jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Does this sound like too many activities for an 11 y/o girl?

1. Maddy'sPageantMom profile image57
    Maddy'sPageantMomposted 7 years ago

Does this sound like too many activities for an 11 y/o girl?

My daughter Maddy is quite busy. She has the following schedule:

Cheerleading - This is only in the fall. She has practices from 3:00 to 5:30  on Mondays and Wednesdays. Games are Friday late afternoons.
    Dance - This is year round. She has it on Mondays 7:00-8:30 and Thursdays 4:00-6:00.
    Musicals - These are in the spring. Rehearsals are Tuesdays from 3:30 to 6:30.
    Pageants - She is is very many beauty pageants at the up-to national level. Many weekends are spent with these, or practicing her talent for these.

Does this sound like too much? Thank you.

2. nwgirl1 profile image59
    nwgirl1posted 7 years ago

Does your daughter think it's too much? I have a 12 year old daughter and for a girl like her that schedule would be too much(let alone too hard for me to get her everywhere she needed to be) I do want my daughter to be well-rounded and to have the opportunity to be exposed to lots of new things or try different activities, but I also think a break or having a least a couple of days a week for down time is good too - or at least a balance that works better for us anyway smile

3. Dr. Wendy profile image67
    Dr. Wendyposted 7 years ago

Is she getting her school work done and doing it as well as she is capable of?  Does she enjoy all these activities?  Is she grateful for the opportunities you have given her?  It really is good to have extra-curricular activities for a child, it keeps them out of trouble and gives them something to work for.  But, there is such a thing as too much, and that is something that only the parents can decide.  In addition to looking at how all these activities effect your daughter, you  need to think about how it effects your whole family.  Are their other children?  Does everyone in the family have the same opportunity to develop their interests?  (And this includes YOU!)

4. n.pady profile image56
    n.padyposted 7 years ago

Hi Maddy's mom,
    Did you ask Maddy if this schedule is too much for her. For a child who is 11yrs old, I think she has to make the choice. Also, if you are forcing it on her just because you couldn't do it, then I think its not right.

working