jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

College Vs. University

1. wingedcentaur profile image84
    wingedcentaurposted 6 years ago

College Vs. University

I know I could probably 'Google' this but..... I don't want to. Tell me, please, what is the difference between a 'college' and a 'university'? Those terms are often used together as if there is a slight difference, it seems to me.

2. NathanielZhu profile image72
    NathanielZhuposted 6 years ago

College is the first 4 years of a university or other institution. "University" refers to the multitude of degrees offered by a school. They're two different aspects of a school.

3. Jonesy0311 profile image59
    Jonesy0311posted 6 years ago

Most of the time a "college," such as a community college only offers 2 year  or less programs like Associate degrees and certificates. Universities are state-owned schools which offer four-year (bachelor's) and higher (master, doctoral, etc.) programs. I always recommend completing your first two years of undergrad work at a community college and then finishing up at a university, assuming that there is a transfer credit agreement between the schools.

4. Maralexa profile image85
    Maralexaposted 6 years ago

My response would be a question.  What studies are you interested in.  If you wish to get an undergraduate (bachelor's) certificate then possibly go on and earn a graduatre (master's) degree, I suggest you find a good university.

If you are more interested in being qualified in an area such as auto mechanics (this is in high demand now), you might try an institute of technology.

Carefully think through what your education needs are, based on your career interests. 

You will always have an advantage over most other job candidates with higher education and especially in an area desired by a potential employer.

Jonesy 0311 answered your question well.  But I am not quite sure why he suggests college first. 

Thanks for asking the question.  Good Luck.

Maralexa, MBA

5. profile image50
    moisesklineposted 5 years ago

College and university are loosely interchangeable. A college usually awards associate, bachelor's and in most cases, master's degrees, whereas a university, usually offers bachelor's, master's and in some cases, a doctorate level program. College may also refer to community college, which are often called city or junior colleges by some, and typically offer associate level degree programs. And since we are on this topic, I'm currently looking for colleges (or universities!) that offer a degree in healthcare administration. I recently read a California College San Diego student review – their programs look really good. I think, no matter where you apply to, a college or a university, make sure you evaluate the credentials thoroughly to save yourself from any distress in future!
    http://collegeprowler.com/california-co … -san-diego

working