Is anyone making a full time living with Hubpages?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (57 posts)
  1. hotwebideas profile image63
    hotwebideasposted 11 years ago

I see a lot of advice from hubpage members on hubs, questions, and forum posts and the common advice seems to be to write a lot of hubs. No problem. I am writing a decent amount of hubs on technology, nutrition, and entertainment, but does anyone actually work full time and earn a full time living from hub pages?

1. Randy Godwin profile image60
      Randy Godwinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sure!  The staff!  lol

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6186572.jpg

1. lobobrandon profile image88
        lobobrandonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

As Randy says wink

2. hotwebideas profile image63
        hotwebideasposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The staff does not count. LOL. I mean just the members and non-staff.

3. Danette Watt profile image81
        Danette Wattposted 11 years agoin reply to this

lol

2. Gina Coole profile image60
      Gina Cooleposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The general consensus, based on Hubbers collective experience, is to spread your writing as wide as possible across the web.  Putting all your eggs in one basket is crazy - Hubpages could disappear overnight or earnings might fall dramatically because of changes in Google's search algorithm (this happens quite a lot!)

So true!  And there are other pitfalls to only writing in one place.  Complete mismanagement, greed, and not listening to the writers themselves often dooms a content site to oblivion.  This happens quite often, believe it or not!  yikes

2. Johnrr631992 profile image84
        Johnrr631992posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Keep in mind that you cannot write the same article on other sites according to Google's policy. So putting all your eggs in one basket is essentially what you must do, although if Hubpages did disappear, then you could repost all your articles on another site like info barrel, but as of now, posting an article to more than 1 site would put you on grounds for banishment from Adsense.

1. Aficionada profile image78
          Aficionadaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Huh? A lot of Hubbers write for multiple sites, including sites they own. Why do you say it's necessary for the OP to put all his eggs in one basket? I don't understand what you mean.

And what about posting different articles on various sites?

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
          Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Why?  As Aficionada says, you can write different articles on different sites.

1. Johnrr631992 profile image84
            Johnrr631992posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes you can write different articles on different sites, but I got the impression they were talking about posting an article on Hubpages, then copying and pasting on another site, which is against the Adsense Terms of Service. Duplicate content is not allowed, but if its different info, then all power to you.

1. sunforged profile image71
              sunforgedposted 11 years agoin reply to this

https://www.google.com/adsense/localized-terms

care to point out where such a restriction exists?

It wouldnt be wise to use the exact same content and most of the writing sites wouldnt allow it under their own use policies, but it has nothing to do with adsense tos.

the closest restriction would relate to copyrighted material, which wouldnt have been relevant if anyone had actually hinted at such a thing (which they didnt)

When I see these money/living questions, I always just wonder why you would want to! Giving up 40% of a couple of hundred bucks isnt a big deal, might be worth it for ease of publishing but giving up 40% of an amount of money you would consider a "living" should come with personal phone calls and backrubs .. once you are capable of generating the type of traffic that makes up a "living" you should be doing that 100% for yourself.

3. moneytoplist profile image60
      moneytoplistposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have read a hub about successful hubbers yesterday and it seems that writing product related hubs instead of informational hubs is a good way. People doing this earn sometimes more than $5 per hub every month. I believe this way it is possible to make solid full time income.

moneytoplist, do you mind sharing me the link to that hub?

1. moneytoplist profile image60
          moneytoplistposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, MoneyTopList.

4. Marisa Wright profile image86

No, and it would be very silly to attempt to do so.

Theoretically, you could make a full-time income from HP.  It would be a long-term investment:  you'd have to write a few hundred Hubs, then work on  promoting them to achieve good ranking in Google's search engine results.  It might take a year or two to reach your goal.

Trouble is, you don't own HubPages - and you can't be sure they won't go out of business, or sell the site, before you reach that goal.  Sure, you can keep copies of your Hubs and move them elsewhere if that happens - but that's almost useless, because they've lost all their backlinks and age and you'll have to start all over again.

Although I don't expect HubPages to go bust, I'm sure the bloggers at Today.com didn't expect it to disappear either - but it did.

HubPages is a good learning platform and a good place to earn some online income.  But it's not wise to put all your eggs in someone else's basket.

5. Marci Skinner profile image61
      Marci Skinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Are there any webinars anyone can reccommend on blogging and getting followers to a blog?

2. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 11 years ago

This question is asked frequently (about once a week) and a simple forum search will turn up those threads so you can read them.

Whoa Nelly!

Sorry, Nellie apparently fled the site!  smile

relache was Nellie. LOL

1. Jule Romans profile image95
            Jule Romansposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Wait, WHAT????

