jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

When one use the phrase "I think so",what are they saying?

1. Apostle Jack profile image61
    Apostle Jackposted 7 years ago

When one use the phrase "I think so",what are they saying?

Can that be considered an incomplete thought?

2. ReikiHelper profile image49
    ReikiHelperposted 7 years ago

Awesome question... I have thought about it too. I think it might be a way for the person to protect themselves from being incorrect, almost like saying "I don't know so". That's my thoughts anyway : )

3. Ruchira profile image78
    Ruchiraposted 7 years ago

Usually, when I use this phrase, I mean to protect myself from being cornered IF incorrect smile

I think when I use this phrase, I want to comment on something and be in the spotlight but again since not sure of it, I tend to say, "I think so" smile)

4. n.pady profile image55
    n.padyposted 7 years ago

it is just that they are acknowledging what you have said.

5. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 7 years ago

i use that term and to me it means i'm only giving my opinion and not actual facts.

6. saanj H profile image77
    saanj Hposted 7 years ago

I usually tend to use this term when I'm not pretty sure about an  answer to the question. This line is usually used by people when there is an existence of probability of a wrong answer too. This saves them from being sidelined from the rest of the lot if the answer is incorrect. This is the easiest and safest way of saying I'm not sure.

7. Harlan Colt profile image76
    Harlan Coltposted 6 years ago

Apostle Jack,

I think it depends on the person and the situation. It could be a genuine response meaning... I believe this to be this way - but I am not 100% positive on it.

OR it could be someone lying or persuading someone a certain way, but leaving the door open just a crack so they can back out of actually lying to someone.

Thus it could be genuine or manipulative, it really depends on the person and/or the circumstance.

- Best Wishes
    - Harlan

8. profile image0
    Indigitalposted 6 years ago

I normally say I think so when I'm completely uncertain what to do. I don't like to be a complete novice at most things, so if it's not of huge importance, I'll pretend to know what to do, so if the other gets it right; I'll look clever!