Can low IgA cause Crohn's like symptoms?

1. Amy Becherer profile image74
    Amy Bechererposted 7 years ago

Can low IgA cause Crohn's like symptoms?

If I tested negative for Crohn's through blood work, but have autoimmune disease, am I free from the damage that Crohn's inflicts on the intestines?

2. Docmo profile image93
    Docmoposted 7 years ago

Crohn's is only diagnosed through any inflammation in the intestines ( symptoms of fever, diarrhoea, passing blood and mucus, weight loss, ulcers throughout the GI tract and anemia) 
    If you haven't got these and the blood work is normal you will not have Crohn's and you are safe from it.

What autoimmune disease do you have - as low IgA is associated with many but can also be present without any disease.

3. Amy Becherer profile image74
    Amy Bechererposted 7 years ago

Thank you, Docmo.  I had some of the symptoms, which brought me to the doctor.  I lost about 37 lbs. in a few months.  I felt sick all the time.  The PillCam did show significant inflammation in my small intestines, but blood work did not show any indication of Crohn's.  I do have Raynaud's, but have not fallen into any specific autoimmune category, leading me to believe the low IgA stands alone.  I take Pentasa and Hyoscyamine ER daily, which has improved my symptoms and life dramatically.

working