Dead Satellite Will Fall to Earth By September's End, NASA Says

Jump to Last Post 1-32 of 32 discussions (67 posts)
  1. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 12 years ago

Dead Satellite Will Fall to Earth By September's End, NASA Says
    By Clara Moskowitz, SPACE.com Senior Writer
    Space.com | SPACE.com –

A defunct satellite poised to fall back to Earth will make its death plunge during the last week of September, NASA officials now say.
    The spacecraft, an old NASA climate probe called the Upper Atmosphere Research Satellite (UARS), was decommissioned in 2005 and has been slowly losing altitude since. Soon, the 6 1/2-ton satellite will make a final uncontrolled plunge through Earth's atmosphere.
    On Monday (Sept. 12), a NASA update stated that the satellite is now expected to plummet back to Earth during the last week of September. Previous estimates by NASA and the U.S. military, which is monitoring the hefty space junk, suggested the UARS satellite would fall sometime in late September or early October.
    http://news.yahoo.com/dead-satellite-fa … 06284.html
    well everyone watch out for any space junk falling from the sky!

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have an old catchers mitt. Ebay, here I come!

1. Stacie L profile image89
        Stacie Lposted 12 years agoin reply to this

yeah catching a falling piece of space junk may be worth something?:lol

I just hope I'm facing the right way...

2. paradigmsearch profile image60

This could really turn in to something... 1 in 4 the pieces hit land. 1 in 10 (?) that people are around. 1 in 100 (?): hello town, suburb, or city. That last one is probably closer to 1 in 1000. The bad news is that those kind of odds happen every day.

2. knolyourself profile image59
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

My theory is that the US abandoned the space program, which was mostly going to the space station, because of all the space junk that makes the thing no longer safe.

3. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

Oh!

4. lone77star profile image73
    lone77starposted 12 years ago

Wow! At least this space junk is removing itself from orbit. Though the likelihood of it landing in populated areas is slim, the possibility still exists that enough of 6.5 tons will survive re-entry to do some damage. I just hope it doesn't land on anyone's head. NASA has enough budgetary problems without paying damages from a lawsuit or class-action suit.

Should NASA and other space agencies be allowed simply to let space junk fall from the sky? If any such satellite were to cause property damage -- or heaven forbid, kill anyone -- I think the suggestion might be made quite strenuously that space agencies clean up after themselves. Either they should include decommissioning as part of their initial costs (decommissioning funds in an interest-bearing account, perhaps), or they should send satellites into high enough orbit so that orbital decay is never an issue.

I can see NASA and others balking at this idea if lawsuit damages remain lower than the cost of satellite retrieval and decommissioning. It would be sad indeed if they considered human life less important than dollars.

It's starting to look as though the "space age" is off to a bumpier start than we originally anticipated.

Now, if we can just clean up the orbital junk yard!

5. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

Due next Friday, September 23, 2011! All 26 pieces.

6. andromida profile image56
    andromidaposted 12 years ago

NASA did not say anything about where it will fall.They have the option to take it down to Earth on a guided way.

http://www.niehs.nih.gov/about/congress/congress_image.jpg
      Yep, and the President has already given NASA their instructions.

Actually,  the U.S. Strategic Command kind of disagrees with you. smile

"We simply will not know where it's going to come down until it comes down," Air Force Maj. Michael Duncan of the U.S. Strategic Command told ABCNews.com last week."

7. profile image0
    Holmes221bposted 12 years ago

I do hope it falls on my house, as I could use the event to explain the mess.

Next Friday is going to be a very interesting day. Nowhere to run. Nowhere to hide.

2. habee profile image91
      habeeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol

8. paradigmsearch profile image60

Tick... Tick... Tick...

9. Stacie L profile image89

everyone should be calling their insurance agents..
    if health,house and car insurance does't cover this damage, then you're screwed..
    They cannot call this an "Act of God"..

10. andromida profile image56
    andromidaposted 12 years ago

I recommend all to wear  helmets when going outside.

11. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 12 years ago

I will take my chances I reckon. smile

12. paradigmsearch profile image60

Actually, I'm kind of surprised that we don't have some sort of weapon we could use to just blast the thing to smithereens.

