What Would YOU Say To YOUR YOUNGER SELF

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (14 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image83
    gmwilliamsposted 11 years ago

As we get older, we have (hopefully) become wiser and learned many life lessons.   We made some mistakes and endured some pitfalls in our respective youth.   However, we moved on.    If you had something to say to your younger self, what would it be?

1. Abdul Wahabone profile image60
      Abdul Wahaboneposted 11 years agoin reply to this

i would say , enjoy every single second you have it the fun is not gonna last for long.
      Manh i just keep remembering how much i wanted to grow up when i was young, now i know kid's lif is better, free from the worldly tensions and always in joy and happiness
      Nice question, u just flashed my past for me.

2. wordsmith32 profile image60
      wordsmith32posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Invest in gold early

3. divacratus profile image86
      divacratusposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have a lot of things to say to my younger self, but most importantly these two:

1. Please go out and mingle with people more (I was sort of a hermit back then, still am but I am no longer uncomfortable in a social gathering).

2. Please stick to what you believe in. There have been times I just went by what others told me, and it never did me well even if I knew the same.

I don't have any regrets now though. I'm in a happy zone but it would have been nicer to have gone through all this a bit earlier.

4. profile image0
      Motown2Chitownposted 11 years agoin reply to this

First - Never say never.  In my lifetime, I've done every single thing I said I'd never do.  Some of these things were bad choices and had the expected bad consequences.  One changed my entire life for the better - I always said I'd never marry.  My husband is the best thing that's ever happened to me.

Second - Don't be afraid of failure, but don't let it stop you.  A continual attitude of moving forward is one of the best gifts we can cultivate for ourselves.

Third - No matter how much something costs you, financially, emotionally, or otherwise - if it's something that will make you a better person, bring you a greater understanding of life, the world, and the people around you - do it, and you will wind up with the resources to continue with strength and support.

5. Melissa A Smith profile image96
      Melissa A Smithposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Me: You're finally going to get a dog

Younger me: YES!!!!!

(I don't have the heart to expose myself to the horrors of adult awareness)

2. JKenny profile image90
    JKennyposted 11 years ago

Don't live your life in fear all of the time. Not everybody in this world is bad and you can't go through life on your own- you need to have a solid group of people around you for support. Also, try to smile more, being young is awesome, no responsiblities at all. Enjoy it. That's what would I say after giving younger me a good slap across the face hahaha! big_smile

1. gmwilliams profile image83
      gmwilliamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

All excellent replies.

1. Scribenet profile image61
        Scribenetposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I would definitely tell my younger self not to worry about the small stuff and just enjoy life for a few years longer before settling down.... youth lasts for such a short time and responsibilities stretch far, far ahead!

3. Distant Mind profile image67
    Distant Mindposted 11 years ago

Start doing your own thing as early as possible, don't bother with university and firmly say no to your parents pushing you in that direction. Get into the online game as early as possible, think big and don't abandon your most ambitious projects. Do not waste your potential on things that you don't feel fully invested in be it business or music. Follow your heart and don't be afraid to end bad relationships. If things don't work, the relationship is doomed anyway, so wasting any more precious time on it is pointless.

Believe and strive. Always.

4. profile image48
    redshedposted 11 years ago

I would, of course, tell young redshed DO NOT DROP OUT OF COLLEGE! That guy? The one you broke up with when you were 16 thinking you would find someone better? KEEP HIM! ALWAYS check your transmission fluid. Tell people they matter. It makes them happy and feel good about themselves. And you too as a result. Step outside of yourself and look back from a new perspective at least once a month. A week. A day. At LEAST. And I know it's a cliche, but dancing really does rock. Don't care so much what other people think. I would tell young me all this and more. Problem is, young me was pretty stubborn and probably wouldn't have listened. Or maybe young me COULDN'T have listened. Maybe young me needed to struggle and make mistakes THEN to know what to tell me now. And, in 20 years I have to wonder what I would tell middle aged me now?

5. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

Probably nothing.  Things turned out well for me and I wouldn't want to risk changing that.

6. fpherj48 profile image61
    fpherj48posted 11 years ago

gm....Excellent topic.....I've actually run this through my mind a few times in the not-so-distant-past.
    "Miss Paula,"   Sit your young butt down and listen to me!   If you insist upon obsessing over the small things...that don't matter a hill of beans in the big scheme of things.....you will wear your self ragged before you're 30 years old.  Calm down, girl, get a grip and stop trying to beat the clock and be all things to all people.  Learn to live in the moment and enjoy the joys of life that are all around and free to those who will SEE them.
    Take time to do what you love to do and take care of your mind and body at all times.  YOU are not as invincible as you seem to think. 
    Give generously when and to whom you choose and graciously accept that which is given to you.   Have patience with those who lack intelligence and social graces.....embrace them and help them to know better.   Keep your heart, your mind and your arms always open........never be afraid to love or to forgive.and to BE loved........Be ever mindful of how very precious and tenuous "LIFE" is...for each and every one of us.   Never let others bring you down.......Keep you focus on the BIG PICTURE.   Remember these things and your life will be much more peaceful and fulfilling.  And by the way, girl, you aren't nearly as smart as you THINK you are...or that one day, you will be!!"

7. Missy Mac profile image67
    Missy Macposted 11 years ago

Exercise and eat well balance meals. 
    Put that junk food down.  (Too much sugar is not good)
    Breath

Good question!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)