So, many of my hubber pals know that I have been very sick for about a year and a half now. Im still seeing doctors but as of yet, there is no answer to what is causing it.
My awesome city (Wyandotte Michigan) has an energy efficiency program with all kinds of incentives and aid programs. Ive got them here right now insulating my house. This has got me thinking....
This place has a nasty crawlspace.
I got sick about a month after I moved in.
Mildew making me sick maybe?
The house was uber-inspected and they said there is no black mold so I was not thinking that the house is causing all this s#%t Ive been going through.
Should I get my hopes up about this?
If you have a spare bit of cash, you could consider investing in an air purifier.
We have a bit of a problem with mildew/damp so I bought an Airfree air purifier which sucks air into it so that any particles get incinerated by a ceramic doobrie inside. You need to leave it permanently in the same place (bedroom would be best), and keep it on, 24/7. It's expensive but the upside is you don't need to buy cartridges. Since having this machine I've noticed a definite improvement, although the problem hasn't gone away altogether. I have a hub about the different types of air purifier if you're interested!
I would also recommend buying a dehumidifier as dry air gives a less hospitable environment for mould to grow.
Another idea: did you buy lots of new furniture and carpets for your house? They could be emitting harmful gas.
I just checked out Airfree. It is a little spendy, yes, but not so much that I would not go ahead and get it - if I was sure it would work
Interesting though - I found it on Sharper Image. I thought that site went under?? hmmm. lol
Thanks for the tip. I will investigate further!
As far as I can see in the medical journal literature, mildew seems to be associated with asthma and other allergy-related respiratory diseases. I would assume you've had some general tests for allergies, at the very least, even if not tests for specific allergies.
You could try going onto PubMed and Google Scholar and searching for mildew plus some of your most important symptoms, to see if there are any relevant publications.
Some "allergies" to chemicals are another thing altogether. They don't follow the classic pattern of allergies with respect to IgE levels etc but seem to involve completely different mechanisms, so they are far more difficult to pin down.
Allergies have always been an issue for me, more so when I was young.
Ive had some mild respiratory problems since moving here but the main issue is stomach and abdominal pain.
I dont see a ton about mold causing digestion problems, but I have found a footnote here and there.
I havent heard of PubMed before....
I was painting the basement in my house, and one part had black mold spores on a ceiling beam, presumably as a result of rain-water dripping in from the car parking space above.
I brushed it off with a dry paintbrush, but all that night afterwards I was racked with a coughing fit somewhat resembling an asthma attack.
By next day it had gone. I was tired from lack of sleep but the cough had gone.
It got me searching on the internet and what I was found out amazed me (I didn't know about dangerous mildew and mold in houses).
It is frightening, but there are loads of advice online to find out how to safely get rid of it, and prevent it re-occurring.
I found this article by Dr Jospeh Klein to be enlightening (and frightening).
Black mold is toxic and I agree with Izzy M you should read the article on mold.
The workers were just telling me horror stories of folks abandoning their homes because of mold....
My Doctor told me that he did not believe my symptoms were caused by mold but that if they were it would take 2 months to recover.
My symptoms matched those in the article above exactly, with the addition of severe abdominal pains. Spooky, really.
I did buy the Airfree and it seems to be helping the air quality quite a bit.
Well it has been two months and here is the verdict:
I am healthier than I have been since October 2010, one month after I bought the Poison House. Still a few minor symptoms but very little pain. I am nearly finished unpacking and Im able to keep up my house pretty well. Started a landscaping project with a new friend and we are having a blast.
Just stopped in to post (after all my whining lol) that I am stronger but more importantly - Im feeling happy for the first time since I had to move.
Thanks to all for the advice and support
I know its accepted in SC.. WELL lets just say the EPA is not active
Gotta couple of pics with mushrooms growing through the carpet in spare room ,that they didnt have a problem with
by FootballNut 2 months ago
Let's look at the things that kill us as PEOPLE in life:Vehicles (man made)Our diets (man made foods)Fighting (man made wars)Illnesses (which are tied to our diets, ie heart attacks, cancer and the likes)Age (numerical digits are man made)Ourselves (we kill ourselves because man made problems make...
by Peeples 5 years ago
Where can mold be that I can't see?We bought a new house 2 weeks ago. Our daughter has had hives for the last week. We have ruled out everything and will see a specialist next week. We just heard from neighbors that the old people that lived here got out because of mold. I don't see any! Where...
Copyright © 2018 HubPages Inc. and respective owners. Other product and company names shown may be trademarks of their respective owners. HubPages® is a registered Service Mark of HubPages, Inc. HubPages and Hubbers (authors) may earn revenue on this page based on affiliate relationships and advertisements with partners including Amazon, Google, and others.
|HubPages Device ID||This is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.|
|Login||This is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.|
|HubPages Traffic Pixel||This is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.|
|Remarketing Pixels||We may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.|
|Conversion Tracking Pixels||We may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.|