Boys fighting in school

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (38 posts)
  1. aka-dj profile image66
    aka-djposted 14 years ago

I heard of a story just yesterday about a boy who got into a fight over a lunch table at school. The two got stuck into each other, and one ended up in hospital, and later died. I don't know if he was the attacker or the victim, but in any case, one is now dead.
    With all the evolutionary hype we hear on these forums, I would like to know what is wrong with this incident.
    We keep hearing about survival of the fittest, natural selection and all, so here it is being played out in real life, between two rival teenage males. One wins, one looses. It's only "natural". Natures way of weeding out the weak.
    I doubt very much that either boy's religion was the motivating factor, and the justification for the death. The whole community was rocked by this incident, (as was I when I heard about it). Can someone please help me understand? I am having a really hard time seeing it from the evolutionary worldview standpoint. hmm

1. frogdropping profile image77
      frogdroppingposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm confused. Are you saying that from a religious aspect you don't understand why it happened? Or that you need someone that's none-religious to use this horrible event to back up their understanding of how and why we're here?

Either way - it's a horrible basis to use in which to prove anything.

2. tantrum profile image60
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

how can you don't understand something so obvious ? Maybe being a born again christian you're too small to understand ?  When where you re-born , if I may ask ?? big_smile

3. Drew Breezzy profile image61
      Drew Breezzyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Do you mean natural selection? Evolution is a completely different matter.

2. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Shouldn't this go to Religion forums?

aka-djposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nah. It happened in school. big_smile

1. Misha profile image63
        Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well, even though this happened in school, your question is geared towards yet another evolution vs creation fight. smile

Ye.So what? Even if I didn't make it so obvious, most people know my position. Chances are high that I would have got the same or more of a response there. It's not a fight I want, but some answers to real world happenings, I was asking for.
          Anyway, How do YOU see this? Is it right or is it wrong, and why?

2. Eaglekiwi profile image74
      Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No

3. Mark Knowles profile image59
    Mark Knowlesposted 14 years ago

Evolution is a scientific theory not a philosophy. wink

What are you not understanding exactly?

1. Eaglekiwi profile image74

Geez in come the hub police lol you guys are so funny

2. aka-dj profile image66

No. FACT. big_smile (Remember?)
      Is it wrong, or right? WHY? hmm

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
        Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No - the FACT is that evolution happens. the theory is WHY and HOW.

Survival of the fittest is part of the THEORY.

It is neither wrong or right. It is a FACT that one boy (presumably accidentally) killed another boy during a tussle in school. Nothing wrong or right about the FACT that human animals  compete for domination.

It may be that he did intend to kill him, in which case our society will probably judge the boy wrong and lock him up. Perhaps it will be judged an accident.

Are your irrational beliefs some how proven wrong by the FACT that humans compete for domination within a group and this is a proven example of evolution in action?

Oh dear........

Oh but it's RELIGION you always blame for killing. So, by you, it's rational, and therefore acceptable, that this goes on.
          Oh dear..... sad sad sad sad

dj - your ignorance never ceases to amaze me. I never said any such thing about rational and acceptable.

You started this thread with the express intention of having a fight. And you are claiming the high moral ground?

Seriously dude - you need to think about what that says about your religion.

You still haven't explained why it's right or wrong.
              If you accept that it goes on as part of the natural process of "domination", you automatically make it "acceptable".
              If you don't, then say so, and explain why, please.
              As for ignorance, you point out the obvious, but do nothing to educate me.

1. profile image0
                Madame Xposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Do you really not know why this is "right or wrong"? Or do you just want to argue with MarK?

2. Mark Knowles profile image59

You are being willfully ignorant right now.

You are the one saying that it is acceptable. I made no such statement, nor do I believe it is acceptable.

I understand that your religion teaches you to twist what other people say in an effort to make it appear as though they said something that some how proves your case that you are better then them.

Sorry - my moral code does not allow me to do that. It is against my principals.

This answers NOTHING !

It answers everything. You just prefer to ignore the answers. Oh well.

