Why is NASA developing a supersonic jet?

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (32 posts)
  1. jackclee lm profile image80
    jackclee lmposted 7 years ago

Just curious. Why is NASA building a supersonic jet when their mandate is to explore space?
    Why don't they build a replacement for the Space Shuttle?

jackclee lmposted 7 years agoin reply to this
    2. Credence2 profile image80
      Credence2posted 7 years agoin reply to this

I don't know, but I want NASA back, whole. Someone was talking about a return to the Moon by 2020. But that seems a bit ambitious as we don't yet have a replacement for the shuttle. There is talk about a Mars landing during the 2030s. The problem is that there is too much talk, and too little commitment. Where is the JFK style of setting a goal in the pursuit of space objective with the plan to see it through, and everybody committed to making it happen?

We might share the goal of making NASA great again.

Credence2, I am with you on that. I am just questioning why NASA is engaged in some projects that are clearly outside it's mandate...
        It seems to be a common theme with many of our federal agencies... For example, the EPA involved with climate change... when NOAA is the primary agency.

2. Live to Learn profile image60
        Live to Learnposted 7 years agoin reply to this

100% behind that idea.

Here is another story that makes you wonder ???
          http://spacenews.com/38626new-mandates- … -missions/

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image87
            Patty Inglish, MSposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Ask Robert Lightfoot.

I'm done here. Have fun.

2. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 7 years ago

Is a supersonic (or more likely a hypersonic) jet the first step in a vehicle to go to space and come back without using giant (and expensive) boosters?

Here is what Senator Cruz comment -
      Cruz, March 12: As we begin the process of putting together a roadmap for the future of NASA, there is one vital question that this committee should examine: Should NASA focus primarily inwards, or outwards beyond lower Earth orbit. Since the end of the last administration we have seen a disproportionate increase in the amount of federal funds that have been allocated to the earth science program at the expense of and in comparison to exploration and space operations, planetary science, heliophysics and astrophysics, which I believe are all rooted in exploration and should be central to the core mission of NASA. … I am concerned that NASA in the current environment has lost its full focus on that core mission.

1. Will Apse profile image89
        Will Apseposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Why don't you just come out and say it?

NASA is government funded, therefore suspect.
        NASA has an awful lot of very bright people working for it, therefore suspect
        NASA has done more than any other organisation to help the world understand global warming...

Therefore it is evil.

What I am asking is why are some agencies conducting research and business outside their main mandate?
          We see more and more projects cross agencies that overlap in their coverage.
          Why have individual agencies if they are free to conduct research in other areas?

Is is a duplication of effort, or worst, a dilution of talent...

You want to eliminate NASA? The supersonic plane is part of their main mission and mandate,  as I already explained. Duplication is seen in the USAF and private companies, but NASA and USAF work together.

No that is not what I am saying.
              I am just questioning there focus?
              why are they focusing on supersonic flights when they should be focusing on space flights?
              It is a fair question, no?

No it is not. NASA is focused equally on both, with a large contingent of workers/staff and all the people in the Commercial Crew partnerships (hundreds of companies) working on both. Very big.  Many in my state.

Why???

Why not ask the director of NASA, himself? Mr. Lightfoot, acting director now, will answer you. His email is on the site.

2. Patty Inglish, MS profile image87

That may be a rationale for doing away with agencies and departments.

3. Patty Inglish, MS profile image87
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 7 years ago

My USAF group has some contact with NASA. The mandate for NASA includes aeronautics (aviation) research since 1958, 2005, 2008, and 2010, maintained in the mandate changes for 2010. The Mission to Mars Within 25 Years mandate by Congress is in addition to the mandate given in 2010 - 2011. Here's what I know so far, all of it already in the news:

2011 NASA Mission Statement Summary:
    Expand human activities across the solar system
    Expand scientific understanding of the universe
    Produce new space technologies
    Advance aeronautics research (like the supersonic plane)
    Maintain and expand aeronautics and space activities
    Educate the public and encourage citizen participation

SUPERSONIC PLANE: The supersonic plane is developed under the aeronautics mandate by NASA's Aeronautics Research Mission Directorate, including The Advanced Air Vehicles Program, the Integrated Aviation Systems Program, and two others.

REPLACEMENT SHUTTLE CRAFT: NASA already hired three companies that are members of its Commercial Crew to build new space craft and these are SpaceX, SierraNevada, and Boeing. I am concerned about the number of crashes SpaceX has had in test flights and cargo missions.

MOON LANDINGS
    Discussion is now that the moon activities will be delegated to private space companies (my US State has over 1,200 space companies already). In fact, the Google Lunar XPrize project had some lunar landers ready in 2013.

THE REST OF SPACE
    The universe outside of Earth and the Moon will be handled by NASA on behalf of USA.
    USA and Japan already have a partnership to gather debris in "outer space" above Earth beginning 2018 -2019, but I think it is also a type of law-and-order patrol.
    The 2013 class of NASA astronauts is training specifically to fly to Mars. A billionaire plans to send a man and a woman to Mars in 2018, but I think the ship will not be ready on time. The NASA Authorization Act of 2015 - 2016 (H.R. 810) reportedly mandates landing on Mars by 2041; but, I have not yet read the complete bill.

Thanks for the detail info. on NASA. I didn't know that.
      Here is what NASA said on their site -
      https://www.nasa.gov/about/highlights/w … sa_do.html

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)