Can you have too many tabs open on your computer and if so how many is too much?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)
  1. Pamela N Red profile image82
    Pamela N Redposted 12 years ago

Can you have too many tabs open on your computer and if so how many is too much?

I usually end up with quite a few open at a time while writing due to marketing on social networking sites (that's my story and I'm sticking with it), email and of course HubPages.

Most of the time I don't notice it being slow unless sending an email with extensions but have had people mention, "Wow, you sure have a lot of tabs open," like they noticed I have a boil on my neck or something.

Just wondered if it's a bad thing and if so what can happen?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6215808_f260.jpg

2. dannyhodge profile image72
    dannyhodgeposted 12 years ago

They are wrong - its a much better way of using your browser (in terms of speed and convenience) than opening a load of windows.

The reason it can be a bad thing is because your computer can only do a certain amount of things at once, and the more it does, the slower everything else runs. But if you are just browsing (hubpages/email/social networks), you have no reason to want your computer to run that quickly.

So no, its not a bad thing, and nothing perminant can happen - the only issue really is if you have Msn, Skype, and your browser with 10 tabs open, while you are also playing music. Thats when things may start crashing/running very slowly, unless you have quite a good computer smile

Hope i helped smile

3. TrevorGreenfield profile image47
    TrevorGreenfieldposted 12 years ago

No it's not a bad thing generally speaking. The issue sometimes arises, with Firefox in my case) when you want your browser to remember those tabs and to restore them again when you next open up your browser.

Firefox has a habit of forgetting them at the least convenient moment, ususlly when they install an update.

There are plugins that you can install to manage your tabs and bookmarks but none of them are perfect either in my experience.

The other thing is that having lots of tabs open will eventually slow your computer down.

4. arksys profile image85
    arksysposted 12 years ago

too many things open at the same time basically means your pc will not function at optimum speed ... nothing dramatic will happen to your pc apart from it slowing down a little ... if that's the way you're comfortable then carry on.

5. inevitablesecrets profile image61
    inevitablesecretsposted 12 years ago

I'd say it's a matter of personal prefrence and the capability of the computer you are useing.  As long as it's not hurting anyone and it works for you don't worry about what people say.

6. maggs224 profile image79
    maggs224posted 12 years ago

I have just counted my tabs and I have 14 open as I write but I have just had a tidy up and closed some down lol…. My husband and son both say they don’t know how I work with so many tabs on the go at the same time.

I personally find it easy to move around using the tabs it is almost instantaneous. Like you I always have my yahoo account open so I can deal with my emails these take me to a variety of pages where people have left a comment on one of my hubs or on some of my content in RedGage and of course when people have answered my comment.

I have Face book and umpteen other sites that I am a part of open to keep up to date with what is going on there and it would be tedious if I had to open a new window each time.

My husband and son both tell me that it will slow down my computer having so many open at one time. But to be honest seeing as I am not downloading anything most of the time I don’t really notice it being slow (if indeed it is)  and beside that I don’t move that fast myself so it suits me fine.

7. alzheimersfacts profile image60
    alzheimersfactsposted 12 years ago

Your computer can lock up. It's more an issue of memory than anything else. I have had about 50 tabs open before in 2 browsers... so other than my own head exploding form confusion I dont think there is a limit other than the browser crashing* or computer crashing.

*This is the most likely outcome.

8. Tom T profile image63
    Tom Tposted 12 years ago

The answer is...it depends.  When you open tabs, there is data being stored by your browser in your memory.  Many tabs open means lots of data. Lots of data means lots of memory.  If your computer does not have a lot of excess memory, you could run into problems. Sames goes for the speed of your CPU.  If  your virus program uses lots of computing cycles scanning for viruses in your tabs, lots of tabs means lots of activity by your virus program. (If any of your tab is on a page that is regularly updated or has flash running, this could use up some memory). 

This means the short answer is if you are having problems reduce the number of open tabs. (You can always use bookmarks.)

9. Etherealenigma profile image68
    Etherealenigmaposted 12 years ago

My son constantly complains about me leaving some 50 or more tabs open on my side/account in the laptop. He says it slows down the pc, but I'm always researching several things so it just happens; plus writing in various sites as well. So I don't know if my 50 or so tabs is the "most."

10. cebutouristspot profile image75
    cebutouristspotposted 11 years ago

Depends on what you open smile If you open a bunch of youtube clips (assuming that's your story, lol) then you will surely feel the burn. 

Speed/performance will depends on how powerful your PC is CPU/RAM

Just my two cent worth. 

P.S. I usually have 2 browser open and have around 40 tabs open total.

11. Violets3 profile image53
    Violets3posted 6 years ago

Depends on how good your laptop is. My old laptop would start tripping after 28 tabs........but this new one can handle it just fine. I prefer staying between 10-15 range....just cuz it suits me. I don't like too many tabs, but usually need many open because I don't like finding those tabs again. (the ones used more stay open every time I open my browser).

Late response...but....heh.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)