Going to quit my part time job, that stinks

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (21 posts)
  1. jfay2011 profile image60
    jfay2011posted 12 years ago

I'm going to quit my part time job.  They have been using me for four or five hours on Sundays since January and won't give me extra hours. 
    And I had my last gripe with them today over something really minor and stupid.  I got sent home.
    I tossed one of those screamers from the pocketbooks onto the service desk counter.  I was one cash register away and was very close.  The assistant manager, who technically isn't one of the higher ups, told me that was not okay.  I told her I won't do it again.
    She went on to tell me to put up my closed sign.  I told her I was going to wait on the next customer and that it was a ridiculous thing to complain about and talk to me in depth about.
    After I was done with the customer, she told me to go home. 
    So now I am at the kids house for a little bit longer and am going to write one or two more hubs before I see my boyfriend tonight.
    I get a nice alimony check each month to live off from for ten years and I'm working on getting my paperdoll business and my photography business off the ground, novels published and writing for hubpages more regularly.
    And I have a wonderful boyfriend that might ask me to move in with him at some point. 
    So things are looking up and I think I'm going to give my job my notice tomorrow.  I've been there for 3 and a half years and they are putting all these newcomers and other people before me.
    They are basically using me for their Sundays.  Which isn't a very nice way to treat a long time employee.  They suck.

Which a hub is coming about it more in depth.  But I will not air the name of the company.  I wouldn't want them to see it and get angry with me.

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
      Hollie Thomasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If you are confident that you can survive financially without this job (Particularly before Xmas) and it's making you so miserable, then tell them to shove it. But, only if you know you can make ends meet without the wage. wink

2. Cardisa profile image87
      Cardisaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I say since you will be able to survive, then by all means. I lost my job in July and I have been determine to earn from my writing skills. People have actually discouraged me from this but I must say I am pleased that I did not listen because now everything is coming together and my hard work is paying off.

Sometimes, you just have to follow your gut instincts, despite what people say. It's your life, and you should make the decisions.

1. Cardisa profile image87
          Cardisaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well said. That's exactly what I did. smile

Good for you. Might be tough at the moment, but you still know it was the right decision, or you wouldn't be working so hard at it. smile

2. jfay2011 profile image60
        jfay2011posted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's cool.  I think I am going to take a real stab at doing well on hubpages too.  I have lots of patience for that and my paperdoll website.  I've got some really sweet and highly original stuff.  I love getting into all the details and backgrounds.  And I'm going to be able to survive without the extra income.  I'm almost done shopping for my girls and then have just my boys to finish.My ex and my boyfriend.  My kids usually sign for their dad's gift.  My boyfriend has suggested that Santa might get me a new computer for Christmas.  Mine crashed because my daughter spilled milk on it and it got messed up inside.  I'm going to try to save half at least to give to him for it.  I don't want him spending a lot like that.  He already treats me like a queen and won't let me pay for stuff.  He's been talking about me moving in with him and he has been saying he will be fine with me helping out a lot for groceries for a while while I get those credit cards down.  I published my first mystery novel on it.  That has been a learning experience.  I won't be paying big fees again for the advertising package.  It was a waste of my money and the first royalty check sucked.  I ended up getting 40 cents from every book bought.  But I'm not sure if it is because it wasn't live for too long.  I would still like to publish my books again but next time I just want to pay the bare minimum just to get it in print and a copy for each of my kids when they are older.

1. lobobrandon profile image88
          lobobrandonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm no expert at HP but I do know some writing tricks. I can only tell you to SEO your writing if you haven't being doing so alerady because now writing is turning into your job and not just a passion so you'll look for earnings right?

Also you've just found yourself a new follower smile

2. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
          mistyhorizon2003posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Paying for 'vanity publishing' is not the answer, and advertising packages are probably a scam as you can promote your own books with a bit of effort. Try submitting your book to reputable publishers if you really want it 'in print' (and respected by your friends and family). However, I would recommend you look at Ebook publishing first, as this is free and you get paid an excellent commission, often around 70% for any sales (check out Amazon and Smashwords). If you want a few 'hard copies' for friends and family there are plenty of 'Print on Demand' companies out there who will charge you a fixed fee for the cover image (approx £1.70) and 1p per page of text for each book you ask them to print for you. This allows you to order small quantities sufficient for family use, whilst making your profits on the Ebook sales.

