jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (17 posts)

Dumb time limit on HubPages

1. lone77star profile image86
    lone77starposted 6 years ago

I'm in the middle of a session. I have not logged out. I'm in the middle of writing a response to a forum, but HubPages logs me out without warning or without a chance to save what I've written.

Not very smart, guys and gals!

We need a better way to do it. We need to have something that allows us to save what we're working on.

Some banking websites have a popup that warns that a log out will take place unless you click "OK."

If you want to bump us out of the current session to satisfy your arbitrary time limit, fine! But give us a chance to save what we're working on.

Even when I write it on Notepad first, I usually tweek it on screen. Your system doesn't allow this! I lose everything.

Dumb!

Please fix!

1. rochelj profile image70
      rocheljposted 6 years agoin reply to this

This has not happened in my experience, but I understand it would be frustrating.

1. Cardisa profile image93
        Cardisaposted 6 years agoin reply to this

@Lone77star

Actually you can recover your last draft. The capsules auto save every few minutes so most likely at least 80 - 90% of what you wrote will be there.

Go to the empty hub you created. Open the capsule you were working on.  On the bottom of the capsule (the base border) you will see a green dot and beside it you will see "recover draft", click on that and recover the time closest to when the incident happened. You might not get everything but some.

It is good to save your work every few minutes just like on your computer.

2. Quilligrapher profile image87
      Quilligrapherposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I am bounced to the log in page occasionally when working after midnight EST.  I imagined that Hubpages triggered a system wide reset possibly after an update session.

lone77starposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Quill. That might well be it. I'm working from the Philippines and after several years still have trouble keeping time zones straight.

2. skyfire profile image75
    skyfireposted 6 years ago

Use "lazarus" add-on for firefox or for chrome browser. You'll be able to save the text this way between sessions even if you logout.

3. Pcunix profile image94
    Pcunixposted 6 years ago

Never happened to me, either.

4. Rising Caren profile image77
    Rising Carenposted 6 years ago

This never happens to me either. This probably has more to do with your browser's cookie handling settings than hubpages. I'd suggest checking there to make sure you don't have it set to automatically delete cookies after a certain time.

5. Cagsil profile image60
    Cagsilposted 6 years ago

It's happened to me more time than I care to count. However, my posts are not as long as LoneStar's posts are and I don't need to worry about reposting what I was planning on posting, because truth is always easy to remember. lol

Thanks, Cags. I always knew you had it in you. Yes, you're full of it. lol

6. Uninvited Writer profile image82
    Uninvited Writerposted 6 years ago

He is talking about forum posts I believe.

I haven't had that happen. I usually go to reply and then it tells me I must sign in but it's always before I post.

1. Cardisa profile image93
      Cardisaposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I am so daft sometimes. he did say forum post! The first thought that came to me was oh no not someone else! I lost some material the other day...lol

7. MelissaBarrett profile image61
    MelissaBarrettposted 6 years ago

It's happened to me a few times... I just go ahead and log in and then hit the back button twice...  It usually saves my post.  I just hit the submit button then.  I'm using Chrome if that makes a difference.

Awesome, Melissa.

8. goldentoad profile image60
    goldentoadposted 6 years ago

Anytime spent on the hubpages forums is dumb time...period. So the system is really trying to save your life.

Thanks, oh wise one. And if the same "reset" happens upon creating a hub or responding to a hub comment? Should we all leave HP altogether? Interesting idea...

9. Gareth Pritchard profile image86
    Gareth Pritchardposted 5 years ago

HP is not the only site that does what you are talking about and it really makes me mad so I just write it into Open office. Then I copy and past it into note pad to take out any code put in there by Open office and past it into where ever I want it to go. I can take a week to write what I want this way and often do.

working