2. relache profile image72
            relacheposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm quite sure I am not not now and never was Nelle Hoxie.  That marketing juggernaut departed some time ago.

However you can find her doing her Cape Cod thing on her own site now.

1. Jule Romans profile image95
              Jule Romansposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you. :-) I corresponded with both of you... so I was going to be very confused!!!

3. sukritha profile image63
    sukrithaposted 11 years ago

Just work hard and you will get the answer for it... Simple

1. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Are Indian auntie hubs still the way to get traffic to this site?

1. Rik Ravado profile image86
        Rik Ravadoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I used to make a fortune from Indian Aunty Hubs.  I had a couple of referrals who signed up and wrote several hundred Hubs.  About 2 years ago HubPages/Google drove them away and they took the aunty hubs with them. My traffic dropped like a stone sad Sigh! Proof you can't depend on anything online, even 'hot' aunties!

2. Teresa Schultz profile image67
        Teresa Schultzposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What are Indian Aunty hubs?

4. pisean282311 profile image63
    pisean282311posted 11 years ago

yes if ur per day expense are in cents...

That is not too encouraging, but it sure is fun watching the community form around everyone's hubs.

2. Bianu profile image60
      Bianuposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Or if you write 10,000 hubs

5. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
    PaulGoodman67posted 11 years ago

As others have said, it's probably best to aim for a "part-time" income from several sources, including HubPages.  Much as I love HP, it's not good to put all your eggs in one basket.

6. Bard of Ely profile image80
    Bard of Elyposted 11 years ago

It is the best site I know for making money online though I really wish I could make a lot more here because I still haven't made it into the high-earners!

1. lobobrandon profile image88
      lobobrandonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You've got the hubs to do it though. At least in terms of numbers smile

7. SPomposello profile image68
    SPomposelloposted 11 years ago

That makes sense, about putting your eggs in one basket, but the thing is there's not too many great places to write for nowadays. I think HP is great. I used to write for Associated Content which is now Yahoo Contributor Network, but the change in management really hurt the site, IMO, they got rid of their featured contributor program which paid $10/article for 4 articles a month, they really screwed a lot of people like myself over when they did that. Sure you can still write PER view on there but I really don't trust writing for that site now after all that's happen.

I've heard good things about Experts Column but haven't tried them and then there's Triond which I wrote for for a little while, had some decent earnings here and there, still have my account with them. But HP is such a better site than Triond due to not just earnings (which I've seen an increase since I started) but due to its community and readership.

Yep, I removed most of my articles from AC/Yahoo several years ago after they began doing the old favoritism thing with their cheerleaders and in their contests.  Glad I did so as it has steadily become an us" versus "them" site as most content sites eventually do.  And some of the people on the forums there are even more irritating than I am.  No really!  tongue 

I sold some stuff and made a few bucks there but since the purchase by Yahoo there are some awfully disappointed members there now.  At least those who haven't abandoned ship already. 

Even with all of its faults--and yes HP has plenty--this site is still one of the best other than having your own-- in my opinion.  There are others I'm checking out now, though.  I hear good things about them too.  smile

1. Don Simkovich profile image60
        Don Simkovichposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Glad to hear your views on Yahoo/AC ... I think it's easy to pick up a $10 buck article or 2 per week but I've not been very active there.

2. SPomposello profile image68
        SPomposelloposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yeah. I still have my account with them but I don't write or anything, I just keep it for pizza money LOL. I get like $5-6 a month from there in my paypal. I'm considering taking some of my film reviews from there and "rebooting" them on here.

8. WD Curry 111 profile image58
    WD Curry 111posted 11 years ago

Maybe, but not me. How important is that? Let's talk value. I have made little money on HubPages. Bottom line . . . traffic. To make money with this gig, you need traffic in the hundred thousands. It is not impossible. Those with savvy and a good head start have done it. They have been digging in the mines for ten years.

I am and artist. I don't need that kind of traffic to sell my wares. I have figured a pretty good plan from my learning experience here. I would say the last six months are equivalent to two years of creative writing and tech courses. My next step is to establish a gallery and a store. I was wondering what to do next when I got here, and now I know.

See, hubs tie in to other places and have a long shelf life, if you do it right. It has opened up regional and local opportunities for me. I owe some contract work to my exposure. Listen, I give them a card . . . it says, "Google WD Curry 111".

That is worth something, right there. I say thanks, staff!

9. Don Simkovich profile image60
    Don Simkovichposted 11 years ago

I like HP ... and enjoy the "formula" for writing. I would also suggest looking to magazines ... yep they still exist. I'm going to begin searching out some for freelance articles.

Very cool, Don. I am interested in seeing what magazines you uncover as the best.

