jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

If you a teacher how would you handle making a difficult phone call to a parent?

1. sharnas profile image58
    sharnasposted 6 years ago

If you a teacher how would you handle making a difficult phone call to a parent?

2. NathanielZhu profile image71
    NathanielZhuposted 6 years ago

Depends on the situation
    Most of the time, I won't call the parents.

From experience, parents can only make things worse. I know they have responsibility for their child, but this is the child's life and their decision.

If it is a crazy/hopeless case, then I would call the parents and not hold anything back.

Anything else, I would negotiate with the student.

In the past, my dad frequently punished me for school/home failures (many were trivial), but it didn't improve me at all. In fact the more he punished me, the more I opposed him. He has his principles, and I have mine. Change comes from the will of the student, not from the parent.

3. twilanelson profile image60
    twilanelsonposted 6 years ago

I would make a difficult phone call to a parent quickly, with compassion and honesty.

4. ThePracticalMommy profile image97
    ThePracticalMommyposted 6 years ago

Calling parents: If you’re a teacher about make a difficult phone call to a parent, there are several things you can do to make sure all goes smoothly. These are suggestions I myself have used as a middle school teacher. read more

5. profile image0
    susanm23bposted 5 years ago

I was once a teacher and had to make a few difficult phone calls to parents.  The first thing a teacher should do is develop a relationship with parents at the beginning of the school year BEFORE it's necessary to make any difficult phone calls.  When a parent knows that you value his/her child and want to give them the best education you can, they will take unpleasant news with a better attitude.