Have you ever quit your job to pursue a dream?

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (21 posts)
  1. What Is Q profile image72
    What Is Qposted 13 years ago

Have you ever quit your job to pursue a dream?

Assuming your job isn't already your dream job, have you ever quit in order to concentrate on pursuing your dream? I let my job come first when it came to college, mostly because I needed money to pay rent, and after the rent and other bills, there's no money left over for tuition. I refuse to take out loans or get into debt, so I decided to save up money for college. My dream's to be a novelist, but until I get a book published, I think it's ill advised to quit my day job. Has anyone taken a leap of faith where dreams are concerned?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/4501579_f260.jpg

2. THE DIVINE YOU. profile image60
    THE DIVINE YOU.posted 13 years ago

Yes.. I will. Dreams are the defination of your life... You have no life until you step into your dreams. I will advise you to start gradually, write a page a day... Gradually start going part time and then full time.

3. profile image0
    msorenssonposted 13 years ago

I have never been in a job that I did not love. When it came time to take another route, I took it. I still love what I did and I love what I do now.

4. dusy7969 profile image60
    dusy7969posted 13 years ago

No, but I think about it every day of my life. Does that count?

5. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

Pretty much only when my dream was to finally get away from a job I hated.   smile

In all seriousness, my approach has always been to go after any dreams "on the side".  Of course, I'm a parent, so a certain degree of financial stability has been important to me since i've had children.   Then, too, my children were one part of a few different "dreams" for me - so I guess it's particularly complicated for women.

6. profile image0
    Butch Newsposted 13 years ago

I've had a bad habit of quitting jobs for various reasons.  Been hard on the pocket book but the adventure was interesting.  You only get one chance to run the race of life.

7. May PL profile image66
    May PLposted 13 years ago

I love what I do, which is graphic design. I like my current job. And the people too, I daresay! I'd love to be able to have more time for my family and myself, as such a job that gives me that freedom would be heavenly. Perhaps at some point, writing and participating in HubPages might allow me to indulge in that dream sometime in the near future?

8. profile image50
    fumastaposted 13 years ago

yes. I quit my job, sold our house and cars, bought plane tickets for 2  + pets in exchange for a dream-- That is to be reunited with my US-based family.

Now, the work contract is almost up. 300 more days and i'm out of status, no house, no job and no hope in sight. We have some cash stashed somewhere but it is less than what the immigration lawyer is asking.

ay Caramba!

9. vinodcyber profile image61
    vinodcyberposted 13 years ago

Same as msorensson, I never do a job, which i don't love to do, but with a exception of 2 jobs, out of which, 1 i quit with in a week and for 2nd, it took 1 month.

Business is my passion, and has always dreamed for it. I did my first commercial business deal when i was almost 10 years old.

10. Anita.. profile image59
    Anita..posted 13 years ago

yes, a very successful engineer who won accolades from the company CEO, I enjoyed doing what I did BUT I resigned my job to see my tiny little ones grow (wouldn't miss it as career can wait, they won't).

Now I sit at home and am pursuing my dreams "seeing my children grow and my passion for writing". One more reason I could do that is because of my supportive husband who could make ends meet so...

And that's how my two articles came through...it says it all...

http://hubpages.com/hub/How-2-make-your … nt-4522199

http://hubpages.com/hub/Are-you-going-t … -your-life

enjoy and hope your dream of becoming a novelist comes true someday very soon..

11. jojosocalledlife profile image60
    jojosocalledlifeposted 13 years ago

yes-sort of. I had a baby and whilst on maternity leave I thought, I need to start writing so I only returned part time to work to pursue a writing career. I mainly write for theatre now and I have a blog.
    Check it out!
    http://jojokirtley.blogspot.com/

I think it's only rich people who say quit your job to follow your dream it isn't that simple but don't give up trying in your spare time. It's important to write all the time and keep at it. Never give up! x

12. stclairjack profile image77
    stclairjackposted 13 years ago

i'm with dusy7969 on this one, does thinking about it count? cause i think about it once an hour!

13. Ashantina profile image59
    Ashantinaposted 13 years ago

Yea, I quit my job to do all of the above that you mention and I don't regret it for a second. It got to a point where I just couldn't do the 9-5 thing anymore, kinda soul destroying after a while. I'm truly happier now with debts, living my dream than I was 'back there'..

14. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image82
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 13 years ago

Um . . . no, but I sometimes get fired from jobs in order to pursue my dreams. . . .

15. profile image57
    hjl1posted 13 years ago

I am about to. I have only had 2 jobs in my 56 and a half years
    Army for 15 and Scottish Ambulance Service for 26.
    I am about to take early retirement in April this year.I am setting up my own complementary therapy business which includes aromatherapy reflexology etc.but will also include mental health treatments such as overcoming  depression, guided relaxation,stressmanagement etc. All treatments are holistic and drug free although clients may be taking medication subscribed by their Doctor.

16. GetSmart profile image40
    GetSmartposted 13 years ago

I did, and even though it did not go as smoothly as planned, I do not regret it. I will do it again when I am ready to follow my next big dream! I know I would have regretted NOT going for it more than the temporary inconvenience of finding another job.

17. MyBusinessCash profile image59
    MyBusinessCashposted 12 years ago

I long time ago I was a billing administrator for a business card company. It was a good job but not very fulfilling. One day I went home and decided I might want to launch a venture on my own. When I got home I began to shuffle a deck of cards. I decided if I was to shuffle this deck of cards and pull out the ACE of spades that I would quit my job and pursue the risky venture before me. Sure enough I pulled that card, I quit and my venture took off. After a little while it fizzled out and I had to return humbly to the job market.

It can be quite a mixed bag chasing the dream.

18. whoisbid profile image60
    whoisbidposted 12 years ago

Yes! When I was about 21 years old I quit everything and went to a third world country, learned a new language and became fluent in it, lived in poverty for over a year, made friends with common people and burned myself out completely. I wanted to know what was true about those places and I found out in the end.
    When I went back to "reality" it was very difficult to adjust , knowing that life is not the same for everyone in the world.

19. ronhi profile image66
    ronhiposted 12 years ago

Absolutely! but then i got broke, lost my girlfriend, was unable to pay my rent...etc etc so i had to get me another job and luckily, i got a good one too....and of course am saving so that i quit again! :-)

20. Silent Sinner profile image59
    Silent Sinnerposted 12 years ago

I have just recently been faced with a problem very similar to your. I had a horrible job it took up much of my time and my coworkers were rude, and I was unhappy. So I simply quit. I'm not sure it was the brightest idea for me but I am left to face my consequences . I have had more time to pint and write than i know what to do with , It may not have been the smartest move on my behalf but at least i wasn't left thinking what if.
    I haven't had any true success just yet but I feel my life is on the edge of a break through. i haven't made it yet but at least i am getting my work out and people are viewing my art now.

21. Matt Jackson profile image61
    Matt Jacksonposted 12 years ago

I quit my job to become a writer/Internet marketer. There were some fraught months at first and there are still some ludicrously late nights and moments of panic but I won't ever go back now unless the bottom falls out of my business.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)