I'm new - would anyone mind looking at 1 or 2 Hubs for me??

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (15 posts)
  1. pharmacist profile image87
    pharmacistposted 15 years ago

Hi all,

I'm brand new to the hub thing.  I've applied for Google Adsense and I think I've got it set up for my hubs.  Not sure though.

Anyway, I'm a pharmacist and I like to write, so this seemed like a fun place to pour out the stuff I talk about at work.

Let me know any thoughts or suggestions you might have. 

Thanks in advance,

big_smile

Jason

1. compu-smart profile image90
      compu-smartposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I've applied for Google Adsense and I think I've got it set up for my hubs.  Not sure though.

Welcome to hubpages Jason, a pharmacist will be handy to have around here!!wink

You said you have applied for AdSense!  You will know when you have been accepted into the dSense program via an email from them!, ,,,then you get your AdSense code which you insert into your hubpage "account" page, under  "affiliate settings".. Once this has been don, you will know you have it set up!
      smile

2. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

Hi Jason,

Adding some pics won't hurt and will make your hubs more entertaining. Other than that I think they are fine smile

Welcome to Hugpages! smile

3. Maddie Ruud profile image71
    Maddie Ruudposted 15 years ago

I think that the niche you're pursuing could work really well for you.  The only thing is, your titles are not very search-engine friendly.  Instead of being conversational, or trying to think of clever titles, think about what people might type into search engines to find your hubs, and use those phrases as titles.  Some of your subtitles might do better as titles, and vice versa.  You'll get a lot more traffic with a hub titled "Over the Counter Cures for the Common Cold" than "Coughing Kids & Stuffy Small Fries!"

PS> Welcome!  It was me who moved this thread to the Makeover forum... hope you found your way back to it okay.

4. Shadesbreath profile image78
    Shadesbreathposted 15 years ago

I looked at three of them and it seems like your content is really very excellent.  Like Misha said, break up your your text with some pictures to make them more visually stimulating.

This will help you break up the text using multiple text boxes, chunks of text give you a chance to make more subtitles which will help you on search engines I believe, and will definately guide the reader through your texts in less intimidating increments.  People get scared and run away when they see big walls of text.  Internet readers become instantly terrified if something looks like a real book. The horror!

Honestly, though, your hubs are excellent.  Being sort of an a-hole cynical type, I expected to find solicitation stuff on them, and instead discovered that you have some really awesome advice and info there.  I can see you doing really, really well on HubPages with your particular expertise.  Nice work, good luck and welcome to HP.

5. pharmacist profile image87

Okay.  Thank you all for your kind replies.  All very helpful, especially about adding pictures and thinking about titles differently!

I will try to figure out the picture thing, where to get relevant pictures, etc. 

Anyway, you have been a BIG help!  Thanks for the warm welcomes!

Jason

6. Shadesbreath profile image78
    Shadesbreathposted 15 years ago

Well, if it's not too spammy, I wrote a hub on putting photos in your hubs that might help (in fact, because your query here, I went and updated it to the new photo windows, so thanks).

Here's a link:

http://hubpages.com/hub/How-to-Place-Ph … e-begginer

7. Eric Graudins profile image60
    Eric Graudinsposted 15 years ago

Hi Jason, and welcome to hub pages.
    I love it when someone with real knowledge about a vital topic like this shares their expertise.

I'd also agree that some images would attract more attention to your work

However, I don't think that you need to go overboard with images. Your words are interesting enough to stand on their own, and you are already using sub headings to break up blocks of text.

I'd suggest that initially you just find an interesting, appropriate image to put at the top of your hub.
    This image will then attract readers when your hubs come up in any hubpages listing.

There are many souces of legally usable images on the net, but I have found that istockphoto.com is about the best, because they have an excellent, fast search system. Purchases and downloads are quick and easy.
    I generally use the small images that cost around $1 each.

You could use the excellent keyword tool at https://adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal
    to find commonly used search terms, and try to weave these into your text and headings.

Regards,
    Eric G.

1. Fawntia profile imageSTAFF
      Fawntiaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

If you don't want to pay for images, the best free sources of photos that I know of are www.sxc.hu and http://www.flickr.com/search/advanced/ . Within Flickr's advanced search, you can limit the results to Creative Commons-licensed photos that can be used commercially. You just have to give attribution to the photographer.

1. Sally's Trove profile image78
        Sally's Troveposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I agree about sxc.hu.  I think it's one of the best free image sources on the web.

8. Sally's Trove profile image78
    Sally's Troveposted 15 years ago

I have just read all of your Hubs, and I am your new fan, because your information is so valuable.  It's about time we had someone on the inside of retail pharma talking to those of us on the outside.

Suggestions about your Hubs...

Use the text capsule feature to break up your text, subtitling as you go.  The goal is to tell your story to a reader who scrolls down and looks only at the subheadings.  SEO experts here can give you good advice on how those subtitles should be worded to take advantage of the keywords you choose, but that's not my expertise.  As a reader, I just want to scan a Hub, look at its subtitles to get my grounding and to see if I want to continue with a thorough reading.

Leave out excessive question marks, exclamation points, and caps.  Nobody needs to be shouted at, and all of these constitute shouting.  Your genuine words make their points by themselves.

Best of luck on HP!

9. SweetiePie profile image84
    SweetiePieposted 15 years ago

Another thing I could recommend is just taking a digital camera around with you and taking pictures when something strikes your eye.  I actually get search traffic this way, and I feel more comfortable than having to ask permission or research whether I can use a certain pic.  It is just a suggestion, but digital photography is a love and I enjoy it.  ProCW also makes some really great photoshop images, which is another example of how you can create some of your own pictures.

1. Eric Graudins profile image60
      Eric Graudinsposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I do this too. I've got alot of quirky pics that will come in handy in the future.

10. pharmacist profile image87

Wow...these are all great tips.  Thanks so much for your kind words, your patience with a newbie like me, and your very helpful advice.

I'll try to put these things into practice in future hubs...and maybe spruce up some of the previous ones.

Thanks again!

Jason

11. charlemont profile image75
    charlemontposted 15 years ago

I guess you can add a hub on xanax.
    Or just alter the one you have.
    I see you're taking off right.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)