You already have all the answers I guess. smile

4. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

Man thats sad, truly it is!!
    Remember that old song by Sammy Davies Jnr 'Dont Blame It On The Children'
    Maybe youre too young,but basically its a combination of not learning coping skills at a younger age IMO..combine that with Anger ,and it always gonna be a 'sleeping volcano'

I have 3 sons. and I tried to teach them that it takes more guts and willpower to walk away from a fight ,than to committ to one, however my youngest was involved in bullying at school and honestly deep down I wanted to tell him  Go head smack the crap outta the other smart ass kid...but I didnt ,couldnt see how long term that would help my son much.

5. Helen Cater profile image61
    Helen Caterposted 14 years ago

One of my sons was invloved in a school fight. The other lad had benn asking him to fight all day, and outside the gates the lad took a punch at my son. My son is a really big lad, and has never been involved in a fight before. He has been brought up with older brothers whom play fight lots. My son punched the other boy and knocked him out cold. Later that evening the police arrived and arrested him as the boy in question had his teeth put through his cheek and under went plastic surgery. The police questioned my son for hours asking if he used a bat, or was he a boxer, and so on. Eventually they decided my son was completly in the right to defend himself, as the boy had thrown the first punch. I would have felt sick if the outcome was like your story..but can't help thinking kids have to defend themselves, else it could have been the other way around.

Lol that was one helluva punch lol , I agree though , there has to be a balance and sometimes standing up for yourself ,when authorities wont makes it even harder to be non-violent for sure.

6. Eaglekiwi profile image74

What a terrible system for an educated species to adapt surely?

Thank god Im not an animal smile AND I feel for those parents,wonder what they think of your analogy, hmm

Gee wizz, I hope they check out my profile page.

Sorry was responding to Marks anaology. Interesting but theories are irrevelant when ya kids dying or hurt.

What analogy exactly? Do you even know what the word means?

Whether you like it or not, animals (including us) fight for domination within a group.

It is a crying shame that we have never moved on from that. And your ridiculous beliefs are a big part of why we have not.

See any religion discussion and how many competing religions there are arguing and fighting over who has the best god. wink

So far Mark you are the only one attacking and critizing. Ive given up on the amount of times either you or your cronies jump on my back for "Christian principles" when the post isnt even about anything religious lol

Guess its become a habit.

This post isn't about anything religious? Are you serious?

I love your passive aggressive approach though. It reminds me of my mother. She is always getting attacked for no reason. Odd that. wink

7. profile image0
    Madame Xposted 14 years ago

This doesn't have anything to do with either religion or evolution - but two boys who had never learned, or been taught self control. Who kills someone over a lunch table for Pete's sake. One of them should have had the balls to walk away. Neither did. That says more about the lack of self discipline we teach our kids to have than anything else.

8. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

I personally see no link to evolution or religion to this whole thing, the school incident. It's just kids learning to be men. They are full of testosterone and things escalate. This is all silliness and nothing more than a ploy to create another useless argument. Really no different than the school boys fight.

9. Eaglekiwi profile image74

Analogy/Coherance
    means that the cause and effect relation is already established for a similar exposure or disease and/or the relation coheres with existing theories

Yes I used the word correctly big_smile now its playtime,Ive flown the coop.

Buy yourself a decent dictionary woman. You cannot even spell coherence for goodness' sake.

10. aka-dj profile image66
    aka-djposted 14 years ago

Thanks all for your comments.
    Did you really read what I wrote?
    For heaven's sake ! ! ! !
    And I get accused o being weak in the english language.

11. misterspook profile image61
    misterspookposted 14 years ago

So what could have been a rather good discussion about inner-school violence and how we can deal with it has devolved (snicker) into a thread devoted to trying to tear down a scientific theory.

12. Eaglekiwi profile image74

Violence breeds violence thats all I gotta say about that!

And it comes under many guises, from verbal abuse to physical.

From homes to schools ,to the courts and in the prisons.

13. awsydney profile image61
    awsydneyposted 14 years ago

"Nothing comes from violence, nothing ever could, for all those born beneath an angry star, lest we forget how fragile we are"
    ~ Sting

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)