Do you have a favorite endangered animal? Which one(s) and why?

1. Mighty Mom profile image85
    Mighty Momposted 7 years ago

Do you have a favorite endangered animal? Which one(s) and why?

2. TheRainDancer profile image55
    TheRainDancerposted 7 years ago

My favorite endangered animal is the Adean or Spectacled Bear. Native to South America, these beautiful bears are declining in number to the destruction of their habitat.

My reason for choosing this bear as my favorite endangered animal is purely sentimental. Being that I literally work at a zoo, I fell in-love with these gentle giants on exhibit and have been hooked every since. I work at the Salisbury Zoo in Maryland by the way.

Affectionately known as Poopsie, our Spectacled Bear is the oldest one in captivity in the world and I have had the privilege of teaching numerous children and adults about her species and the devasting effects of encroachment into their native habitat.

These bears are cool in that their diet consists mainly of vegetation. They live in trees and, ours at least, like to swim. As I navigate my way through hubpages and how it all works, I hope to submit various articles on different animals. There are other endangered animals I am fond of too, but Spectacled Bears came to my mind first.

Closed to reply