Do you believe that legends about a place or time in history have actually occur

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)
  1. IntimatEvolution profile image68
    IntimatEvolutionposted 12 years ago

Do you believe that legends about a place or time in history have actually occurred and thus real?

Like the legend of Easter Island for instance.

2. The Blagsmith profile image71
    The Blagsmithposted 12 years ago

My school days take me back to the days of the difference between myths and legends and even the distinction between these two words have a kind of myth and legend about them too, as their interpretations can be interpreted different too.

However, that is the wonder and magic of myths and legends they leave us guessing at the truth and it is that fascination that has held us captivated as children camped around a fire exchanging stories. We take them through to our twilight years and our maturity and experience subtly twists them too.

The Birth of Legends reigns in Chinese Whispers.

3. Anna82 profile image61
    Anna82posted 12 years ago

It is interesting and I find it very entertaining, but I don't know if I believe or no (I know it sounds strange.. ) You can't really say either yes or no.

4. Phyllis Doyle profile image92
    Phyllis Doyleposted 12 years ago

It really depends on the legend.  Some legends, like the Arthurian Romances and Easter Island do not have enough definitive proof to document them as being real -- yet there are many theories that make these legends quite possibly true.

Legends like like the Lorelei on the Rhine River who lure sailors to their death? No, that is a mystical legend.

5. Admiral_Joraxx profile image69
    Admiral_Joraxxposted 12 years ago

Most legends specially in our country Philippines are overly magical and superstitious, so I often take them as forms of children stories pass on from generations to generations just to animatedly explain the origin of things and places to kids. This belief of mine is also driven by my 0% experience with supernatural beings and occurrences. I honestly haven't experience any supernaturals in my life. Though a lot of people are claiming encounters with them.

6. Nefarious_Misery profile image59
    Nefarious_Miseryposted 12 years ago

I feel that most legends are based at least by some degree on fact. Just for example, the legend of Santa Claus began from the generosity of Saint Nicholas around 280 A.D. The legend of Dracula was based on Vlad Dracula (or known in the 15th century as Vlad The Impaler).

Though the legends are completely fictionalized, they are still begun based on fact.

7. poetvix profile image56
    poetvixposted 12 years ago

My contention is that everything comes from something therefore myth and legend must be based in some truth, some real event.  With that said, I mean old or ancient legends/myths such as the story of the great flood and the battle of Troy.  For generations it was widely believed that the epic war Homer wrote of was purely fictional.  We now know now the city really existed for it has been found.  There is much evidence to support the war as well.  I think over time and telling myths and legends have become exaggerated to the point they are unbelievable in most instances, but the framework, the concepts had to have begun as reality.

8. lone77star profile image73
    lone77starposted 12 years ago

I don't doubt that many of the ancient myths have some basis in reality, but many of the more recent ones are less likely, simply because the dynamics of myth creation have changed. The really ancient myths were created during a type devoid of writing and oral traditions took ancient stories more seriously. Why the myths sound so outrageous is that the people telling them likely did not have adequate vocabulary.

***The Very Ancient Myth of Metis and Athena***

Take the myth of Athena's birth, for instance. It starts with Zeus swallowing whole his consort (common law wife), Metis. But she was already pregnant with Athena. Later, Athena is born -- not from her father's stomach, but from his head (the seat of consciousness and wisdom). But she was full grown and wearing armor. For a long time (before I knew about Metis), I thought this is where Athena got her wisdom. But no, she got it from the fact that her mother was the wisest individual of all time.

***Compared to Atlantis***

Now, compare this with the myth of Atlantis. Atlantis was the wisest (most technologically advanced?) nation of all time, but was swallowed whole by the sea. Refugees, possibly leaving the capital (head) city, took with them a fully mature civilization and the "armor" and weapons to protect themselves.

The parallels are striking. And the tectonic collapse of Atlantis makes more sense than a grown man swallowing a fully grown woman all in one gulp.

***Matriarchal***

The fact that Metis (Atlantis in its latter days?) and Athena (children of Atlantis) were female might suggest that both cultures were matriarchal. And in fact, the likely candidates for children of Atlantis were either matriarchal, matrilineal or egalitarian in nature -- many of the Native American tribes of western and central North America, the Basques, Rasenna (Etruscans), Suomi (Finns), Hungarians, Sumerians, Georgians (Colchis), Dravidians, and Mon Khmer. There are many other clues, but one of my favorites is that Georgian for mother is "deda" and for father is "mama."

***Proof of Atlantis?***

And we have proof of an Atlantis-like event occurring right when Plato's lost island supposedly disappeared -- 9600 BC.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)