3. profile image0
      Textured Ideasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sorry to hear about the hassle you received at work. You are not beholden to them and you're right to plough all of your energy into other aspects of your life. Don't give up on all of your projects, which may be more satisfying for you in the long run.

4. 2besure profile image80
      2besureposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Some money is better than none.  As far as moving in with a boyfriend; just like they ask you to move in, they can ask you to move out.  If you can pay you own rent, stay put.  If you wants you to move in he needs to marry you.  I am old fashion!

2. jacqui2011 profile image82
    jacqui2011posted 12 years ago

If you are sure that you will be able to manage financially without this job, I would tell them that you are not coming back. If you can manage without this job, I would look to the future and concentrate on getting your business off the ground. This is an exciting time for you and you will have lots of time to devote to your self employment. I wish I could hand in my notice tomorrow, but can't afford to do it at the moment. Good luck and best wishes for the future (whatever you decide).

3. profile image0
    Wilfionposted 12 years ago

It might be best to leave on friendly terms, so that you can ask for a reference in future, should you ever need to apply for another job.

Yes, my reference "Shove it" really meant resign, but in the nicest possible way.

That's true.  My letter to my bosses is for the most part nice.  I state in one part where I am complaining about the incident yesterday with the girl that is beneath them.  I state that I have words for her but will refrain from that.  I did spend some time writing one of the higher ups but thanks I think I won't send it.  One letter is enough.  Hopefully I will never have to ask them for a reference.  I did have lots of nice things to say about all my other bosses but it does speak a little negative about the girl.  No swear words or any thing but I did say her face would break my camera.  Probably not very nice but the letter is too long for me to go in and change it.

1. profile image0
        Home Girlposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Those petty degrading remarks are the worst!  I would never be able to survive in atmosphere of suspition, ridiculous remarks, when everybody feels like it is his duty to pick on you, to watch you. if you need just a part time job, you always can find one, it's much easier than to find a full time one, I am sure. i would not even bother to write a letter, they do not deserve that.

I'm back.  I gave my boss the letter.  I wrote a little note to the assistant apologizing for anything not very nice that I wrote but I did let her know that I complained about the insident and her boss will probably talk to her to see if she could have handled it a different way.  I talked to my boss today.  The other one was there, but didn't stay to know what it was about.  I felt better after talking to her and told her I was thinking about it for a little while mostly because of the hour cut back.  I also kind of thanked her at the same time.  Which is a little contradictory.  I kind of told her at the same time, it was also kind of nice and priceless to have all that time to myself while the kids were at school.  I wouldn't have been able to do that if I hadn't had any alimony to survive on.  And many times, I went pounding the pavement and nobody calls back and I have called lots of places.  Nowadays, they have too many applications to choose from and they keep saying they're in the process of looking at applications.  Or the other famous line is, "It's already been filled or taken."  Which means go back to your endless search.

4. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 12 years ago

Well, that's true. Right now I am trying to find another second job (I need two) because mine is too much  for me, something easier, and I cannot do it. No jobs. I am so tired, that my memory is in trouble. Sometimes I do something and completely forget about it as if it never happened. Scary. Good luck with your job anyway. May be you can work out differences and stay.

5. Richieb799 profile image75
    Richieb799posted 12 years ago

I say go for it, I quit my admin job, went traveling for 2 month with my laptop at hand. Wrote about 40 hubs on the move. Came back and got a new job!

6. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
    mistyhorizon2003posted 12 years ago

By the way, you can still publish your original book as an Ebook too you know, and you can utilise both Amazon and Smashwords for this, (you don't have to choose).

7. profile image0
    lavender3957posted 12 years ago

If you can not afford to quit but need more hours you could find a full time job or another part time that may give you the hours you need. I been there and I had to quit and go out and find a job that would give me the hours I needed and wanted. May not work for you if you cannot afford to quit. You could look while he still hare working. Sorry to hear about your disappointments.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)