Another Hubber Asked Me to Change My Username, what now?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (33 posts)
  1. Joe Macho profile image82
    Joe Machoposted 12 years ago

Hello,

I'll give you a little background to the story here. I write on hubpages under the  alias of Joe Macho. It was the first thing to pop in my head, and I find it more comfortable to write under this name than my real one. My problem now, is that I was contacted by another hubber and asked to change my username, simply because his real name is Joseph Macho. Is this something that I need to abide to? I registered on hubpages months before this hubber and have never had contact with him until today. What do I do from here?

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image89
      Patty Inglish, MSposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I would not change it and don't know of a legal reason to change it. There may be many people with the same name, after all  - Mary Jones, Joe Smith, etc. But email and ask HP at Team@hubpages.com

2. profile image0
      Website Examinerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Invite him to join this discussion.

Joe Machoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

How do I do that?

1. profile image0

If he has a contact link on his profile page, you can contact him through HubPages. Or you may have his direct email address. Otherwise, leave him a comment. Either way, be sure to include a link to this thread

(http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/92194).

3. Greekgeek profile image78
      Greekgeekposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Joe, since your hubs have been around a while, and their URLs are built with your username, changing your username would mean breaking ALL the links to those hubs, ALL the clout they've built up in search engines, and ALL the traffic your hubs are getting. All that hard work would be poured down the toilet, and you'd have to start from scratch. This means lost income. Besides which, you'd probably have to delete your account and create a new one. And the kicker? This other Joe Macho could waltz in and inherit the search engine love you've built up pointing to your user profile.

It would be completely unfair to you.

I've had the opposite happen. I've had an online handle, sepdet, that I've used on the internet since 1993. It was my misreading of an ancient Egyptian name... but once I discovered my mistake,  I kept it, because people knew me by it.  Alas, my mistake got propagated on the web, thanks to some of my articles getting copied and quoted.  When I went to register my usual handle on Twitter, I found someone had claimed it.

Did I contact that person? Absolutely not, because I hadn't trademarked it. The web is first come, first served.

2. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 12 years ago

Keep your user name, which you cannot change except by closing your account and starting a new one under a different name. Put a notice on your profile page that this is not your real name. Ask the other person to contact HubPages if he has any concerns.

3. TamCor profile image82
    TamCorposted 12 years ago

I looked this guy up, and he doesn't even go by his given name.  big_smile

I like Website's advice--put a notice on your profile page, stating that this isn't your real name, just for clarification purposes...

Also--You're stuck with your HP name unless you close your account down and start over, and since you have so many hubs up, I doubt that you want to do THAT!

No, closing my account would be the last thing I want to do. I've worked really hard to get where I'm at, and would hate to lose it all.

1. paradigmsearch profile image59
        paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't want you to close your account either. Otherwise, I won't be able to say, "Say it ain't so, Joe," big_smile

Hang in there. smile

4. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 12 years ago

I wouldn't even bother with the "not my real name" notice. Its not required and I don't think that its a real issue or a legitimate request.

My real name has hundreds of results that aren't me. (and I like it that way)

That's what I thought. I punched my real name into Google and it came back with thousands of people who aren't me.

2. relache profile image73
      relacheposted 12 years agoin reply to this

THIS.

THIS?

1. relache profile image73
          relacheposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's a common Internet way of saying "ditto" or indicating you support what someone else already said.  The use of all capitals is for added emphasis.

3. profile image0

I agree, in principle. But the OP is asking how to resolve the situation, and such a notice could be a pragmatic solution. It is not totally irrelevant that the person with that name may be concerned about confusion.

Don't get me wrong, I understand his side of the situation too. I'll just have to wait and see what the staff at hubpages have to say.

1. skyfire profile image78
          skyfireposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't think you'll get answer from staff in this thread. You need to send them an email if you want quicker response. My personal opinion - Ignore such emails.

