Yet another point I missed in the Tutorial, "Sharing With Followers"

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (20 posts)
  1. fastfreta profile image74
    fastfretaposted 12 years ago

Okay, so I had the habit of using the share button to routinely share my new or even some of my old hubs with my followers.  Well, when I tried to share my last one, I got a warning, I don't quite remember the words, but is said in effect that it was frowned upon. Well I missed that point in the help section, so now I must go back and read it.

No question, or complaint, just a Umm!!! hmm

1. Debby Bruck profile image66
      Debby Bruckposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Interesting Freta. I don't always click that FOLLOWERS button to share with everyone, but do once in a while. Please tell us again what was the warning? Over promoting? I also have a new warning tonight but can't figure it out.

2. brittanytodd profile image89
      brittanytoddposted 12 years agoin reply to this

There was a recent forum discussion about this topic: http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/87081

It's okay to share a hub after you have edited it and it has been posted for a while, but sharing your hubs often can really bum out your followers.  I recently had to unfollow someone because their shared hubs were the only things on my whole news feed!  It was not cool as I had already read a majority of those hubs and had no interest in going back to them even if they were edited.

fastfretaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oh, I hope that wasn't me.  I'll stop I promise! big_smile

1. brittanytodd profile image89
          brittanytoddposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oh, no, don't worry smile

3. SimeyC profile image87
      SimeyCposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I never share my hubs with followers. To be honest - if my followers want to read my work then they will - I have quite a few that do! Of course - I have over 1100 followers - do you think all my Hubs get 1100 views? I think Not!!!

2. Joy56 profile image68
    Joy56posted 12 years ago

So many warnings, the power the power....... How silly

3. sofs profile image77
    sofsposted 12 years ago

This warning has been appearing for the last three or four days and I am glad... it is there... Some people fill your feed with ten's of hubs shared in a day...I am averse to the idea ... a fresh new hub is a different thing altogether.. Thank you HP for the caution.. smile

1. mary615 profile image83
      mary615posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I couldn't agree with you more, sofs.  I can't keep up with what I have to do as it is.  I don't need more "clutter".   I'm averse to the idea, too.

2. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I'm happy to see this also. I've noticed an onslaught of shared hubs by the hub's author. It does turn into over promotion.

4. fastfreta profile image74

Oops! Sorry you guys! big_smile I got in the habit of sharing older hubs because I got so many new followers lately, so I just thought that they hadn't read some of the old stuff, and would love to.  Wellllll, I was wrong, I guess.  Soooo, thank you hub friends for the polite, "put me in my place comments." big_smile

So again should I share my new one or not? big_smile

The warning:  "Frequently sharing your own Hubs with followers is not recommended. Do you want to proceed?" The options are "Ok or Cancel."

5. Aficionada profile image78
    Aficionadaposted 12 years ago

Notification of your new hubs is automatically sent to your followers, unless they themselves have requested not to be notified.  Why would you need to duplicate that automatic sharing?

fastfretaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You know you're right Aficionada, I do receive notification of new hubs.  Okay so no need to do that.  However, since going over to the other thread about this subject, opinions are divided as to sharing older hubs.  What to do, what to do! Check out brittanytodd's link above.

1. Debby Bruck profile image66
        Debby Bruckposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It all seems so simple now that its been explained. We do receive so many email notifications these days that its possible never to leave your computer and still be Hubbing comments and responses. Then everyone would get burned out.

I'll remember to also keep SHARE to a minimum when I've updated with some very important news to one of the blogs.

Happy Holidays Everyone! Debby big_smile

2. Aficionada profile image78
        Aficionadaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I didn't use the quote function when I posted before - sorry! smile  I was meaning to respond specifically to your question "So again should I share my new one or not? big_smile"

The rule of thumb seems to be that if there have been updates or revisions that make the hub worth reading again, it is okay to share with followers.

I do understand the idea of sharing older hubs, since newer followers might not know about them, but the problem is that too many people have shared too much all at one time, to the point of being very annoying. 

I probably don't share enough, but my philosophy is that people who read something of mine and like it will probably check over my lists of Hubs or my groups or any links I have provided within link capsules or within the text.  That's what I do when I read something that I like.

3. Pcunix profile image90
        Pcunixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't like it.  I understand the "new followers"  thing - why can't HP allow a "Share to followers who have joined since the last time this was shared"?

That would solve both sides.

1. lobobrandon profile image88
          lobobrandonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes I am following someone who's a great writer but she does tend to re-share everyday atleast 10 hubs!! It's irritating I don't feel like telling her that.

6. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

I average about one share every six months. My followers are no doubt very appreciative of that. big_smile

7. fastfreta profile image74

You guys have all been so helpful to me on this, so now I understand. I will share, but only minimally. smile

8. learner365 profile image71
    learner365posted 12 years ago

Ohh i landed up here wondering about the same problem. I better be careful with the "sharing" part. Although i didn't use it much but still i was kind of unsure what will happen if i shared my Hubs frequently with the Followers. Thanks to you all for clearing up what seems to be turning into a confusion for me!!!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)