jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Have advances in medical technology over-populated the world by negating natural

1. HAYESREB profile image60
    HAYESREBposted 7 years ago

Have advances in medical technology over-populated the world by negating natural selection?

2. melpor profile image92
    melporposted 7 years ago

No, the world population is a self adjusting phenomena. The world population growth is following the classic "s" curve pattern. In other words the population growth rate is slowing down on it own regardless of medical progress. There are still many places in world that still do not have access to the latest medical technology.

3. Iontach profile image85
    Iontachposted 7 years ago

I wouldn't say 'advances..' in it over-populated the world, just medicine itself has caused an overpopulation. Natural selection has gone out the window for mankind a long time ago. people are kept alive and pass on their genes regardless if they are sick, weak or defective (Forgive me if i sound horrible-not my intention). Medicine is also allowing people to live a lot longer than they should. So medicine has eliminated natural selection in humans (in most areas), and caused an overpopulation.

4. HAYESREB profile image60
    HAYESREBposted 7 years ago

Melpor: I didn't take into consideration medical advances in different areas and that is an interesting comment to consider.

Iontach:  Don't apologize....I am there with you.  I am one of those that would have died in child birth, so I am thank ful for medical technology.  However, perhaps really and truly... natural selection should have taken me out.

5. cascoly profile image61
    cascolyposted 7 years ago

definite no - as medical advances are more available, the population gropwth rate goes down.  the countries with the highest population rates are those with the worst medical care.

when families don't have to have many children to provide some security, theey can adopt birth control.  the other factor that is shown to decrease pop growth is education of women

6. alkjr47 profile image60
    alkjr47posted 6 years ago

I don't feel it's the primary cause, but definitely plays a big part. I had just wrote an article explaining how if each couple has 2 children, then they grow up and have 2 children each, and that cycle continues, it exponentially grows out of control. Medication keeps people here longer than natural selection would allow for sure though.

I think medication for children would be the only part that really influences population. Once they are old enough and have children of their own, they start a whole new branch of the "family tree" instead of dying before ever having kids which would've prevented that entire future branch of the tree from ever starting.

So I don't think medical advances alone have caused it, but it does play a part in it.

7. lostohanababy profile image59
    lostohanababyposted 3 years ago

Good question.  In another ten years if not sooner, we may see more evidence of "natural selection" by way of certain Modern Breeding Methods in study at this time.  God willing, I want to be around to see 'how' babies and life of 'other' living forms will be made.  Man is still challenging the Law of Physics and God's principals about how precious a life is and that it is under jurisdiction of God as our Creator!  Hope that makes sense to a few reading this.