Do you believe that what is legal is also always just and right?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (13 posts)
  1. Beata Stasak profile image78
    Beata Stasakposted 13 years ago

Do you believe that what is legal is also always just and right?

Watching 'William Kunstler;Disturbing Universe' about one of the most infamous lawyers of the twentieth century, who fought for civil rights with Martin Luther King Jr. and represented the famed 'Chicago 8' activists, inmates in Attica prison as well as the American Indian Movement...many accused rapists, terrorists, mafian boses... Seeing how hated he was by white middles class and even sometimes by his family...one would wonder what do people really expect lawyers to do? Fight for justice for everyone or just to be on the right of the law /and forget what is right, just and fair/?

2. wychic profile image84
    wychicposted 13 years ago

Absolutely not, there are plenty of legal things that are unethical, immoral or amoral, etc. while there are some things that are illegal that aren't necessarily wrong except inasmuch as they go against the laws of your country. A lawyer's job is "to uphold the law," however distasteful some of us may find that at some times...and, I'm sure, however distasteful the lawyers themselves find their cases. I'm sure there has been more than one lawyer who secretly wished they could personally flay and disembowel their clients for their heinous crimes, but their job is to put aside their personal feelings and their conscience and uphold the law. If someone cannot be proven guilty, then by law they are innocent no matter how much circumstantial evidence and "gut feelings" exist on the matter. Every person who has every watched a court proceeding has their own opinion about the defendant's guilt or innocence, as well as their opinion about the "right" side, and these opinions will often differ. Most people choose to ignore the fact that lawyers aren't in a position to make a moral judgment call, they are there to uphold the law...and, if nothing else, part of that law is that everyone shall have representation in court and someone has to do that job.

3. MickS profile image61
    MickSposted 13 years ago

You have to have the Rule of Law, without it you just get a dictatorship; knowing is not enough, you have to prove the point, if you don't and then punish, you are no better than the criminal.  I think it was Ben Johnson who said, 'Better that 500 murderers to go free than one innocent man hang.'

4. ptosis profile image67
    ptosisposted 13 years ago

Lawyers are not paid to,"Fight for justice for everyone or just to be on the right of the law /and forget what is right, just and fair."

Haven't you ever seen the movie 'Cape Fear'? On page 83 of 'The Big Questions', by Steven Landsburg, he wrote,  "Lawyers, by contrast, have a very different culture. Following and impassioned argument the the prosecutor, you'll never hear the defense attorney say, 'Good Lord, you're right! I hadn't thought about it that way before!" The reason , of course, is that lawyers as they themselves will be the first to admit, are not truth-seekers at all."

1. Shri Mc profile image61
      Shri Mcposted 11 years agoin reply to this

They just have to disprove the case with Reasonable Doubt.

5. justom profile image59
    justomposted 13 years ago

NO and thank you for bringing up Bill Kunstler he was for years a hero to me. We need more lawyers like him and less of the money grubbing ones that practice. I always wondered about the word practice, it's what lawyers and doctors do but when I take my car for repair that mechanic isn't practicing, he knows what he's doing! Peace!!

6. 5institutes profile image69
    5institutesposted 13 years ago

To the first question: no.  BUT it all depends on your understanding and source of what is "just and right."

In a country like the US, where the rule is the rule of law, it doesn't matter what a person's family thinks (if said person is a lawyer), what matters is the rule of law: alleged criminals get a fair trial.

There are plenty of examples of something being "legal" not being "just and right" in my mind.  To play it safe, I think unfair taxation is one of them.

BUT I'm not here on HP to get into political or religious controversy...so I'll leave it at that.  Great question, btw.

7. profile image52
    mayank sethposted 13 years ago

Do not stretch it that far. Be in the present and find the answer in your heart of hearts. And who is doing the just duty expected of him/her? Responsible citizens are now a thing of the past.

8. Happyboomernurse profile image85
    Happyboomernurseposted 13 years ago

No, the law is imperfect because it is written by men and women who are not infallible. Also, laws are often interpreted much differently than the original writers intended them to be, which is why we have the Supreme Court.
    Opinions and interpretations can also change over time due changes in our culture, and it often takes many years for a law that is unjust to be changed.
    Still, we are fortunate to live in a country where there is at least a means to address injustice and try to right it.
    The Civil Rights Movement was a time when many fought against injustice in acts of civil disobedience. It takes much bravery to engage in an act of civil disobedience so I respect those kinds of protests.
    As some others in this forum have already pointed out, lawyers are sworn to follow the exact letter of the law, regardless of whether they believe the law is just or unjust and whether their client is guilty or innocent. Sometimes this means they help the innocent go free and they are able to play a role in getting an unjust law off the books, but I don't think that happens very often.
    This was a great, thought provoking question. Thanks for posting it.

1. Shri Mc profile image61
      Shri Mcposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes they sometimes let  the guilty go free unless they can make a case presedent to make it stick.

9. kimfaner profile image61
    kimfanerposted 13 years ago

no. the justice system these days are not that impressive to me.

10. writer21 profile image57
    writer21posted 12 years ago

No. Laws is not a basis to determine the rightness of things.

11. Shri Mc profile image61
    Shri Mcposted 11 years ago

What is legal is clearly not always right because over night we can have a hostile take over of our Civil Rights and Marshal Law can be declared under the guise of an outbreak or organized threat of any kind under the laws of Fema. This would be legal as they are a government unto themselves.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)