1. recommend1 profile image59
      recommend1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Nah - they have them to blast countries and anything that might possibly be attacking the white house, but not for a huge hunk of junk falling out of the sky smile

Now.

2. paradigmsearch profile image60

Odd and now.

13. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 12 years ago

Doe anyone know how much of it is going to survive after travelling through the atmosphere?

1. recommend1 profile image59
      recommend1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Apparently 'significantly large' pieces, so the tinfoil hat will need another couple of layers I think.

1. earnestshub profile image80
        earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have one word for the tinfoil hat set.

Hubcaps!

We don't need them on our cars, they are thicker than tinfoil, and one car's hubcaps can save 4 people.
        We have 600 million cars, so that will take care of quite a few of the tinfoil hat people.

14. paradigmsearch profile image60

Yes we can! Yep, there is a place to run. There is a place to hide.

“As of the moment, NASA says the 35-foot-long satellite will crash somewhere between 57 degrees north latitude and 57 degrees south latitude ... Polar bears and Antarctic scientists are safe.”

15. Kangaroo_Jase profile image74
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 12 years ago

It will most likely fall into the Simpson Desert in Australia, just like Skylab did in the 1980's lol

I remember that. And I have a vague recollection of some media outlet offering a reward to the first person that brought them a piece. smile

1. Kangaroo_Jase profile image74
        Kangaroo_Jaseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yup and I think about a 1,000 people turned up with 'strange, metal like (mangled knives or forks) objects with them' lol

16. habee profile image91
    habeeposted 12 years ago

Is this what happened to Chicken Little??

I just saw a precursor go zipping by as I typed this!

17. NineMillion BC profile image61
    NineMillion BCposted 12 years ago

So thats what I keep finding in my back yard! I thought it was pieces off my lawnmower!

18. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

Latest in the potential disaster here - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-15021323

So it'll be Friday evening GMT - which is less than 20 hours away, but they still don't know where it will land.

19. Stacie L profile image89

so has anyone noticed any falling space junk yet? I'm staying inside as it is supposed to fall anytime now yikes

20. Randy Godwin profile image61
    Randy Godwinposted 12 years ago

Perhaps it will hit my car.  I was told I needed some more "junk in my trunk" anyway.  smile

1. Isabel Melville profile image84
      Isabel Melvilleposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hope it is insured!

1. Randy Godwin profile image61
        Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I might better let my wife sit in in the car just in case, she has insurance! lol

21. Aficionada profile image79
    Aficionadaposted 12 years ago

It seems to have slowed down and changed its orientation, so the timetable has changed somewhat.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44643532

22. Aficionada profile image79

I would have thought that there would be some site tracking its progress now, but I haven't found one just yet.  Does anyone know of such a website?

I may be in the path where it will be visible overhead, and I don't know whether I've already missed it or could still look for it!

1. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I was looking all day, but it seems twitter is the best bet. You'd have thought they would have put a dedicated website up considering the amount of interest this has generated.

Just put 'satellite' in the search box.

~

1. IzzyM profile image87

That is freaky, the whole glow in the dark stuff they did with cats.

23. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

I did read however, that it only takes 1 and half hours to circumnavigate the planet, so if you missed it, it should be back round soon.

It is also travelling in a NE to SW direction in the skies.

have fun here............

"Your message is empty."

1. IzzyM profile image87

Que???

And you are a dingbat as am I and we are doomed.!

1. IzzyM profile image87

Dingbat?

I don't even know what that is, but I definitely am a bit batty. I sat for ages on the terrace tonight with my camera at the ready just in case that satellite should fall.

Then it started raining and I got soaked, so so much for that idea!

1. Aficionada profile image79
                Aficionadaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oh that is wonderful!  I wish I had a picture of that!  No, a video would be even better.

Yes, I think that could possibly qualify as dingbat behavior, but only in the most lovable sense.  No real distinction from battiness, really.

1. Randy Godwin profile image61
                  Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I disagree, AF!  A batty bat, having been recently dinged, will act battier than a normal undinged batty bat.  smile

1. IzzyM profile image87

Is that alliterism? Is alliterism a real word?

2. IzzyM profile image87

You can just imagine me, facing a southern sky, looking skywards at the clouds that were throwing down rain.

Normally we have clear skies.

