smile

4. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

To bring in some clarity - it used to be prohibited in Adsense TOS. But they changed this a year or so ago smile

5. Lissie profile image74
    Lissieposted 15 years ago

Probably before they got done for anti-competitive behavour in the land of the free!

6. WHoArtNow profile image83
    WHoArtNowposted 15 years ago

If the Google - Yahoo Advertising deal goes ahead anyway, then you might be seeing ads by Yahoo with 'Ads by Google' in the bottom corner anyway so It might not matter anyway!

7. gamergirl profile image84
    gamergirlposted 15 years ago

Wow.. did Hubpages get a 25 dollar kickback for every person who joined Kontera who is a user here then?

Crazy.

1. guidebaba profile image57
      guidebabaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Maybe. This is just another way of making money. Sign-Up for Affiliate Programs and make others sign and earn your commission. Many of the Experienced and senior Hubbers are already doing this. Not Bad. wink

8. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

Why crazy?

9. gamergirl profile image84

Misha -

I say crazy because it was presented as something done to help Hubbers earn more from their hubs, not something that we (Hubbers) were going to be earning a referral kickback for HP by registering through.  I would still have signed up for it, don't get me wrong, but it would've been cool to know that one of the reasons it was added to the system and the changes made was that Hubpages was going to make thousands of dollars for it's users having signed up..

10. Whitney05 profile image83
    Whitney05posted 15 years ago

I'm not sure the rules of the kontera signups, but a lot of affiliates only actually pay out that signup bonus if the person who signs up gets to a certain point. Like a certain dollar amount. So, even in this case, HP may not get paid for half the people who signed up. Either way, that's usually how affiliates go. You get someone to sign up and you get a bonus. I just figured this was the case here.

Yahoo's the same way, I think, at least with their other affiliate programs. You get someone to sign up for the yahoo dating, and participate for so long, you get a bonus... Or something like that

11. gamergirl profile image84

It was a briliant move, either way, from an affiliate program standpoint.  I don't remember there having been a referral id or affiliate code or anything, that's why I'm giving the golf clap over here.  I work for a company that makes a great deal of it's money through affiliate programs (like 90% of the adult industry) so I'm fairly well versed in how that goes, but have -always- seen a referral id or other such code in any links diverted to the "parent company's" site.

12. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

Charlotte,

If you forgot for a moment - Hubpages are still a business that is run for profit. I don't really see any problem in somebody giving them $25 for my signup to affiliate program, cause I know this money will keep them motivated to provide me with even better place to hang out.

Or did you just want a piece of this pie?

13. gamergirl profile image84

I did not forget, Misha.

Forgive me for speaking my curiosity.

Bye folks.

14. WHoArtNow profile image83
    WHoArtNowposted 15 years ago

I'd prefer it if HP gets $25 for each sign up, cos in the long run its money that keeps them ticking, and they do provide one of the best websites on the net for us to play on!

15. gamergirl profile image84

I never said I minded that they got a kickback.  I'm glad they did, if they did.  I'm just kicking myself for not seeing it as what it was (money for them, some for us) when I use the same type tactics at my job.

1. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
      pauldeedsposted 15 years agoin reply to this

We do not get $25 for Kontera signups, but perhaps we should renegotiate our deal smile.  However, we do make a reasonable income in our share of impressions from people that have Kontera enabled.  It's also the case that Kontera, and indeed all other forms of advertising on Hubpages are made available entirely at your option (as long as your content isn't commercial).  Money for you and money for us (or no money for you and no money for us) is pretty much how everything works on HubPages.

1. dingdong profile image59
        dingdongposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Now, let's hope everything is clear smile Thanks Paul big_smile

16. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

Charlotte,

You sound like you are in a great depression. Not exactly my favorite state of mind. Can I do anything to help you get out of it? smile

17. gamergirl profile image84

I'm not depressed at all.  I think my initial messages have been misunderstood, perhaps I shouldn't have posted without fully explaining myself but I didn't think I had to spell anything out.

18. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

Good, I was wrong then smile Love and light wink

19. jbcat profile image60
    jbcatposted 15 years ago

I just discovered Yahoo Ads on my web pages.  My question to everybody and HubPages how do we get our cut from this because they are showing up where Google ads used to be.  Its my Opinion that we share page views and on are articles and hubpages can get all the money from all the other pages it has its advertising on.

20. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

Yahoo and other experimental ads are shown on Hubpages share of impressions.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)