2. sunforged profile image70
        sunforgedposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree, It is a solution to a "perceived" problem. I'm suggesting that it is not an actual problem and the request was naive to the point of being laughable.

When, Joe macho made that request, did he realize that Joe Macho was a pseudonym?

I would say, "sorry, but there is little I can do for you,but if anyone ever emails me looking for you, ill be sure to forward the info to you"

Im stunned that there is a "real" Joe Macho and that he writes at HubPages. That must be like finding two exact snowflakes, really, what are the chances!

edit-Using a very creepy, accurate People search I found 30 returns for that name, which compared to most names is a very, very small return.

5. Rosie2010 profile image67
    Rosie2010posted 12 years ago

Hi Joe Macho.  What are the chances huh?  You had already invested time and effort building 105 hubs here on Hubpages, which is an amazing feat btw, under that username.  IMHO you own that username here on Hubpages.  But best contact Hubpages as Patty Inglish suggested and let us know what they say.

Welcome to Hubpages, Joe Macho!!!! smile

I definitely went ahead and contacted the Hubpages team. I'll let you know what they say. I appreciate the kind words.

6. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

I think some people need to realize that if they happen to have a name that's also a commonly used word (like "snow", for example), their name is going to show up being used as a word, rather than as a name.  (I wonder if there's a real Joe Sixpack or Joeblow out there somewhere too.... )  My kids' father is a "Joe".  He's so used to his name being thrown around for one purpose or another, he, himself, uses that name for similar purposes.   big_smile

7. Pcunix profile image90
    Pcunixposted 12 years ago

Or sell your account  to him for whatever the trouble is worth to  you..

8. Cardisa profile image89
    Cardisaposted 12 years ago

I don't think it's necessary to change your name, as Patty said there are thousands, maybe millions with the same name. It's not like you are plagiarizing the guy and even if he is using his real name it doesn't make a difference because you are "Joe"  and he is "Joseph".

9. ntmarketing profile image61
    ntmarketingposted 12 years ago

Leave it as is because you have no legal obligation to change it.

10. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

Ignore him.

11. Rebecca E. profile image77
    Rebecca E.posted 12 years ago

don't btoher changing it, it's your username and the trouble would not be worth it.  You don't need to change it.

12. profile image0
    jenuboukaposted 12 years ago

Hey think of it as "first come first serve"  It was not like personal thing against the guy, and you are right, all the hard work you have done would have to be reversed in a sense. No way, not in my book. It is a lot of work, effort, and time to publish and be read under a name for a period of time.

13. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago

If he wanted to use his real name he should have had the foresight to do that. When we had the chance to have individual domains I created one under my own name to avoid the possibility, no matter how rare, of the chance someone else would use my name.

No one can demand you change your user name.

14. Joe Macho profile image82
    Joe Machoposted 12 years ago

Well, the Hubpages team confirmed what you've all been saying. There's no reason for me to change it. Thank you all for your input!

1. Rosie2010 profile image67
      Rosie2010posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm happy for you.. thanks for letting us know.
      Happy hubbing, Joe Macho!!!
      http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Respect/respect-applause-002.gif

15. LeanMan profile image79
    LeanManposted 12 years ago

I have had a similar problem from a company/individual that is unhappy with my user name and claimed copyright.. however you cannot copyright a name or a website URL..... So in the end.... No worries....

16. skyfire profile image78
    skyfireposted 12 years ago

You have to consider the possibility of some of the trolls that are sending random legal notices to website owners to get the profit or pure enjoyment that comes from harassment. I know many cases where some website owners who got random take-down notices just because they don't agree with the content posted. My real name has more than 10k folks in the same state that matches occupation and interests like mine. It is really hard to for any random person on the internet to spot the right person from the lot. If any one person out of this lot asks me to remove content that matches with his life or interest, doesn't mean I have to respect that request. I simply don't care unless I get legal notice and that too valid one.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)