What advice would you give your younger self?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (24 posts)
  1. Terrielynn1 profile image85
    Terrielynn1posted 6 years ago

What advice would you give your younger self?

If you could go back and give advice to your younger self what advice would you give and what would it change?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13624858_f260.jpg

1. profile image0
      Ikoro Iyineledaposted 4 years agoin reply to this

1) Trust, is the worst, of all the virtues.

2) Life is not to be lived as a lamb, in a world full of lions.

3) In the multitude of counsellors, there is safety. (Not my words. The words of Solomon. But I came across them too late - apparently).

4) A single tree does not make a forest. (Not my words either, but words I trusted to the extent of overlooking - till it became too late......again, apparently).

2. poppyr profile image91
    poppyrposted 6 years ago

When I was 16, say "Study medicine at university!"
    When I was 17, I'd say "write for HubPages, not Helium!"
    When I was 22, say "Don't sign that publishing contract, it's going to take you two years to get out of it."
    How about you?

Terrielynn1posted 6 years agoin reply to this

hi thats great. I would say your to myself. your young take your time. don't be in a hurry. 16 fell in love. 17 got engaged. 18 got married and 20 had my first child. by 23 I had 3 children. THis summer I'll be married 33 years. Learn to love yoursel

3. letstalkabouteduc profile image96
    letstalkabouteducposted 6 years ago

I'd say: "Be kinder to yourself. Take better care of yourself. Get exercise. Eat healthy foods. Get enough sleep. Read more. Meditate. Listen to music. Spend more time with friends. Laugh more. Don't take yourself so seriously."

Thats great advice. I wish Id have said all that to myself. thank you taking time to answer. I have diabetes so eating well is very Important. I wish i wasn't so serious and hard on myself too.

4. Jodah profile image92
    Jodahposted 6 years ago

Start taking your writing seriously earlier.

Hi John. You are so right there. I didn't have enough self convidence to do more with my writing sooner. I sure wish I had though.

5. Glenis Rix profile image96
    Glenis Rixposted 6 years ago

Do your best at school. I would have gone to university at the usual age, widened my horizons, and taken a very different path through life.

I finished school and some college. But doing home work was very difficult when I had a family and home responsibilities. I have a good life, but I could have made it easier.

6. lisavollrath profile image93
    lisavollrathposted 6 years ago

I would tell my younger self to walk away from my family, and never look back. I waited until I was 40 to cut them out of my life, and my only regret is that I didn't do it sooner. It would have saved me a ton of heartache.

Also, spend less time worrying about what you should do, and do what sounds interesting. I waited on this until I was in my 40s, as well, and I am so much happier.

And last: exercise. Find a way to love doing something physical, and make room for it every day. Learning to do this when you're older will be harder, both mentally and physically.

Oh Lisa, I am sorry for you. that would be really hard. Thats good that you are strong enough to do that. The physical part I iunderstand. The habit of  movement is s lot harder now than ever before. I am glad to hear you are happy now. Thank you

7. dashingscorpio profile image81
    dashingscorpioposted 6 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13625560_f260.jpg

Give it your all at whatever station in life you find yourself.
    Too often when you're young you believe you can "turn it on" when you finally find something you "enjoy" doing. However it's the lack of effort {right now} that keeps one from potential other avenues of success they could be experiencing while "waiting".
    It's easy to remain in the pack earning less money when you turn your nose up at the lead or manager positions because it's not your "dream"
    Years have a way of passing you by as you save up your energy/efforts for your (dream). Never overlook opportunities.
    Making success a habit in whatever you do guarantees you'll live well, whether you achieve your "dream" or adapt to an unforeseen Plan B along the way. Time waits for no one.
    "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

hi Dash, thank you I lov e this answer. You are so right plan B is always good. Love the teddy quote too. hope you are having a great weekend. Thank to a lot of people here, I will not leave this earth with should a, could a, would a.

8. dianetrotter profile image61
    dianetrotterposted 6 years ago

Plan to have a better live when you grow old.

Hi Diane, short but sweet and so true. Plan to have a better plan. It will ease some of the stress of growing old. Thank you.

9. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 6 years ago

I would tell myself to take my school years a little more seriously and be sure to have a plan for what I wanted to do when I got out.

HI Keith. that is great advice. I bet a lot of us wish we had done that. Thank you for leaving an answer.

10. Stella Kaye profile image82
    Stella Kayeposted 6 years ago

Learn to drive as soon as you leave school.

Don't get married and don't rely on a man for your income.

Get a proper career and maintain your independence and don't tie your finances up with anyone else.

Don't do anything you don't want to do just to please others.

Don't put off until you're older the things you really want to do or put off going to the places you really want to visit.

Hi Stella, this is great advice. Some things I wish I had waited. You sound like you really have it all together. Or are these the things you wished you had done? Thank you for the great comment. I wish I'd had someone tell me this when I was young.

2. Stella Kaye profile image82
      Stella Kayeposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Hi Terrie, they're things I wish I had done ... trouble is some things take half a lifetime to figure out and by then it's too late! You can only make the best decision at the time but it might turn out not to be the best decision in retrospect.

3. Terrielynn1 profile image85

Stella I used to think that way too. But as Long as we are on this side of the dirt, it is never too late. I read about people getting degrees at 78 and 85. Those people make me look and say it really is ne ver too late. If you want it bad enough.

11. Say Yes To Life profile image81
    Say Yes To Lifeposted 6 years ago

Strive for absolute independence!  Work hard at your talents, AND learn how to make good use of them!  Same with school; choose a practical major and excel in it.  Avoid negative people and those who lack morals, choose good friends, and most important, BE a good friend!  Save and invest your money so you can retire early!  Along the way, stick to healthy and wholesome activities, so you can ENJOY LIFE!!!

HI Yoleen, that is great advice. THank you for answering. I hope you enjoy life and happy and healthy.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)