2. Randy Godwin profile image60

Yes, there are some great mags I'd like to have a shot at.  Right now I'm working on a KindleBook.  I sold a few stories several years ago to another publisher who is still selling them on Amazon.  Something new to try as I'm getting bored here.  smile

I think I have 18 articles on AC/YAHOO with around 300,000 views or so.  I'm not sure as I seldom even check in there anymore.  I detest that Angie b*t*h!  lol

1. Angie Jardine profile image69
        Angie Jardineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Do you mean me? I hadn't realised I was a b*t*h ... sad

Not unless you've changed your name and your looks!  lol  In your case I would have to ask your husband! yikes

10. Richieb799 profile image77
    Richieb799posted 11 years ago

Earning Money on HP relies almost entirely on Google, and Google is a monopoly wink I just use it as an extra source, I'm managing to achieve a payment each month, but the amount can vary dramatically depending on the season.

1. David 470 profile image80
      David 470posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Same here. The amount can vary. I was making much more last fall than I am now.

11. profile image0
    rmcleveposted 11 years ago

This is interesting. I didn't know too much about HubPages worked, but I've been trying to decide whether or not to open an account on other writing sites (Squidoo, in particular).

Personally, I have enjoyed writing here more than I have on many other sites (with the exception of Viewpoints, which was an unpaid gig). I do have 2 websites with blogs, so I do have some diversification, but I would rather write here, to be honest! The community is so friendly and you get so much feedback so quickly.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, everyone! They've taught me a lot already. I'm going to follow some of you so I can keep up with your work.

12. Debbiestrange profile image59
    Debbiestrangeposted 11 years ago

What is Yahoo/AC?  I've never heard of it. 

I did a great deal of freelancing but got bored with it because so much of it is SEO material and I ended up having to write ten articles about the same product and all the articles had to be different.  There is just so much one can say about a dog collar.

Would love to be directed to some of the other sites that offer payment for articles, if anybody would like to share.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86

Wizzley, Infobarrel, Excerpt, Xobba, Seekyt, Zujava.

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
        PaulGoodman67posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Squidoo is the 2nd best for earnings in my experience after HP.

13. johnakc profile image41
    johnakcposted 11 years ago

I am also trying to do it..
    But don't know when I will be able to do it.
    But I am not giving too much time to it..

14. SPomposello profile image68
    SPomposelloposted 11 years ago

The thing about sites like Today.com and AC/Yahoo is that not only do they pay PPV, they also offer upfront payments. IMO, upfront payments is where things get ugly for writing sites in general. Because the company's budget is at a bigger stake. The same goes for PPV, but the real killer for them are upfront payments I think.

However, sites like Xomba and HP thrive on Adsense, HP Ads Program, Ebay ads program, etc. to compensate its members. So, in a sense, I guess you can say that is saving them money. The more money they get to save, the longer they will stay on top and the less likely they will be able to disappear.

That's why AC/Yahoo and Today.com went through so many changes as far as compensation goes. They were losing money, started looking for reasons to get rid of articles and some members. With AC/Yahoo's Featured Contributor program, lots of us applied for it and got in. We were in the program for at least a good 2 years or so, making $10/article for 4 articles a month plus PPV. THEN, all of a sudden, Yahoo steps in and changes everything.

"Oh some of these featured contributors are not good enough"

Well then, should'a thought about that BEFORE accepting our application! Talk about getting stabbed in the back.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86

Exactly.  I think upfront payments are dangerous for any rev-sharing website - because we all know that most brand new Hubs earn money at the rate of a few cents a month.  It takes time for them to start generating serious income.  So if HubPages pays even a few dollars upfront for a Hub, they'll take several months to recoup that investment.

HP has just started paying upfronts for the Apprenticeship Program, but that's a small number of Hubbers and HP is dictating what they write about.  So that's probably manageable.  But just imagine what Today.com's cash flow was like - paying out $1 for every blog post, month after month, and then waiting anxiously for the income to start. Which it didn't, because the site was full of people blogging about their cat or what they ate for breakfast, and their forums were full of people giving amateur advice on how to promote their work.  No wonder they didn't survive!

1. Druid Dude profile image60
        Druid Dudeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I would have to eliminate my present account...but traffic is so low I doubt I would survive on the income. I would need to mainstream some hubs...Popnet....you know, like Pop music.

15. techniche profile image56
    technicheposted 11 years ago

I am trying to do the same ,, but due to my personal Blog and studies , it becomes tiresome work ,,,

16. shin_rocka04 profile image68
    shin_rocka04posted 11 years ago

I'm making no where near a full living, but indirectly it's helping me to make some good money from my blog through link traffic.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)