I just thought that seeing as tonight we didn't, that damn satellite would come down to...annoy us, more than anything.

But what a steal that would be, I might even have seen Google love again if I'd captured the pictures of it landing.

Now instead it is going to land on the house, flattening me in the process. Actually can I just ask that it lands on my stomach and does it flattening process there? That sounds good to me.

With this whole internet thing, we should be able to track the progress of this bloody satellite, instead of imagining all sorts!

Well, I've been having way too much fun over at Twitter.   I did find this tracker.  Several different sites, in fact, but they posted basically this same picture.  I don't know how valid it is - apparently done by an individual.

http://www.heavens-above.com/

Just as I posted this, it showed the satellite over Madagascar.

24. Aficionada profile image79

Thanks for the tip on Twitter, Izzy.  I have an account there that I have never used!!

I did find some times and places that are possibilities, but there are so many IFs included, that I was hoping I could see something on a radar screen or a map or something like that.

It was like... IF it hasn't fallen yet, it should begin passing over the US at 7:45pm and IF it hasn't fallen yet, their best guess would be 8:16pm PST (I don't know why it's not PDT!) - so, 12:16am for me.  And then IF it hasn't fallen yet, it might be visible in the Pacific NW around 9:20pm. (This was an Oregon newspaper website I was reading.)

25. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

Its alliteration, not -ism. Auld daftie me! You really have got a watch the Twitter satellite comments, they are hysterically funny.

26. MichelleA2011 profile image61
    MichelleA2011posted 12 years ago

Last night as I was walking up my street at just about 9pm when I looked up in the sky and saw these bright orange spots in the sky and they were moving. They were not planes but they were moving across the sky. By the time I got up to my apartment and to the window, more kept coming. I had no idea what they were. Then I remembered hearing about the soon to fall satellite and wondered if these were pieces that were burning up in the atmosphere or caught in our gravitational pull. It was so surreal to see.

27. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

That's a great tracker, Izzy!

Lisa, thanks for the update.  (I think the 1-in-trillions odds referred to any specific person.  Any person at all was more like 1:3200.)

1. Lisa HW profile image62
        Lisa HWposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Good point (about the odds).  Also, about Izzy's link to the tracker.  I found the tracker on Fox, and it said that high demand meant it could take several minutes to load.  I didn't feel like waiting for it.

28. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

The last I heard (Boston's 11:00 p.m. news), it's supposed to be falling any minute now (it's 12:14 a.m. Eastern time, and I think they said, maybe, 12:15 a.m.); and it's expected to drop into Canada.  (So much for the ocean near Indonesia, I guess.)  They're saying the odds of anyone's being hit by it are in the trillions (or at least one trillion).

29. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

Has anyone been to the link in the last few minutes?  It looks to me as if something may be different.  hmm  (1:10 a.m.)  I'm just not sure it's not something wrong with the page loading (or something like that).  (It looks like it might be down by what they're saying on there.)

30. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

What a let down! I stayed up all night to learn where it landed, and its 'somewhere over the Pacific' - that was less than an hour after I went to bed. Oh well, at least it missed my house!

1. Lisa HW profile image62
      Lisa HWposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I watched the two of the "tracking things"right up until the announcement that it was confirmed down, but not determined exactly where.  Finally, I just stopped caring about where and decided to just go sleep.  smile  (There was a time there when I was kind of worried for Australia, though.)

31. Iintertrans profile image58
    Iintertransposted 12 years ago

I hope it falls into a plain land with out hurting any one  and I am curious to know how many part in it will be survived .I am really curious.
    But you have started a nice hub with this much of people engaging in  interactions.
    I had voted this interesting .

32. Stacie L profile image89

After days of worldwide suspense, NASA declared Saturday that its six-ton Upper Atmosphere Research Satellite came apart during a fiery fall over the Pacific Ocean.
    The space agency said the decommissioned spacecraft fell back to Earth between 11:23 p.m. ET Friday and 1:09 a.m. ET Saturday. NASA spokesman Bob Jacobs said the Joint Space Operations Center, headquartered at California's Vandenberg Air Force Base, reported that the satellite entered the atmosphere over the Pacific.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44632366/ns … nce-space/
    I hope no one was hit

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)