jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

At what age should you explain sex to your child?

1. JEDIJESSICUH profile image80
    JEDIJESSICUHposted 6 years ago

At what age should you explain sex to your child?

My parents never gave me "the talk". I grew up using Google and learning about things from my friends. For those who did get "the talk", at what age was it? When would you give "the talk" to your own child? How much would you tell them?

2. pandy2323 profile image68
    pandy2323posted 6 years ago

Well, I believe that it seriously depends on where you live. I live in a really good neighborhood and go to a school where sexual activity goes almost unheard of (drugs, crime, bullying is also uncommon). Many of my friends are not even allowed to date until college or later; "[we] need to focus on academics." If you live in a neighborhood like this, I would probably give "the talk" in your child's later middle-school years or maybe in high-school years. I would stick to  However, I understand that many are not as fortunate as I: there are myriad communities where teenage pregnancies are common. In that case, I would probably explain everything by middle-school. If you have a daughter, I might give the talk when she gets her first period. Also, I would probably sneak in some peer-pressure topics as well.

I am still a high-schooler, but this is what I would do when I have children. Good luck! smile

3. Monisajda profile image73
    Monisajdaposted 6 years ago

My mom talked to me about sex when I was about 12 but I already knew the basics. On a funny note, she enlightened me on some of the technical details. Interestingly, I already talked to my daughter about it and she is only 7. I wanted her to understand that there are situations that she needs to avoid and since she is very mature for her age (both in looks and understanding) I needed to explain WHY.

4. Loveslove profile image59
    Lovesloveposted 6 years ago

I think innocence should be preserved for as long as possible.juniour school is far too young,why would a child of 7 need to know about sex ? A girl obviously needs to know about what happens to her  bodiy when she reaches  puberty as do boys ..my grandaughter is 12 and is showing signs of ' becoming a woman' so she has had the girls talk along with the basic sex education..not any great detail ,for now that is enough in my opinion  although she knows if she needs to know anything she asks mum or dad or even me ( gran) Imagine the horror if 'things ' happened and the basic talk hadnt been given .....My opinion is ,if they are old enough to ask they are old enough to have an honest answer ,but the full details are not needed until about the age of 11 or 12 .

5. thebookmom profile image74
    thebookmomposted 6 years ago

I read the best book about this called "Keeping the Little in Your Little Girl"  they suggest before the age of 8....scary, but I think necessary.