jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Little Village Academy, an elementary school in Chicago, has banned lunches from

1. BobbiRant profile image61
    BobbiRantposted 6 years ago

Little Village Academy, an elementary school in Chicago, has banned lunches from home for 6 years.

Do you think it is OK for a school to ban children from bringing lunches from home?  Should children be forced to eat the school lunches?  It was estimated a large percent of the lunches there go uneaten.  Is uneaten lunch healthier than food they bring from home and will actually eat?

2. RTalloni profile image88
    RTalloniposted 6 years ago

This is interesting!

On this end of parenthood, I wish I had known more about the nutritional needs of children in modern society when mine were little.  With all the info available to young parents today, no one has an excuse for not understanding those needs. 

The social implications along with the health considerations are a combined concern.  I would be equally concerned about the message my child would get about his or her home, as I would about the quality of food he or she would be eating. 

Schools are not exactly known for their ability to meet those needs, yet they are insisting that parents give up their responsibility in this area?  Hmmm....

3. Mr. Happy profile image82
    Mr. Happyposted 6 years ago

That's ridiculous - what if you can't afford to buy your lunch at school? You don't eat?

4. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image97
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 6 years ago

I think it's absurd.  I'd like to know a whole lot more about this story, so off to Google I go.

5. randomcreative profile image94
    randomcreativeposted 6 years ago

I was outraged when I read the article about this school decision last week.  It is not okay for a school to do this.  As someone who still brings her lunch to work everyday because it's cheaper and healthier, I would be furious as a student or as a parent of a student there.  This is a violation of freedom of choice.  Whether or not students are eating healthy food at school if they're eating at all is none of the school's business.

working